Limit the maximum number of Headlines to display

Requests for new features. You cannot post to this forum because new feature requests are not accepted any more.
Forum rules
New feature requests are no longer accepted, so you cannot post to this forum any more.

Limit the maximum number of Headlines to display

Postby luigi » 08 May 2010, 23:25

Dear Sayontan,
If we set the posts to headlines manually, we can control the number of headlines to display.
However, when we select a category for headlines, we can no longer control the number of headlines.
I think it would be useful if we could set the maximum number of headlines to display, in the same way we alrealdy do with the excerpts and category blocks.
This option could be set in Magazine Template:
Magazine Template - Maximum number of headlines to display.
Thank you.

P.S. My blog is still under development, so I don't have a URL yet.
luigi

Re: Limit the maximum number of Headlines to display

Postby sayontan » 09 May 2010, 09:18

I think an easier solution is to define a new category called "Headlines", then add your posts to that category. That way you will be able to control how many headlines you need and leave your other categories intact.
Sayontan Sinha | http://mynethome.net/blog | http://www.aquoid.com/news
I don't do freelance work (for Suffusion or otherwise), so please don't contact me for quotes or offers.
sayontan
Site Admin

Postby Radu » 13 Aug 2010, 21:42

Hi Sayontan,

Sorry for re-opening this issue but I’m trying to understand something.
The easiest way to control the number of Headlines is to create a category ‘Headlines’ as you mentioned. Now, by removing (an old one) and adding (a new one) you have full control of the Headline size so we avoid the overlapping.
Meanwhile if a plug-in like Sitemap generator is used, will create a hyperlink containing the category (Headlines) and the Title of the post and eventually indexed by the search engines.
If I will remove the post at a later date to make space for a new one, am I risking to end up with a lot of broken links or “not found” at a later date under the Headlines Category?

Regards,

Radu :?:
Radu

Postby sayontan » 13 Aug 2010, 22:47

If I will remove the post at a later date to make space for a new one, am I risking to end up with a lot of broken links or “not found” at a later date under the Headlines Category?

True, but I don't think it is much of an issue, because if you are adding a new post the category is going to get refreshed, so you will get some new posts in addition to some removed ones.
Sayontan Sinha | http://mynethome.net/blog | http://www.aquoid.com/news
I don't do freelance work (for Suffusion or otherwise), so please don't contact me for quotes or offers.
sayontan
Site Admin

Postby Radu » 14 Aug 2010, 07:49

I’m not saying that is a big issue. That’s why I posted under the Feature Requests and I think that will be nice to have a way to control the number – same as we have for Featured Content.
If I set up my ‘Headlines’ category to display only 5 posts it will always display 5 entries with no older ones, because they have been removed.
It is very true that most of the Headline posts belong to at least another Category (the main one) so it is not totally removed, but when it comes to the sitemap creation and indexing it might be an issue for somebody with 3-4 different Headlines on a daily basis.
Probably the best way to go will be to exclude the Headlines Category in the Sitemap generator or a plug-in for Category exclusion.

I do not know how difficult will be for you to implemented, but I think that will be nice to consider.

Thanks again for your fast response.

Radu
Radu

Return to Feature Requests