Auto upgrade?

Requests for new features. You cannot post to this forum because new feature requests are not accepted any more.
Forum rules
New feature requests are no longer accepted, so you cannot post to this forum any more.
Itam

Auto upgrade?

Post by Itam » 12 Feb 2010, 11:26

What happend with the automatic upgrade?
I sure miss it ;)

sayontan
Site Admin

Re: Auto upgrade?

Post by sayontan » 12 Feb 2010, 11:47

Not sure what you are referring to. What happened to the auto-upgrade?

Itam

Post by Itam » 12 Feb 2010, 15:15

Ehm, well, referring to the possibility to make an automatic update of new versions of Suffusion within Wordpress. Instead of manually placing the files in your theme directory through a FTP-program.

That option isn't there anymore. (maybe only with my wordpress, i don;t know :s ) It safes a lot of time, especially since suffusion gets a lot of upgrades lately.
Don't want to nag, but i truly think that was a great option :)

Ciao,
Itam.

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 12 Feb 2010, 15:44

Auto-upgrade is not a theme option, rather it is a WP option. WP automatically detects that there is a new version of the theme, then tells you that a new version is available and gives you a link to auto-upgrade. So I have two questions for you:
1. Are you telling me that you no longer get a link to auto-upgrade the theme though you get a notification saying that a new version is available?
2. Are you able to auto-upgrade any of your installed themes?

Sunny

Post by Sunny » 13 Feb 2010, 19:45

auto-upgrade is still there for me as an option. :)

Kurth

Post by Kurth » 13 Feb 2010, 20:43

I have not been able to auto-upgrade the last three updates to Suffusion through WP. Is there a problem on there end or on the suffusion end?

I get a link "There is a new version of Suffusion available. View version 3.3.3 Details automatic upgrade unavailable for this theme."
Last edited by Kurth on 13 Feb 2010, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 13 Feb 2010, 20:45

Could you help me understand what the problem is? What is the message you are seeing at your end?

Kurth

Post by Kurth » 13 Feb 2010, 20:47

I updated above but here it is again.

I get a link and the sentence says."There is a new version of Suffusion available. View version 3.3.3 Details automatic upgrade unavailable for this theme."

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 13 Feb 2010, 22:21

Thanks for the info. The reason I explicitly asked for the message is because I too have not been able to do an auto-upgrade for a couple of weeks now and I see the exact same message you reported.

So I ran a very simple test:
1. On one of my blogs where I don't use Suffusion, I deleted the installation of the theme completely (it was present, but not active).
2. That installation of WP had very few other themes and none of them had any updates available.
3. So I uploaded an old version of another theme designed by another person (the theme I uploaded was version 0.7.0 of Hybrid) on to this blog.
4. After uploading Hybrid, I see the same message. Hybrid has a new version available (0.7.1), but auto-upgrade seems unavailable.
5. I checked on another blog of mine where there was no installation of Suffusion at all, i.e. there was no Suffusion folder there to start with. I see the same message.

What is interesting is that on localhost I actually am able to do an auto-upgrade for everything.

Then I ran a Google search for the message "automatic upgrade unavailable for this theme". One of the very first hits that came up was this: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/354240?replies=4. Looks like a lot of people started facing issues after upgrading to 2.9.1. Another link that was very interesting was this: http://code.google.com/p/kaytwo/issues/detail?id=911, with posts dated 14th January.

My first thought was that somehow the notification that Suffusion provides about a new version being available is messing things up. But then I have had this notification since version 3.1.9, released on 19th January, while people have been facing issues since 5 days before I did anything in the theme to affect this behavior!

All in all, this is a hairy mess. Luckily, it is calming to learn that Suffusion wasn't the architect of this failure.

Itam

Post by Itam » 15 Feb 2010, 07:10

Jup, same here