Variable-Width Drop-Down Menu Idea...

Requests for new features. You cannot post to this forum because new feature requests are not accepted any more.
Forum rules
New feature requests are no longer accepted, so you cannot post to this forum any more.
perpetualjon

Variable-Width Drop-Down Menu Idea...

Post by perpetualjon » 30 Mar 2010, 20:36

First of all, this theme is the best WP theme in the whole-wide world!! I'd like to see this become a feature if at all possible but at this point, I'd like to consider it a suggestion for the future:

Would it be possible to create a "variable-width" version of the existing drop-down menu similar to this site:

http://www.logmein.com

From what I've tried, this site's drop-down menu is not using Javascript as I've tried disabling JS in my browser and the drop-down menu still works. I personally don't know how this would be pulled-off but I think it would be a great addition to this theme...

sayontan
Site Admin

Re: Variable-Width Drop-Down Menu Idea...

Post by sayontan » 30 Mar 2010, 20:42

Well, the menu does use JS, but there is a CSS backup. So if JS is disabled the menu will still work, with the exception being older versions of IE if I recall correctly.

I did try incorporating this feature earlier but there were some problems. I might attempt it again, when I have ample free time on my hands, which is not likely to be any time soon.

perpetualjon

Post by perpetualjon » 30 Mar 2010, 20:46

I did manage to find a couple of articles on the subject here:

Here's a page with a pure CSS drop-down menu with variable widths:
http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk/ ... menus.html

Here's a couple of Stu Nicholls samples of variable width menu systems:
http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/pro_variable4.html
http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/variable_dl.html

I might be able to decipher how to change the CSS myself but I think it may benefit the entire community if the theme itself is modified for this feature. This way, no one will need to worry about adjusting the drop-down menu widths if there is a variance in the menu item...

perpetualjon

Post by perpetualjon » 30 Mar 2010, 20:48

sayontan wrote:Well, the menu does use JS, but there is a CSS backup. So if JS is disabled the menu will still work, with the exception being older versions of IE if I recall correctly.
Oh wow! I had no idea!! Well if the CSS backup works, why not use it exclusively? Are there features in JS that make it necessary still?

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 30 Mar 2010, 21:13

I did base my menus originally off the CSSplay site, but they are somewhat buggy. I remember tearing out a lot of hair around release 2.6 or so due to that. Eventually I followed a much more rigorous menu implementation based on Ruthsarian Layouts, which really covered all use cases much better. I still have some elements of the original left in, but I got rid of a lot of its concepts.

I distinctly remember putting in an effort to support a fluid width drop-down but I did face difficulties (can't recall what). The fact is, the theme remains a hobby for me, and I don't feel inclined to go out of the way to add a new feature unless I feel I can do it quickly and/or satisfactorily. Menus are extremely tough to debug; in fact, of all pieces on the site, they are the toughest to get right. As I mentioned, I can look into this, but I have no plans to do so for the next few months at least.

Regarding the CSS vs JS question, the JS feature offers the capability to delay the drop-down and to fade it in, somewhat like a "hover intent" functionality. It was added based on requests from some users. Originally the menus were CSS-only and used to work across all browsers, but with the JS version in place I was compelled to break some functionality for the CSS-only menus in IE6.

perpetualjon

Post by perpetualjon » 30 Mar 2010, 21:50

Very interesting! I had a feeling the menu system was quite a problem. The truth is that I initially picked this theme JUST for the fact that these menus worked with JS disabled (and worked in my Blackberry browser). I have to say, I am most impressed to say the least that you are running BOTH systems! Well, if you get a moment, in the near future, it's definitely a feature I'd love to see myself.

As you're working this as a hobby, I totally understand. I'm quite happy with what I have so adding a variable width will surely be a luxury! Lastly, I'd like you to add this page to your library for future research on the drop-down menu system:

http://www.grc.com/menu2/invitro.htm

This guy inspired me to look for a purely CSS menu system in the first place --and I really see the value in this. Anyways, maybe some of the code development he's done can help out somewhat. It's a little beyond my abilities!!