customising a page

General questions pertaining to how certain issues can be resolved. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.

1. No offensive language and no mocking
2. Please do a thorough search before you post something. Trust us, there is a high probability that the question you are asking has been asked previously.
3. No soliciting. You cannot post here soliciting bids for people offer you quotes, or even offer money to people for some work. You will be moderated if you do so. If you are looking for help, please post your request on http://jobs.wordpress.net or http://codepoet.com
4. Please be reasonable. You are getting software and support. For free. Complicated requests from a general purpose theme are not welcome and some volunteers might lose patience with you.
5. Please do your due diligence. If you posted a query and we answered with a link, take the trouble to go through the link contents.
6. Please post with complete information. Requests for help MUST be accompanied with your URL, particularly if you are asking something like "Why am I seeing a blank space?"
christoph

customising a page

Post by christoph » 01 Nov 2010, 06:00

Hello
we are really getting into this theme now and are so genuinely impressed-it just keeps getting better and better. We are using it to create a very significant knowledge system and want to use PAGES to divide sections of the knolwedge system (mabe up of categories and Posts). So we would like each Page to look very different to the Post as follows:

-Posts are single sidebars with header
-Pages are NO SIDEBARS (thats easy from the template selector) AND NO HEADER or FOOTER. In fact we want a blank canvas to add in graphics (buttons and images via a table grid layout)

Is this possible? -We removed the 'Get header' and 'get footer' calls from the page template but it seemed to make a mess of things.

Any guidance would be really appreciated.

ps we are on version 3.6.3 because of a problem with saving the background colours using the new save utility in 3.6.5/6 - see our seperate post on that issue. Many Thanks.

Rgds
Chris

Colin

Re: customising a page

Post by Colin » 01 Nov 2010, 08:31

Chris

This is ideal territory for you to create a 'Child Theme'. You an make your own template without altering the base Suffusion ones and still have access to those too. Have a look at this thread http://www.aquoid.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3019 Sayontan put me right here and now I am starting to get to grips with Child Themes I realize how powerful they are.

You will need to read up the Wordpress Codex to understand what the various tags are BUT IMHO it is worth the effort.

christoph

Post by christoph » 02 Nov 2010, 14:41

Thanks Colin- i have been thinking about taking this leap into the unknown. I think i might have to if i want to style my sites more granularly.

Can i ask you to give me a pointer. Just the first few steps to create (say) a child theme that changes the font size in a particular page?

Sorry if im being a bit cheeky but i figured you would just be able to reel it off and that would be a great starter for me.

ps - Im ok with css but not php im afraid.

Rgds
Chris (hopeful)

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 02 Nov 2010, 15:00

Christoph,
Can i ask you to give me a pointer. Just the first few steps to create (say) a child theme that changes the font size in a particular page?
There are a couple of little things you should know:
  1. Suffusion makes use of two of WP's inbuilt methods - body_class() and post_class(). The call to body_class() is used on every page, while post_class() is used more selectively. Why is this relevant? If you open any page on your site and view the source code (or inspect your site using Firebug), you will see where the "body" HTML element begins, something like this:

Code: Select all

<body class="blog logged-in">
    Based on which page you are on, the "class" changes. This is because of the use of body_class().
  2. The second thing you should know of is CSS specificity. This is a very basic concept that defines how your CSS definitions take precedence. E.g. Consider the following definitions in your CSS:

body { font-size: 12px }
    body (font-size: 16px }
    Since you have 2 CSS definitions for body, the later one takes precedence, hence the font size will be 16px. However, what if you wanted to make sure that your first definition got precedence over the second, particularly in specific cases? Here you make use of specificity:

body.logged-in { font-size: 12px }
    body (font-size: 16px }
    This simply states that if you are looking at a page where the body element has class "logged-in", its font-size will be 12px, in spite of the fact that there is a later definition for body with size 16px. The font size of 16px will apply to all pages without the logged-in class
With this information you can play a bit with your site. Take the specific page for which you want the font changed, find out the class of the body element and change its base font size. Subsequent fonts are calculated as percentages, so your font throughout the whole page will be scaled up or down depending on your base font. If you don't want to change the font for the entire page, but simply for the text in your content you can say:

body.logged-in .post { font-size: 14px }

christoph

Post by christoph » 03 Nov 2010, 12:21

That was incredibly useful information. Thank you ! We are now trying to fathom out with firebug 'what is what' in the CSS. Like the bottom border under post titles. Easy when you know where it is located i guess

Also if we wanted to use different headers on different pages/posts. Is that something we could do using this approach or is that a seperate problem-solution altogether?

Rgds

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 03 Nov 2010, 12:51

See this post for different headers on different pages: http://www.aquoid.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 320#p13320.

paid_user_vc

Post by paid_user_vc » 04 Nov 2010, 13:16

christoph wrote:That was incredibly useful information. Thank you !
Couldn't agree more, that kind of sh*t is money! Thanks San-Man!

You do realize also, that the mess of docs on this theme, is actually causing you extra work and sending (some) users on a goose-chase, right? At a minimum, it's hard or impossible to determine which advice applies to which cases, which will cause conflicts, etc.

Have you thought about using some kind of proper bug tracking suite?

And another thing, if you could somehow set-aside work-day time for this, outside/as a slice of your regular job, I and many others no doubt, would be more than happy to subscribe to a monthly charge arrangement so that you don't have to spend so much time with no financial comp. I don't know how large your installed user-base is, but surely at $5/month/per user, you could actually code as a paid developer for Suffusion!

This user, believes it would be money well spent. Create a simplified version for free users, the full package for the monthly subscribers. Or a one-time charge, like for Thesis. San-man, you could be charging real money for this, and then would feel like your effort was genuinely appreciated, in concrete ways that don't just suck up your time, from your day job.

You don't think SEO users are getting real cash money back, by using Suffusion? Sure they are, some amount, that's the whole reason for the SEO settings. Maybe just SEO user should pay, just to brainstorm here...

(I also realize this was a support issue, not a bug report)