Clean subpage

General questions pertaining to how certain issues can be resolved. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.

1. No offensive language and no mocking
2. Please do a thorough search before you post something. Trust us, there is a high probability that the question you are asking has been asked previously.
3. No soliciting. You cannot post here soliciting bids for people offer you quotes, or even offer money to people for some work. You will be moderated if you do so. If you are looking for help, please post your request on http://jobs.wordpress.net or http://codepoet.com
4. Please be reasonable. You are getting software and support. For free. Complicated requests from a general purpose theme are not welcome and some volunteers might lose patience with you.
5. Please do your due diligence. If you posted a query and we answered with a link, take the trouble to go through the link contents.
6. Please post with complete information. Requests for help MUST be accompanied with your URL, particularly if you are asking something like "Why am I seeing a blank space?"
Colin

Re: Clean subpage

Post by Colin » 21 Oct 2016, 12:24

You are missing the point of a Child Theme. Everything in the parent theme works as normal. In your case all you are adding is one new page template that you are assigning to one particular page.

lensv

Post by lensv » 22 Oct 2016, 08:14

Colin wrote:You are missing the point of a Child Theme. Everything in the parent theme works as normal. In your case all you are adding is one new page template that you are assigning to one particular page.
Yes! Obviously I don't get it, so I guess that I'll have to repeat question nr. 1 from yesterday...
1) How do I attach a child theme to a specific page or blog post (is it even possible)?
*(attach = assign)

One further question... Is it possible to have more than one child theme?

Colin

Post by Colin » 23 Oct 2016, 08:13

No you can have only one child theme. You assign it to your site exactly as you would assign any other theme. It replaces Suffusion with Suffusion Child as your theme BUT both must be present as themes and it is only the Child that is active, it inherits everything that you don't change from its parent theme. You can have as may custom page templates as you like in it, also as many other customisations as you like.

lensv

Post by lensv » 23 Oct 2016, 09:29

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but if I assign the child theme exactly as I assign another theme it will be applied to the entire site, which is not what I want (you're absolutely right that I missed the point about child themes ;)). What I need is just one or a few single pages that differs from the rest of the web site's common layout, like if they were located on a different site (but under the same domain). Can a "Custom Layout Template" (within Suffusion) be used for this?
Last edited by lensv on 23 Oct 2016, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.

Colin

Post by Colin » 23 Oct 2016, 09:46

Sorry what is not clear about
It replaces Suffusion with Suffusion Child as your theme BUT both must be present as themes and it is only the Child that is active, it inherits everything that you don't change from its parent theme.
You new template ONLY applies to the pages you assign it to.

lensv

Post by lensv » 23 Oct 2016, 09:52

I heard you (no need to shout ;))

What I meant to ask is - Do I really need a child theme for this, can't I customise the template directly in Suffusion?

Colin

Post by Colin » 24 Oct 2016, 09:26

If you don't and if there is an update to Suffusion you will lose your template and your page will display incorrectly. A Child Theme is dead easy and as I said previously there is a starter Child Theme available from download from Sayontan's site that does all the hard work for you and all you then have to do is create the template.

lensv

Post by lensv » 24 Oct 2016, 11:09

Thank you!

The template that I was referring to in Suffusion was the "Custom Layout Template" (which should survive updates of the theme), but I see now that this one is limited to configuration of widgets only. Therefore we can forget about that one ;)

Where can I find a working download page for this child theme? I found http://aquoid.com/news/2012/02/suffu-sc ... suffusion/, but the download link there is broken.

Another "stupid" question about child themes... I understand that they are not affected by updates, but does it mean that they can't be updated at all? Security patches and some eventual new features may be essential...

Colin

Post by Colin » 24 Oct 2016, 13:41

The Child Theme never needs 'updating', it is the parent theme that needs updating and its updates are inherited by the Child Theme.

Looks like Wordpress have deleted it from the repository. I don't have a copy on my laptop and won't be home until next week when I can upload a copy to this thread for you. Unless someone else can do it before for you.

See http://mbrsolution.com/web-developing/c ... -steps.php and have a go at creating your own? of just search on Google for Suffu-scion

lensv

Post by lensv » 28 Oct 2016, 05:15

Colin! Is it something else than the product above that you are referring to?

*Edit: Your reply revealed itself just now (for some reason), so please forget this post.