Changing order of links in sidebar

General questions pertaining to how certain issues can be resolved. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.

1. No offensive language and no mocking
2. Please do a thorough search before you post something. Trust us, there is a high probability that the question you are asking has been asked previously.
3. No soliciting. You cannot post here soliciting bids for people offer you quotes, or even offer money to people for some work. You will be moderated if you do so. If you are looking for help, please post your request on http://jobs.wordpress.net or http://codepoet.com
4. Please be reasonable. You are getting software and support. For free. Complicated requests from a general purpose theme are not welcome and some volunteers might lose patience with you.
5. Please do your due diligence. If you posted a query and we answered with a link, take the trouble to go through the link contents.
6. Please post with complete information. Requests for help MUST be accompanied with your URL, particularly if you are asking something like "Why am I seeing a blank space?"
ARV4fun

Changing order of links in sidebar

Post by ARV4fun » 16 Jan 2010, 13:38

I've been trying to change the order of the links in the sidebars and not having any luck. You seem to be able to order them by

Name
LinkID
Address
Rating

which are all available at
Links -> Edit Links
- select "related sites" from the dropdown defaulted to View All Categories

I tried to assign them ratings in the order I wanted them in, but that appears only to refer to the cfg screen itself, not the blog, since Apply or Filter doesn't change that.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

sayontan
Site Admin

Re: Changing order of links in sidebar

Post by sayontan » 16 Jan 2010, 14:06

This has nothing to do with the theme. Look for a plugin to do it.

ARV4fun

Post by ARV4fun » 16 Jan 2010, 14:33

Do you have any suggestion on what plug-in would work best? I'm a newbie and really struggling to learn all this.
Thanks!

scottb

Post by scottb » 16 Jan 2010, 19:25

Go to:
Admin Panel > Plugins > Add New

Under search, with "Term" selected, enter "link order" as a search term, and click Search Plugins

Look for My Link Order, and install it.

Once installed, go to:
Admin Panel > Widgets

You will now have a My Link Order Widget.

Drag the wedget to where you want it in the sidebar, and remove the Wordpress Links widget if it is currently in the sidebar.

There are a number of options in the widget drop-down menu, don't do anything with those.

Go to:
Links > (and you will now have) > My Link Order

If you have more then one link category, you can just drag them around to the order you want them in.

You can then go into, "Order Links in this Category" and do the same for them.

Have fun :)

Connie

Post by Connie » 17 Jan 2010, 01:48

I second that, "My Link Order" is exactly the plugin you need and it is a very good plugin with comfortable functionability

ARV4fun

Post by ARV4fun » 17 Jan 2010, 18:10

Thank you so much for your advice. I got the plug-in and I can tell that it is doing what it should, except the "new" order flashes for a moment, then the page reverts to the "old" order.

I have removed the WP links from the widget section for the sidebar and placed the "My Link Order" there. What should I do?

scottb

Post by scottb » 17 Jan 2010, 22:23

A URL for us to see might help.

ARV4fun

Post by ARV4fun » 18 Jan 2010, 17:15

Here's the URL: www.arv4fun.com

The top link should be "free webinar" instead of "related sites". It actually comes up correctly for a moment, then flashes back to the original setting (as it was before I loaded My Link Order.)

Thanks for your help.

T.W.

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 18 Jan 2010, 17:25

Unless I am mistaken, this is a case of wrong terminology. You really mean, "changing order of widgets in sidebar", not links.

I am seeing "Free Webinars" at the top, then "Links" and last, "Related Sites". This is a very often discussed aspect on this forum - there is nothing wrong with the order. If you want you can drag the "Free Webinars" box on your blog (NOT on your admin page) and put it at the top - it will stay there. The theme makes use of docking boxes, which store the order of widgets in a cookie on your browser. So if you were to open your site in any other browser on your machine, you will see it in the order that you desire. If this behavior makes you uncomfortable (I don't see any reason why it should, because a visitor on your blog might find the webinars irrelevant and might want to minimize that widget and put it at the bottom) you can disable this by going to Visual Effects -> Sidebars and Widget Areas -> Drag-and-Drop for First Sidebar and select "disable" there.