Once again I break my habit of posting a release announcement before my theme submission is approved. However, given that I am on a flight and I just submitted version 3.4.9 and I have nothing else to do for the next 2 hours, I thought this time was best utilized in writing up the announcement.
Over the past few weeks you might have seen a dip in Suffusion-related activity from my side. The reasons have been manifold – high work pressure, a full house with a lot of chores, back-breaking travel and what not. I have also started taking it slow on the development side, focusing on bug fixes and performance improvements primarily, laying the foundation for bigger things to come.
Anyway, this release has been cooking for 2 weeks (WP approved version 3.4.8 rather late):
- Bug Fixes
- I have fixed the problem with the CDN JQuery script. Now the script will be loaded only if you are not in the admin dashboard, thereby letting you continue your admin activities as usual.
- I have also fixed a bug in the font selection option that was adding a “” to the font name if it had spaces.
- The CSS file rtl.css used to be loaded twice for sites using an RTL language. I have fixed this.
- Code Housekeeping
- I have changed all fonts to relative sizes. In other words I have moved away from using “px” (pixels) as my unit for font sizes to using “%” (percentages) and “em” (Em-dash). This will help with future enhancements, where I can provide universal font-resizers.
- I have removed the “PHP Safe Mode” check from the “Follow Me” widget loading. I had earlier put that in thinking that it would help resolve a permissions issue that people were facing with that widget. Since the permissions issue has been resolved a while back, I decided to take the check off.
- I have separated the options page code from functions.php. This doesn’t impact you as end-users, but it helps me manage things better.
- I have replaced the classes assigned to a post from something I had coded manually to something that WordPress provides. This will offer you a lot more flexibility in terms of how you style your posts.
People who have defined a custom class called “sticky-post” will have to rename it to “sticky”, in accordance with the WP function.
- New Functionality
- You can now hide the date icon on posts. This seemed to be a very frequently asked question and I was tired of repeatedly telling people how to do it. Now you can go to Suffusion Theme Options → Visual Effects → Theme Skinning → Data Box Settings and configure this. As a bonus I also provided options to skin this, like using your own image, setting your own fonts etc.
- Updated Translations
- The Arabic translation has now been updated and is 100% translated.
That’s it for this release. I will be focusing on further streamlining and supporting WP 3.0 in the next few releases.