Buddypress Group Extras Plugin Support

General questions pertaining to how certain issues can be resolved. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.

1. No offensive language and no mocking
2. Please do a thorough search before you post something. Trust us, there is a high probability that the question you are asking has been asked previously.
3. No soliciting. You cannot post here soliciting bids for people offer you quotes, or even offer money to people for some work. You will be moderated if you do so. If you are looking for help, please post your request on http://jobs.wordpress.net or http://codepoet.com
4. Please be reasonable. You are getting software and support. For free. Complicated requests from a general purpose theme are not welcome and some volunteers might lose patience with you.
5. Please do your due diligence. If you posted a query and we answered with a link, take the trouble to go through the link contents.
6. Please post with complete information. Requests for help MUST be accompanied with your URL, particularly if you are asking something like "Why am I seeing a blank space?"
hughshields

Buddypress Group Extras Plugin Support

Post by hughshields » 15 Oct 2013, 12:41

I would like to know if Suffusion supports the plugin Buddypress Group Extras. In my install the custom fields function of BPGE works fine, however Suffusion seems to be blocking the display of the custom page sub-navigation and content. I do see the custom page tab but there is nothing in it. In the default Buddypress theme the sub-navigation and content displays correctly.
Below is the link. Custom fields tab is called "Group Info". Custom pages tab is called "Post It:
http://uberon.net/groups/book-club/gpages/

If this theme is not supported should I follow the instructions in the Suffusion Buddypress Pack landing page for "Other Plugins" and copy the BPGE index.php file over to my child theme and modify to be supported by suffusion?
Thanks
Hugh

drake

Re: Buddypress Group Extras Plugin Support

Post by drake » 15 Oct 2013, 18:19

Have you disabled Suffusion BP Pack as I told you in the past?
Follow also the instructions from this post: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28056#p71304

Disable also Buddypress Integration Pack (you disable Suffusion BP Pack but have installed their default integration pack... see???)

After that, all Buddypress functions on the site are managed only by Buddypress...

I don't think that a new template will help you, the markup of Suffusion is respected even on that tab, but the output of plugin don't exist. Maybe it's actions is triggered only by hooks from Buddypress default theme. Maybe you have a conflict with another plugin (by eg. you use WP User Frontend which also create and manage custom fields).

If still not works after all suggestion above, I'm afraid that you will have to ask on the plugin support.

hughshields

Post by hughshields » 15 Oct 2013, 18:39

I have not disabled Suffusion BP Pack. I understood from our past conversation that if my formatting was off then I still needed it. When I disable it my entire site goes to hell.

I did manage to fix the problem I stated by adding three lines to the groups/single/plugins.php file in the suffusion child theme folder.

Code: Select all

<div id="item-body">
                                 <?php do_action( 'bp_before_group_body' ); ?>

<?php do_action( 'bp_template_content' ); ?>

<?php do_action( 'bp_after_group_body' ); ?>
Fixing templates however is becoming too problematic so I will try to figure out your instructions for disabling the Suffuxion BP Pack. I would recommend someone writing up some clear instructions on how to disable this pack if it is no longer needed. I imagine there are many many people in my same position that are encountering problems with the pack templates no longer being supported.

drake

Post by drake » 15 Oct 2013, 19:03

The complete instructions for disabling integration packs are in the link I gave you: http://codex.buddypress.org/themes/them ... ed-themes/ (in short need to disable integration packs and remove the Buddypress folders from your child theme)

For completing the steps of installing/upgrading to Buddypress 1.7+ need also to add in functions.php of your child theme (for be upgrade proof):

add_action( 'wp_print_scripts', 'de_script', 100 );
function de_script() {
   wp_dequeue_script( 'suffusion-bp-ajax-js' );
   wp_deregister_script( 'suffusion-bp-ajax-js' );
}
This way all Buddypress functions will be executed only by BuddyPress, without any interference of Suffusion.

hughshields

Post by hughshields » 15 Oct 2013, 19:36

Hi Drake,
I disabled the Suffusion BP Pack along with deleting the 6 folders that were copied over to my child theme (activity, blogs, forums, groups, members, registration). This leaves only the functions.php and style.css files in my suffusion child theme folder.

I added the code you included to the Functions.php file in my child theme.

Unfortunately my site is not working at all. Only the Home page displays. Activity, Members, and Groups do not display.

