Creating a "rolled up menu"

Reports about issues that you encounter in Suffusion. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is being officially closed with effect from 3rd February 2019. Future support requests can be posted on the GitHub page at https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion/issues.
cfigallo

Creating a "rolled up menu"

Post by cfigallo » 08 Nov 2010, 15:26

Sorry, but I need more explanation of the following statement in the new release notes:

I have removed the “rolled-up” setting for WP 3.0 menus as it is redundant. If you want to create a rolled-up menu you can automatically create a base node in the menu and add the rest of your menu under it.

I had both pages, links and WP 3.0 menus working in my menu bar until I upgraded. Now I can't get the WP 3.0 dropdown menus to work - I get all the included pages displaying instead.

http://www.mycoachingcircle.com

sayontan
Site Admin

Re: Creating a "rolled up menu"

Post by sayontan » 08 Nov 2010, 15:42

In your menu setup you can create a new Custom Link, with URL set to #. Then add the pages under this custom link - you will have a rolled up menu.

cfigallo

Post by cfigallo » 08 Nov 2010, 16:28

Thanks. I'll try that and report back

cfigallo

Post by cfigallo » 08 Nov 2010, 17:05

Still confused. Is a roll-up menu the opposite of a drop-down menu?

I created a Custom Menu (WP 3.0 menus), then created a custom link (which calls itself "Menu Item"), as you described, under that menu,then added pages under that. The menu bar on my site is only displaying the individual elements (the custom link and the pages) under the custom menu, not the drop-down menu itself.

Previously, I had 3 custom menus and Suffusion allowed me to display all three in my menu bar. I've tried every combination of the options offered in that part of the Suffusion backend, but I still can't display multiple drop-down menus on my menu bar.

Basically, if I create a menu, no matter what I choose in Suffusion, the content pages of the menu are displayed separately in the menu bar.

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 08 Nov 2010, 17:37

Still confused. Is a roll-up menu the opposite of a drop-down menu?
No. Take a look at http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/suffusion and click on Preview. You will see "Pages" and "Categories". These are essentially "roll-ups", because you don't actually have a page called "Pages" or a category called "Categories"; all your pages and categories are rolled up under these headers.

In WP 3.0 menus I don't know what your structure is. Also, by "adding pages under", what I mean is that you can indent the pages by dragging them slightly to the right in the menu administration page. That will create nested pages for you and you will get the drop-down. See below:
menus-1.jpg
menus-1.jpg (39.93 KiB) Viewed 5491 times

cfigallo

Post by cfigallo » 08 Nov 2010, 20:34

Ah, OK. That clears it up the "roll-up" question. Thanks.

So if I build such menus in WP 3.0 and then tell Suffusion to select those menus in the Blog Features/Navigation page, I should have drop-down menus in my Main Navigation bar, right?

That's the feature that disappeared with the new version. I used to have 3 different drop-down menus working. Now I can't get one to work :roll: .

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 08 Nov 2010, 21:46

Now I can't get one to work :roll: .
:? :? You mean they don't work even with what I told you?

cfigallo

Post by cfigallo » 09 Nov 2010, 10:18

I guess I'm missing something in the procedure for creating a root node in the menu.

Example:

I have two pages about coaching - coaching1 and coaching2
I want to have a tab called "Coaching" on the menu bar that drops down to offer the two coaching pages.
I build a WP 3 menu for that purpose.
It currently displays on the menu bar as two separate pages without the WP 3 menu tab.

I know I can make a root node by entering "#" in place of the custom link url. But adding that my menu just puts "Menu Item" on my navigation bar.

I've also replaced the code in my functions.php as you recommended in another topic, updated to your corrections today.

What am I missing?

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 09 Nov 2010, 10:24

I have two pages about coaching - coaching1 and coaching2
I want to have a tab called "Coaching" on the menu bar that drops down to offer the two coaching pages.
I build a WP 3 menu for that purpose.
It currently displays on the menu bar as two separate pages without the WP 3 menu tab.
Create a custom link called "Coaching", set its URL to "#", then indent Coaching 1 and Coaching 2 under it. In the diagram I posted above, think of "Root level" as "Coaching", "Multic Test" as "Coaching 1" and "ALL CAPS title" as "Coaching 2". You are probably not indenting anything in your menu.

cfigallo

Post by cfigallo » 09 Nov 2010, 13:27

Bingo. That did it. A cappuccino for you, Sayontan!