site very slow, too much errors

Reports about issues that you encounter in Suffusion. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is being officially closed with effect from 3rd February 2019. Future support requests can be posted on the GitHub page at https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion/issues.
megahz

site very slow, too much errors

Post by megahz » 18 Apr 2013, 01:17

Hello,

i have reported to my hosting provider that my site is operating very slow.

after they run an investigation they have reported back:

-----------------

The "megahz" account is causing the Apache process to run out of memory. You need to optimize these queries ASAP!

./syslog:Apr 16 10:00:21 pod-1508 kernel: Out of memory: Kill process 23390 (apache2) score 56 or sacrifice child
566 /nas/wp/www/cluster-1508/megahz/wp-content/themes/suffusion/custom/prev-next.php:24
359 /nas/wp/www/cluster-1508/megahz/wp-content/themes/suffusion/custom/prev-next.php:25
147 /nas/wp/www/cluster-1508/megahz/wp-content/themes/suffusion/functions/template.php:570

The number on the left is how many times the slow query occurred, the number on the right is the line number from where the query came from. Here is the query that's killing the server:

SELECT p.id FROM wp_posts AS p INNER JOIN wp_term_relationships AS tr ON p.ID = tr.object_id INNER JOIN wp_term_taxonomy tt ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id AND tt.taxonomy = 'category' AND tt.term_id IN (4,6591) WHERE p.post_date < '2013-03-31 09:43:51' AND p.post_type = 'post' AND p.post_status = 'publish' AND tt.taxonomy = 'category' ORDER BY p.post_date DESC LIMIT 1 /* From [www.cypriotblogs.com/cypriotblogs/%CE%B ... %B5%CE%AF/] in [/nas/wp/www/cluster-1508/megahz/wp-content/themes/suffusion/custom/prev-next.php:24] */;
----------------------------------------

it seems that something is wrong with the prev-next script? i have disabled that functionality from suffusion but we still observe those errors. do you have any idea?

Colin

Re: site very slow, too much errors

Post by Colin » 18 Apr 2013, 03:35

This is the first time I remember seeing this mentioned. Sounds like a hosting issue I have over 20 sites running Suffusion on different hosts and never had this issue. Might be worth looking for a new host.

megahz

Post by megahz » 18 Apr 2013, 06:19

hey, i am using wpengine which is consider one of the best on wordpress hosting.

drake

Post by drake » 18 Apr 2013, 12:23

As Colin said... this is the first report for such an issue... and are almost a million of downloads of theme, and probably few millions of sites which use the theme (one developer can use the previously downloaded theme for more sites)

But I can't blame the host. BUT... I can't ignore also the error which say that your requests run out of memory... Why? You started the site few months ago, and you already have 23234 posts... probably more than all my sites and Colin's together... This is the downside of auto-blogging... you just re-post what someone else was "invented", but you exhaust your server with this... The file which are referred in your error log have only few lines of codes, which only select your previous-next posts as you wish to belongs on all categories or on only the category of current post... But how can appreciate this without evaluating all posts? 23234...

Your architecture is wrong... you can ask your host to upgrade your account, for more money, and for a while your site will be fine... The number of posts will grow, the queries will become heavily and heavily, and in few months you will have again this problem... You will end on a dedicated server, or a cloud system with more physical servers to sustain your idea... Thousands of euros for what? To just republish others posts by autoblogging...

megahz

Post by megahz » 24 Apr 2013, 02:57

drake wrote:As Colin said... this is the first report for such an issue... and are almost a million of downloads of theme, and probably few millions of sites which use the theme (one developer can use the previously downloaded theme for more sites)

But I can't blame the host. BUT... I can't ignore also the error which say that your requests run out of memory... Why? You started the site few months ago, and you already have 23234 posts... probably more than all my sites and Colin's together... This is the downside of auto-blogging... you just re-post what someone else was "invented", but you exhaust your server with this... The file which are referred in your error log have only few lines of codes, which only select your previous-next posts as you wish to belongs on all categories or on only the category of current post... But how can appreciate this without evaluating all posts? 23234...

Your architecture is wrong... you can ask your host to upgrade your account, for more money, and for a while your site will be fine... The number of posts will grow, the queries will become heavily and heavily, and in few months you will have again this problem... You will end on a dedicated server, or a cloud system with more physical servers to sustain your idea... Thousands of euros for what? To just republish others posts by autoblogging...
thanks for your reply, yes that's were i am heading..
so no other solution.

thanks for replying. if you have any other idea just let me know.

drake

Post by drake » 24 Apr 2013, 16:40

You can try to reduce the load of server:
1. Disable masonry at Suffusion Options -> Sidebars -> Use JQuery Masonry?
2. Select "Auto-generate the CSS and print it in the HTML source (Least load on server, ugly page source code)" at Suffusion Options -> Back-end -> Site Optimization -> Auto-generate CSS file for customization options (let the rest of settings as it is - the regular version of jQuery can be used by plugins).
3. At Appearance-> Menus disable the menu from Navigation Bar Below Header - you use the same menu for both bars.
4. Install a plugin for optimizing the database - I found Optimize Database after Deleting Revisions which have the advantage that can be scheduled to run automatically.
5. If you have many images hosted on your server, install also EWWW Image Optimizer a great tool for optimizing images like Smush-it does, but which works on your server.
6. Disable all unused plugins, remove disabled plugins and themes.
7. Install a caching plugin. W3TC is fine if you don't activate minification.
8. Also, you can use Cloudflare as CDN, it is free and reliable.

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 29 Apr 2013, 20:29

Maybe another easy solution exists. Go to Other Graphical Elements -> Breadcrumbs and Page Navigation -> Previous / Next Posts -> Restrict Categories, and let it not be restricted to any category.

mbrsolution

Post by mbrsolution » 19 May 2013, 17:28

Hello @megahz, I hope you have resolved this issue. I just wanted to share that you are using wpengine then I am sure you are aware of the restiction they have on many plugins. So if you have not read about the restricted plugins here is the link for you to puruse http://support.wpengine.com/disallowed-plugins/

Kind regards