Here is the link: www.uberon.net

In your previous post you said to "Disable also Buddypress Integration Pack (you disable Suffusion BP Pack but have installed their default integration pack... see???)"
I do not see the Buddypress Integration Pack on my list of plugins. Can you explain to me what you meant by this.
Thanks for your help!
Hugh

drake

Post by drake » 15 Oct 2013, 19:56

I don't know what's happening in your case, I tested Suffusion with latest Buddypress and works fine without Suffusion BP Pack. I have seen on my site what it is now on yours only after disabling Suffusion BP Pack without deleting the BP subfolders. Immediately after I removed those subfolders, BP starts to work. Can check if you not have also the subfolders in the parent theme? Otherwise I am out of ideas......

About Buddypress Integration Pack, below is a screenshot of your site before removing the BP Pack. As you can see, on your site was active bpp.css, a file loaded by BuddyPress Integration Pack.
bpp-css.JPG
bpp-css.JPG (49.64 KiB) Viewed 8554 times

hughshields

Post by hughshields » 15 Oct 2013, 19:58

By the way I am not upgrading. I started with Buddypress 1.8.1.

drake

Post by drake » 15 Oct 2013, 20:12

Me either... I installed BP 1.8.1 on a new site which I have to develop in short time - there will not be used BP, but I installed the plugin only for testing, after your question from the forum - BP starts to works immediately without BP pack.

For more tests I installed and activated Suffusion BP Pack - the site works either. But when I was noticed here on forum about duplicating posts on activity pages I disabled the BP Pack again - it was the moment when I saw the site in the same state like yours. I removed BP subfolders and the site works again, with the same problem with duplicate posts.

I checked the code of Suffusion, I saw the fact of duplicate loading of global.js, so I provide the code for unloading the script by Suffusion.

That was the story.

hughshields

Post by hughshields » 15 Oct 2013, 20:16

Hi Drake,
You are correct. The Suffusion BP Pack actually moves the folders (Groups, Members, Activity etc) to the child theme so when I deleted these out they were not in the Suffusion theme folder and the pages were not displaying. I made a backup of all and then reinstalled Suffusion so the pages are all back and working.
The formatting is off and my customizations are gone but I have a backup so I will have to rework all of those pieces tomorrow.
Also, I think the Integration Pack CSS you are seeing is because the Suffusion BP Pack was built off of an earlier template pack. I never installed the Buddypress Template Pack. I started with Buddypress 1.8.

So in the future I think that if someone is trying to get out of the Template Packs they should simply:
1. Backup all their Suffusion Child Theme files
2. Delete out the 6 folders that were copied over from Suffusion or replace them to their original spot in the Suffusion Theme
3. Deactivate the Suffusiong BP Pack plugin
4. Either reinstall Suffusion or if they replaced the original folders, test to make sure it is working.

Thanks for the help!!!
Hugh

drake

Post by drake » 16 Oct 2013, 00:03

Your steps are right with only one correction.

The folders of Buddypress is not required to be in the child theme folder AND in Suffusion folder. In fact here was an error from your part. Probably at the beginning you have installed and run Suffusion BP Pack BEFORE having a child theme, and the folders was copied from Buddypress default theme folder to Suffusion folder. Then, after installing the child theme you ran again Suffusion BP Pack - this time folders was copied from Buddypress theme to child theme folder. But you don't deleted at that time the folders created before, so they was all the time inactive in parent theme folder.

While you used Suffusion BP Pack and the files exists in child theme folder you wasn't bother by the copies from the parent theme because the behavior of WordPress is to execute templates from child themes, ignoring the files with the same name from parent themes. But now, after deleting the templates from child theme, WordPress looks at first if the templates exists in the parent theme - and execute them from there. But because the BP Pack was already disabled, these templates cannot produce any output...

So, the steps are:
1. Do a full backup of site - in case of such major updates always can appear issues - some buddypress plugins will not work anymore with the new version.
2. Remove the 6 folders copied from BuddyPress theme either in your child theme folder, either in "suffusion" folder (check in both places)
3. Deactivate Suffusion BP Pack plugin (and deactivate also Buddypress Integration Pack plugin if was installed)
4. Add in functions.php from your child theme folder:

add_action( 'wp_print_scripts', 'suf_bp_de_script', 100 );
function suf_bp_de_script() {
   wp_dequeue_script( 'suffusion-bp-ajax-js' );
   wp_deregister_script( 'suffusion-bp-ajax-js' );
}