serious configuration problem

General questions pertaining to how certain issues can be resolved. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.

1. No offensive language and no mocking
2. Please do a thorough search before you post something. Trust us, there is a high probability that the question you are asking has been asked previously.
3. No soliciting. You cannot post here soliciting bids for people offer you quotes, or even offer money to people for some work. You will be moderated if you do so. If you are looking for help, please post your request on http://jobs.wordpress.net or http://codepoet.com
4. Please be reasonable. You are getting software and support. For free. Complicated requests from a general purpose theme are not welcome and some volunteers might lose patience with you.
5. Please do your due diligence. If you posted a query and we answered with a link, take the trouble to go through the link contents.
6. Please post with complete information. Requests for help MUST be accompanied with your URL, particularly if you are asking something like "Why am I seeing a blank space?"
sayontan
Site Admin

Re: serious configuration problem

Post by sayontan » 27 Jan 2010, 14:33

Firstly I have a suggestion: stop fudging the HTML. As I mentioned in my previous post, the central column should be called "main-col" and in your case it is called "content".

Secondly, yes, this is a fixed width theme and yes, the style.css file doesn't have the widths. That is because the widths are computed on the fly based on the settings you make in Visual Effects -> Sizes and Margins, so you will actually see the widths on your page's source code. Also, since you have renamed the central column "content", that will not have any width associated with it.

zendarin

Post by zendarin » 27 Jan 2010, 15:03

Sorry for any misunderstanding but I didn't change anything except for changing "main col" to single-col as an experiment to see if it fixed my issue and I forgot to change it back. I changed it back after your last post and it fixed everything except for the "events" category where this calendar still appears at 1000 px.

I have not messed with any other code at all as I don't really know anything beyond html.

I have not renamed anything as "content" - in fact I had never even looked at any of the code until this issue came up.

Thank you very much for clearing up the issue with the no-sidebars template. I tried making a copy because I didn't want to insert a line of code into the no-sidebars file in case it messed up future updates to the theme. I have since abandoned the plugin that required inserting the line of code but if I need to add a call function to the no sidebars file is it ok to do so?

Thank you,

Jack

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 27 Jan 2010, 15:10

Jack,
Sure, you can add calls to the PHP files. You just have to make sure that you have a backup each time you upgrade, though.

Regarding your "Events" page, I have to ask you how exactly it is being generated. Which plugin are you using? If you haven't modified the PHP then the plugin is doing the modification by itself. In that case it is imperative to know what exactly is being changed by the plugin.

zendarin

Post by zendarin » 27 Jan 2010, 16:12

I am using "the-events-calendar" http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/the ... -calendar/

Is there any more info that I can provide which would help?

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 27 Jan 2010, 18:19

I took a look at the code in the plugin and it makes some serious assumptions. It basically assumes that your central component has an id "content" and that messes up the whole layout (what if there is no style associated with "content" in CSS?). One way to resolve it would be to modify the plugin code. You could open the file wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/views/gridview.php and look for this line:

Code: Select all

<div id="content" class="grid">
Add this before the above line:

<div id="main-col">
And add this after the last "div" in the file:

</div>
Another option that will not require any code change is to use JQuery. I will describe this to you in a bit - I need to leave for dinner.

zendarin

Post by zendarin » 27 Jan 2010, 18:59

Thank you Sayontan you are awesome and very smart.

I inserted the code and it corrected the width of the calendar header. The other problems with the calendar still exist but I believe this will fall to the plugin author to come up with a fix. I posted your results on the WP forum and hopefully it will give them a starting point for addressing the rest of the issues as well.

I am looking forward to learning about JSQuery however so will keep checking back.

Jack

musicab

Post by musicab » 25 Feb 2010, 18:36

Hi there,
I´m just started a blog on wordpress and suffusion is incredible!
I had the same problem with this same plugin "The Events Calendar"
I couldn´t solve with this previous steps...
I think that they changed the code. Instead of < div id="content" class="grid" >
is < div id="tec-content" class="grid" > now... I really don´t know exactly.
And I have another problem - I´ve used Custom CSS with transparent background but Calendar shouldn´t have transparent background.
If you have time, please take a look at http://thiagoabdalla.com/?cat=24&eventDisplay=month
thanks to help!

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 25 Feb 2010, 18:45

I think that they changed the code. Instead of < div id="content" class="grid" >
That didn't help much. The plugin STILL assumes that there is no other styling element in the theme for the central column. Follow the steps as I outlined above. Just add the "main-col" div above the "tec-content" line (and close the div correctly at the end). That should take care of things, hopefully.

musicab

Post by musicab » 25 Feb 2010, 18:57

sayontan wrote:
That didn't help much. The plugin STILL assumes that there is no other styling element in the theme for the central column. Follow the steps as I outlined above. Just add the "main-col" div above the "tec-content" line (and close the div correctly at the end). That should take care of things, hopefully.
Oppsss... I tried in another way and it worked!!! Now, I´m just looking for an background similar to the other posts and pages... it still with transparent background.

(You´re really fast on solving this!)

Thanks!

Connie

Post by Connie » 26 Feb 2010, 00:25

Zendarin,

it becomes not clear why you changed the template-files and what is more important whether the original template files work correct in your configuration or not.

If they work correctly, I would suggest to use them.
Because the support is aimed to support that configuration.

If you do work with manipulated, modified files you cannot get that much support which you need from volunteers here ...
because that gets quite exhausting :?

so please do tell us whether your problems arise because of the modified files or with the original files,