all custom settings getting reset to defaults

Reports about issues that you encounter in Suffusion. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is being officially closed with effect from 3rd February 2019. Future support requests can be posted on the GitHub page at https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion/issues.
nik9

Re: all custom settings getting reset to defaults

Post by nik9 » 10 Apr 2010, 10:09

Thank you Sayontan.

FYI I also found that saved widget preferences were deleted too (i.e. widgets saved to column 2 are gone)

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 10 Apr 2010, 10:14

Nik,
To avoid rework, there is one thing you can do - after you have set up what you want (except for the things that are not working), export your settings. You can do this by going to Introduction -> Export / Import. Save the settings in a file, which you can import whenever you want.

As I mentioned, it is not possible for me to fix this without being able to reproduce this locally. Since yours is one instance where I can modify the settings, can you please leave Suffusion on for one more day? I will try to fix it by tonight from my side.

Sayontan.

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 10 Apr 2010, 11:12

Ah, I finally made a breakthrough. Turns out that some special characters were causing an issue. In the sidebar setup for example, the default text for the sliding panel open text had "Open ↓" and the closing text had "Close ↑". Apparently your server (along with a few others) don't like this in an array and tend to reset things.

I will work on an alternative, while in the meanwhile you can delete the ↓ and ↑ and try saving.

Please leave Suffusion on for a few more hours while I continue the fix. Thanks a lot for your patience!

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 11 Apr 2010, 00:36

OK, so I did a good bit of investigation, including some querying around on WP itself. The upshot is that this is a very weird bug - the moderators on WP didn't really have an answer to this query because it was something server dependent and without a concrete solution. One of them did make a helpful suggestion for me to change my options structure, but that is a huge task in itself (and I have no confidence that it will work as desired). I will undertake it, nonetheless, though it will take me a few weeks.

In the meanwhile please do this. When you are saving the options in the sidebars page, just ensure that you have deleted the "↓" and the "↑" from the Open and Close text respectively. This should work. I did test out the other pages on your site for potential pitfalls, but didn't see any. I will release a version on Monday that will have the default values without these special characters, so that people with server configurations similar to yours will cease being stumped by this.

Also, I would suggest that periodically when you have made a good number of configuration changes, please go to Introduction -> Export / Import and export the settings for posterity. That way, if something like this happens again, you can do an "Import" and fix this.

liaroms

Post by liaroms » 11 Apr 2010, 05:04

I had the vary same problem and removing the arrows fixed it. Thanks and I hope that it can be fixed without too much trouble

liaroms

Post by liaroms » 11 Apr 2010, 06:22

I found another issue which I'm not sure if it's related to this save issue or not. When I set the width in Templates to 1200 it does not make any difference. I also tried to set it as custom but no change from the default 1000. My site is at liaroms.com

liaroms

Post by liaroms » 11 Apr 2010, 08:54

Sorry I solved the problem in my last post I was trying to set the page width in template instead of Size and Margins.

AtlantaBarStarz

Post by AtlantaBarStarz » 12 Apr 2010, 10:41

I'm having the same problems.

I finally got everything looking & working the way I wanted it to on my test site.

I installed the theme on my Live Site, started setting up the same settings on my live site as on my test site and noticed that settings keep reverting!

BTW, Same server, same wp version, same suffusion version, just a different directory. Only difference is that the live site has been installed longer and upgraded several times.

Please help as I was hoping to be done switching themes already!

--Dirk
http://AtlantaBarStarz.com

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 12 Apr 2010, 11:53

@AtlantaBarStarz,
I did post the solution on this thread itself: http://www.aquoid.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 6437#p6374. Delete the special characters on the Sidebars and Widget Areas settings page. Apparently this is some database character encoding issue at your end that is not accepting these special characters. From the linked post:
When you are saving the options in the sidebars page, just ensure that you have deleted the "↓" and the "↑" from the Open and Close text respectively.
Sayontan.

AtlantaBarStarz

Post by AtlantaBarStarz » 12 Apr 2010, 12:14

Thanks, that fixed it.