How to use translation in Suffusion Theme

Translations of Suffusion into other languages. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
thowi

How to use translation in Suffusion Theme

Post by thowi » 13 May 2013, 05:56

Hello,

first of all, thank you very very much for this great Wordpress theme!!!

I was trying to get the frontend localized to German for 6 hours now. And finally found out what I did wrong. Because I nowhere found this solution or hint I will write it here. You can add this fact to http://aquoid.com/news/themes/suffusion ... suffusion/ if you think that it is important enough.

This page says to do these step in the "How To Use"-area:
[...]
Approach 2 – Main Theme
You could alternatively copy your PO and MO file to the translation folder of “suffusion” itself, instead of using a child theme. [...]

1. I downloaded the mo-file from the Translations Pool http://pool.aquoid.com/translations/
2. I put the file "suffusion-de.mo" to the translation directory .. nothing happend in the frontend
3. Then I changed the filename to "suffusion-de_DE.mo" .. still English frontend
4. I changed it to "suffusion.mo" and overwrote the standard file .. didn't work
5. Then I tried to copy the file to /wp-content/languages/themes/ with the names "suffusion-de.mo" and "suffusion-de_DE.mo" .. nothing
6. I tried another language file and changed the wp-config (fr_FR) .. same .. the translation was ignored
7. Then I downloaded PoEdit to make an own mo-file from the po-file and put this file with all these names to all the directories .. still nothing
8. I looked the source code of the themes comments.php .. searched google for the wordpress function __() .. opened the wordpress file l10n.php to find some more functions .. then the file class.wp-theme.php and finally framework.php from the suffusion theme.
9. After checking the lines 32 and 33 I found out that the file name has to be "de_DE.mo"
10. I renamed my translation mo-file inside the directory translation under suffusion and .. voila .. it worked!!

So if you think that this is an important information to rename the mo-file to the WPLANG value (for example de_DE.mo) then please add this to http://aquoid.com/news/themes/suffusion ... #use-basic

The line "If you do have such a line, make sure that the language is correct as per the PO/MO files you created." in the wp-config-php area of the site is not saying that I have to rename the mo-file. It's not saing that I have to remove "suffusion-" from the beginning of the filename of the downloaded file. And I'm not sure if it is good to set WPLANG to "suffusion-de" since other plugins and wordpress itself might need "de_DE" as value.

Thank you very much again for this great theme!
Yours thowi :)

PS. In the area "How to Create Your Own Translation – Online" #5b is something about the filename: "Clicking on that will get you the PO and MO files. Save the files in accordance with the language codes provided in the Codex [link]." But since I didn't want to create my own translation I didn't read this "Create Translation" area before. Instead I directly went to the "How To Use" area.

logologics

Re: How to use translation in Suffusion Theme

Post by logologics » 03 Aug 2013, 15:00

Hello Thowi,

Just like you I find myself trying to get the Dutch translation working...
I thought I had it, while reading your tip.

I downloaded the .po and .mo and their names where suffusion.po and suffusion.mo.
The language dit not change.

I renamed them to nl_NL.mo and nl_NL.po

and put them in the:
WP content
themes
suffusion
translation

In the wp-config.php is the correct language present so Wp is told to use this translation.

It still does not translate to Dutch.
Any ideas how to get this working, as far as I know I am doing all that should be done??

Thx,
Annie
Attachments
translation.JPG
translation.JPG (65.23 KiB) Viewed 26202 times

drake

Post by drake » 03 Aug 2013, 18:03

You need to download the translation files from http://pool.aquoid.com/translations/
(on the bottom you have option to save as... select mo... name the file as nl_NL.mo, save as again... select po... name the file as nl_NL.po)
These 2 files need to be uploaded to translation folder (if you just rename the files shipped with the theme you practically add English texts on your site).

Better is to make a child theme, create translation subfolder in the child theme folder and upload the files there. In this way your translation will survive when you upgrade the theme.

And for sure the Dutch translation works fine, I have a lot of sites in Nederlands and I never had problems with this.

logologics

Post by logologics » 04 Aug 2013, 02:29

Hello Drake,

Thx for your reply.
As you can see and read in my previous post I did all that and it still does not work.

I did not create a child theme yet, but as soon as I get the Dutch translation up and running, I will do that as well.
If you take a look at my screenshot, you can see where I put the .po and .mo files and you can see I renamed them as wel, even before uploading them to the server.
I downloaded the translation files from http://pool.aquoid.com/translations/ then renamed them, then saved them, then uploaded them.

Can you detect anything I still am doing wrong that can cause this?

Thx,
Annie

drake

Post by drake » 04 Aug 2013, 23:35

I can't see anything wrong. But what is not translated? Keep in mind that the back-end of theme remain in English, only the front-end messages will be in Dutch. And even for front-end you have settings in Suffusion Options for using your own words, so the original texts remain until you change them (by eg. for comment form).

logologics

Post by logologics » 05 Aug 2013, 03:30

Hi Drake,

Thx again for your quick respons!

This explains a lot, I thought even the backend would be translated!!
I am exploring Suffusion to use for clients, and in my experience they often have trouble with English so thats why I was looking for a translated backend as well.

I once had a client ( I made a webshop for him ) and the backend was English. He asked me why it said "shipping" for he said "I dont use a ship to send my packages to my clients.... :mrgreen:
I notice that ( even though I have the latest Dutch version of WP installed ) the translation is mixed even outside Suffusion. I see Berichten,Bewerker and the rest is English again.

Anyhow, Thx!
Annie