I have received several questions regarding various facets of Suffusion, so I decided to put together a set of help pages for the same.
You can download Suffusion from the WordPress official page for the theme.
Once you have downloaded, installed and activated the theme for your blog, go to your blog’s Administration page. You will see the following:
When you click on “Suffusion Theme Options” you see the complete list of available configuration options for the theme:
The options are divided into two main categories, which are further divided into sub-categories:
- Visual Effects
- Theme Selection – Lets you pick out the color base you want to use. Each color base comes with a predefined list of icons and images, backgrounds and font colors. Apart from the icon packs you can change the rest of the settings in subsequent sections.
- Header Customization – Lets you define the header layout, custom header images, gradient images etc.
- Body Background Settings – Helps you set the background colors, background images etc.
- Body Font Settings – Enables you to set font colors, link colors, link effects etc.
- Navigation Bar Setup – Helps define the pages to show in the drop-down menu at the top. Also allows you to have a custom home icon and to disable the search field from showing up.
- Sidebar Setup – Provides control of the number of sidebars you have (1 or 2), the position of each sidebar (left or right), the widgets for each sidebar, the styling for the widgets and the ability to move / expand / collapse the widgets.
- Sizes and Margins – Currently only one setting is provided here – the ability to set the margin between the top of the page and the top of the window.
- Custom Emphasis Elements – A set of styles for visual impact, like the “Download” section you see earlier in this page.
- Blog Features
- Excerpts / Full Contents – Gives control over whether you want to display the full contents or excerpts of posts. You can have different settings for the front page, the archive page, the category page and the search page.
- Comment Settings –
- Analytics – You can add your Google Analytics scripts here
- OpenID Setup – If your blog is set up as an OpenID provider and you want to use your blog’s address as your OpenID, you can add the server and the delegate links here
For each section you can:
- Save the options
- Reset the options for the section
- Reset all options for all sections.
The options for each section are discussed the section’s respective page. As you go through the subsequent sections you will see some things that surprise you. To explain that let me mention something humorous to you:
There were two men trying to decide what to do for a living. They went to see a counselor, and he decided that they had good problem solving skills.
He tried a test to narrow the area of specialty. He put each man in a room with a stove, a table, and a pot of water on the table. He said "Boil the water". Both men moved the pot from the table to the stove and turned on the burner to boil the water. Next, he put them into a room with a stove, a table, and a pot of water on the floor. Again, he said "Boil the water". The first man put the pot on the stove and turned on the burner. The counselor told him to be an Engineer,
because he could solve each problem individually. The second man moved the pot from the floor to the table, and then moved the pot from the table to the stove and turned on the burner. The counselor told him to be a mathematician because he reduced the problem to a previously solved problem.
A lot of options were added as enhancements to existing functionality, so rather than redesign I had to work my way around the existing options and prevent breaking an option that a user had already set. Hence the weirdness in some of the options.