responsive layout

General questions on how to do things using Photonic.

This forum is not actively monitored. For support topics please post them to https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/photonic/.
lensv

Re: responsive layout

Post by lensv » 30 Mar 2016, 05:03

Colin wrote:What do you want the 600px to do? I really don't understand your issue.
Maybe I misunderstand these settings, but the way I see it the min value here should set the minimum possible width of a fluid web page just like the max value sets the maximum width. If not, what is the minimum setting for?

Colin

Post by Colin » 30 Mar 2016, 06:20

That minimum is for fluid non-responsive sites. Once you enable responsive that takes priority over that minimum is my understanding of how the theme works. So if you don't want a truly responsive site and want one that won't adjust below 600px then turn off responsive.

lensv

Post by lensv » 30 Mar 2016, 07:31

Colin wrote:That minimum is for fluid non-responsive sites. Once you enable responsive that takes priority over that minimum is my understanding of how the theme works. So if you don't want a truly responsive site and want one that won't adjust below 600px then turn off responsive.
Okay thanks! That may be the idea, but even if I disable the responsive settings the site still adjusts below 600 (or whatever value it is set to). :(

If the author reads this, please consider providing some clarifications about these settings in the theme. Most appreciated would be if the minimum width actually did set the pages to not adjust below the chosen value, with or without the responsive layouts activated.

drake

Post by drake » 31 Mar 2016, 17:46

The minimum width from settings is having effect unless you don't overwrite it with a Custom Style like:

Code: Select all

#header-container, #header-container .col-control, #nav-top, #nav-top .col-control, #nav, #nav .col-control, #wrapper, #page-footer, #page-footer .col-control {min-width:0;}
So, if you want a min-width of 600px or more, remove that line from Custom Styles - but then on devices with less than 600px the site will not be responsive.
If you want to fix the site at a value under 600px change the above line as:

Code: Select all

#header-container, #header-container .col-control, #nav-top, #nav-top .col-control, #nav, #nav .col-control, #wrapper, #page-footer, #page-footer .col-control {min-width:360px;}

lensv

Post by lensv » 01 Apr 2016, 03:03

Thank you drake!

Unfortunately removing that enry in the CSS makes no difference. The strange thing is that the minimum width don't seem to apply even with the responsive layouts (and the specific CSS setting) disabled. :(
Last edited by lensv on 01 Apr 2016, 05:19, edited 1 time in total.

lensv

Post by lensv » 01 Apr 2016, 03:25

Update!

With responsive layouts disabled and with no custom CSS at all the page seem to respond correctly... But that's not the way we want it ;)

lensv

Post by lensv » 01 Apr 2016, 07:12

Conclusion:

1) Responsive layouts setting deactivated and no custom CSS = The minimum width setting works as expected.
2) Responsive layouts setting deactivated and some custom CSS = The minimum width setting does not work as expected.
3) Responsive layouts setting activated. No matter if there is custom CSS or not = The minimum width setting does not work as expected.

There are apparently some issues with custom CSS (possibly with the some of the specific lines that I use), but more obvious is that the minimum width setting doesn't work at all in combination with responsive layouts. Would it be possible to fix this in a future release of the Suffusion theme?

lensv

Post by lensv » 04 Apr 2016, 05:06

I figure that you don't want bug reports (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32354)... No chance to reply in that section :(

Is @sayontan no longer a part of Suffusion?

Colin

Post by Colin » 04 Apr 2016, 07:26

Sayontan is still involved he is the author of the theme.

I locked that thread as it is not a bug as I explained above.

If you don't want the site to adjust below 600px DO NOT set Responsive as enabled.

You can't have 600px as a minimum width and Responsive enabled I don't know how to say it any clearer than that.

What you can do is with some Custom CSS is to restrict the screen width of screen over x (say 1200px) size to not resize below 600px which can over-ride the responsive settings.

lensv

Post by lensv » 04 Apr 2016, 08:01

How many people are involved/responsible for this theme? ;)

I don't know if drake is one in "the crew", but according to him got the picture that it should be possible to use the dynamic width in combination with responsive layouts.

Also, since the maximum width applies I assume that the fluid settings actually does work together with responsive layouts.