Can't get custom header image to appear on site

General questions pertaining to how certain issues can be resolved
Forum rules
1. No offensive language and no mocking
2. Please do a thorough search before you post something. Trust us, there is a high probability that the question you are asking has been asked previously.
3. No soliciting. You cannot post here soliciting bids for people offer you quotes, or even offer money to people for some work. You will be moderated if you do so. If you are looking for help, please post your request on http://jobs.wordpress.net or http://codepoet.com
4. Please be reasonable. You are getting software and support. For free. Complicated requests from a general purpose theme are not welcome and some volunteers might lose patience with you.
5. Please do your due diligence. If you posted a query and we answered with a link, take the trouble to go through the link contents.
6. Please post with complete information. Requests for help MUST be accompanied with your URL, particularly if you are asking something like "Why am I seeing a blank space?"

Re: Can't get custom header image to appear on site

Postby drake » 17 Feb 2013, 01:52

For having the image in foreground need:
1. Set "Use a predefined image or logo" at Header Foreground Image Type from Suffusion Options -> Skinning -> Header;
2. Upload your image or insert the url to it, below at Header Foreground Image;
3. Unset "Hidden" for Blog Title/Header Image at Suffusion Options -> Other Graphical Elements -> Header;
4. Check the box "Show header text with your image." from Appearance -> Header, otherwise Wordpress will consider that you don't wish an header at all and will clip even the picture uploaded in Suffusion.
drake

Postby Colin » 17 Feb 2013, 06:13

Drake,

I did all that for him and it still wouldn't show up. Very odd.
Colin

Postby drake » 17 Feb 2013, 07:44

Actually, on this particular site, the header is consciously set to be hidden in style.css of the child theme:
.blogtitle {
visibility: hidden;
font-size: 333%;
float: left;
line-height: 47px;
position: relative;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
text-align: left;
}
drake

Postby Colin » 17 Feb 2013, 08:05

Well spotted :D I missed that :oops: . I knew I had done everything right in the Suffusion config that is why I suggested that it might be one of the plug-ins messing with the header.
Colin

Postby weblackey » 17 Feb 2013, 11:47

After 'moving' the header URL from the header background to the foreground, I deactivated, one by one, all the plugins except Akismet.

There was no change from earlier behavior, no header image shows.

Very curious. I'll leave it for now, reactivated all plugins except the mobile theme switcher and will play with other methods of placing an image up top... but it is a curious bug.

Thanks Colin.
weblackey

Postby drake » 17 Feb 2013, 12:07

See my answer... nothing strange, just your previous edits from child theme styles.css. You need to revise that file if you don't wish to interfere with your actual needs.

For testing, go at Appearance -> Themes and switch to Suffusion Theme (the parent, not your child). Probably you will notice that all things works without any issue.
drake

Postby weblackey » 18 Feb 2013, 13:09

Drake and Colin,

First of all, I didn't see that there was a second page to this topic... oops, just read all these.

I thought .blogtitle referred to just the text, not all of the header! Hence the visibility:hidden in the child theme.

That makes sense now that I know differently.

I ended up finding another topic (by Drake) that advised someone who wasn't getting their header foreground link working to put their image in a header widget. I lost the link, sorry.

Anyway, that's what I did and I was able to position the image as I wished after that. There is only one kludge I used to get what looks like an overlap over the sidebar... to make that work properly will be another topic, as it doesn't apply to my original post.

Let me know if you can that nothing is 'broken' on the site... I didn't edit anything except the child theme CSS and Suffusion/WP settings this time, except for a child theme header to get an anchor at the top and a google font not on Suffusion's list.

Can I get you two a coffee also? :)
weblackey

Postby drake » 18 Feb 2013, 19:09

About header foreground, the usage of header widget area is a good solution.
Just to know why the header foreground option not work, I still can see in your source:
.custom-header .blogtitle a,
.custom-header .description {
position: absolute !important;
clip: rect(1px 1px 1px 1px); /* IE6, IE7 */
clip: rect(1px, 1px, 1px, 1px);
}
In this way wordpress hide the header if the point 4 from my list above is not respected - it crop the header to 1px square. So, seems like on Appearance -> Header isn't checked "Show header text with your image".
drake

Postby weblackey » 18 Feb 2013, 19:32

I know I had changed the actual header size when setting up the header widget... I made the header as small as I could so as not to push the widget down. So that setting is after the fact.

But I did have that visibility setting as hidden.

It looks good now, so I'll move on to my next issue, how to make a div float over everything without breaking the theme. Thanks for the explanations, they really help with learning.
weblackey

Previous

Return to Support Requests