Right sidebar ends up under main content window?

General questions pertaining to how certain issues can be resolved
Forum rules
1. No offensive language and no mocking
2. Please do a thorough search before you post something. Trust us, there is a high probability that the question you are asking has been asked previously.
3. No soliciting. You cannot post here soliciting bids for people offer you quotes, or even offer money to people for some work. You will be moderated if you do so. If you are looking for help, please post your request on http://jobs.wordpress.net or http://codepoet.com
4. Please be reasonable. You are getting software and support. For free. Complicated requests from a general purpose theme are not welcome and some volunteers might lose patience with you.
5. Please do your due diligence. If you posted a query and we answered with a link, take the trouble to go through the link contents.
6. Please post with complete information. Requests for help MUST be accompanied with your URL, particularly if you are asking something like "Why am I seeing a blank space?"

Right sidebar ends up under main content window?

Postby bfranker » 28 Feb 2013, 14:55

Hello! Thanks much for an excellent theme!

I'm not a coder and not sure exactly what is wrong but I'm using the WP-Unite plugin to put a phpBB forum in my WordPress site. I do not know if the problem is related to the WP-Unite plugin or something with Suffusion but was wondering if you might be able to take a look? I have tried increasing the page width substantially and even adjusted the right sidebar to be much smaller but no matter the sizes I try, the right sidebar is always under the forum.

Here is what it should look like...
http://www.cr3friends.com/

Here is where the right sidebar is under the forum...
http://www.cr3friends.com/forum/

Thanks!
bfranker

Re: Right sidebar ends up under main content window?

Postby Colin » 28 Feb 2013, 23:12

This is usually caused by broken mark-up with an unclosed tag.

Have a look at the page errors here. Resolving those may help.

Look at the page in 'Text' view and see if you have any unclosed tags.
Colin

Postby drake » 01 Mar 2013, 00:20

In this case is a problem of markup but not because is broken, but because your plugin and/or phpbb force a different markup than the theme. The markup for Suffusion need to be:
[HEADER]
<div id="main-col">
<div id="content">
<div class="post">
[PAGE CONTENT]
</div>
</div>
</div>
[FOOTER]

But in this case, the "main-col" div disappear and is replaced by "wpucssmagic" div. This markup cannot be rendered by Suffusion to respect the flow of elements.
In case of Buddypress, BBPres and e-commerce plugins, the markup is corrected by the appropriate Suffusion Pack.

In this case you need to re-build the templates of phpBB to respect the Suffusion markup, i.e. to wrap again all content of wpucssmagic div in "main-col" class.

I don't know if will works, but you can try first to add at Suffusion Options -> Back-end -> Custom Includes -> Custom Header Javascript:
Code: Select all
$j=jQuery.noConflict();
$j(document).ready(function() {
   $j('#wpucssmagic').wrap('<div id="main-col"></div>');
});
drake

Postby bfranker » 01 Mar 2013, 08:33

Thank you, colin and thank you drake!

Drake, you nailed it! Thank you so much!!!

I added that bit of code exactly where you said, went in to the phpBB ACP and purged the cache. I then also had to go into the WP-United settings and press the "submit" button under the "Theme Integration" tab (I'm guessing to "rebuild" the files).

After I did the above, the sidebar problem was fixed. THANK YOU!
bfranker

Postby sayontan » 01 Mar 2013, 08:51

Drake,
I see that you have started suggesting JS-based fixes now :-)
Sayontan Sinha | http://mynethome.net/blog | http://www.aquoid.com/news
I don't do freelance work (for Suffusion or otherwise), so please don't contact me for quotes or offers.
sayontan
Site Admin

Postby bfranker » 01 Mar 2013, 08:55

Thank you so much guys!

I'm not a coder and not even close to being able to fix something like this on my own but I'd like to do my part and try to help others.

By the sounds of it, it seems like this is a problem with the WP-United plugin? Is that correct? If so, I'll file a bug report with WP-United guys and see if they can tweak their plugin to not "ignore" this part of the theme. If that is true, I'll point to this thread so they have the info.

Thanks again!!!
bfranker

Postby sayontan » 01 Mar 2013, 10:16

bfranker wrote:By the sounds of it, it seems like this is a problem with the WP-United plugin? Is that correct?

Not really. They do try their best to make their plugin work with all kinds of themes, but sometimes you still have to find workarounds. That has what has happened here.

A suggestion for them might be to consider following the approach that Jigoshop uses and provide hooks at key points in the template files. That way themes can be coded to support the plugin.
Sayontan Sinha | http://mynethome.net/blog | http://www.aquoid.com/news
I don't do freelance work (for Suffusion or otherwise), so please don't contact me for quotes or offers.
sayontan
Site Admin

Postby drake » 01 Mar 2013, 12:44

:lol:

Yes, starting from our first discussion about javascript... when you moved the widget area above footer outside the wrapper... I really liked how you changed the entire markup with 3 lines of code...

I am really curious by nature... and I like to learn something from everything... I started to learn programming with BASIC for ZX Spectrum from the technical book of 20 pages provided with my first computer... is not too hard to find solutions when my friend Google is always beside me... :lol:
drake

Postby bfranker » 20 Mar 2013, 12:02

Hey Guys!

Been troubleshooting an issue for the past week and finally found the problem. It was the above suggested code. DOH!!!

While the above suggested code worked to fix the alignment issues, it completely broke the forum. I didn't realize this because I wasn't doing any testing or posting. However, I tried to post a test reply and got this weird color chart. I first asked for help at the phpBB forum and they thought it was in the header ( you can see the discussion here and a picture of this weird color chart... https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2176003 ). Then, using WP-United plugin, I disconnected the forum from the WordPress blog. Everything worked again so I thought it was something with the WP-United plugin and posted over there but hadn't heard anything back. In the meantime, I tried switching themes and when I switched off of Suffusion it worked! Hmm? So, I went back to Suffusion and it stopped working again. I then decided to try taking out the recommended code above to see what would happen and it worked fine the code removed (but the alignment problems were back). I put the code back in and it stopped working again and I get the same weird color chart like in the picture I attached at the phpBB forum.

I have put it back to the "broken" state to let you guys look at it if you wouldn't mind. Maybe just something in the code above needs "tweaked". I have created a test account for the forum so you can see for yourself...

user: test
password: testtest

I have verified that if I go to the forum "page" in WordPress and say no sidebars (with the jquery code above removed, that it DOES work. I may end up going that route (with no sidebars) but thought you might like to take a look at this to see if there is a simple fix as I may like to have the sidebars and this might help somebody else in the future.

Thank you!
bfranker

Postby drake » 20 Mar 2013, 19:20

Try first to change my previous code with:
Code: Select all
$j=jQuery.noConflict();
$j(document).ready(function() {
   $j('#wpucssmagic').wrap('<div id="main-col"><div id="content"></div></div>');
});

If not work, remove sidebars, so I can see the markup of a functional page when try to post a reply.

If not works either, need to re-build manually the phpBB templates to respect Suffusion markup.
drake

Next

Return to Support Requests