custom query post alignment under different browsers

Reports about issues that you encounter in Suffusion. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is being officially closed with effect from 3rd February 2019. Future support requests can be posted on the GitHub page at https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion/issues.
fchang

custom query post alignment under different browsers

Post by fchang » 21 May 2012, 23:08

Hi,

Installed the latest 4.2.0 and still having problems with how the Custom query post individual widgets line up. Best viewed under IE9, under Chrome, some words are still outside the widget box. Also extra space between 1 and 2 rows of widgets under Firefox12 and Chrome.

Also, for the archive box, the icon is overlapping the 'months' for some reason.

site: stg (dot) northleaschool (dot) ca

On a side note: The spam attack on this forum over the weekend has also translated to spam attack on our staging server website. I am wondering if I can edit my old post to remove/mask my web address?

Thanks!

sayontan
Site Admin

Re: custom query post alignment under different browsers

Post by sayontan » 22 May 2012, 00:34

I don't know if something else is wrong with your site. Basically if you resize the window, everything fits in place in terms of overflowing words etc. Now, this is something I have fixed in 4.2.0 - if I try a similar configuration on my test site, it works perfectly in all browsers.

Regarding spam, there is no correlation between what happens on this forum (phpBB software) vs. what happens on your site (WP). Most of the attacks on this site were from a specific bunch of people in Bangladesh and India, and they were human-generated, not spambot-generated. I know this for a fact: the email addresses were not random, these attacks happen predominantly during the weekends where there are some matches scheduled, banning / deleting a user is more effective than usual in these cases, some emails also address some current affairs in those regions, and in one case the spammer had an auto-responder on his email address that bounced this forum's account creation email (his return email had a phone number that I promptly registered on bogus calling sites so that he receives telemarketing calls everyday). Moreover, you only have 19 posts on this site while I have more than 8500. My regular site had 0 increase in spam, something that you cannot justify if you believe they leech WP URLs from posts (all my 8500+ posts have my signature, which has my URLs). You can edit your own posts and change addresses if you want, but a spam attack on this site is not related to a spam attack on your site.

fchang

Post by fchang » 22 May 2012, 22:15

Hi,

Regarding the alignment, I didn't do anything special. Simply upgraded from the previous release to 4.2.0 and enabled the Custom Query Post Widget with the 'each post as a widget' checked. I will check to see if it is conflicting with another plug-in and such.

Regarding spam, please don't feel offended. Thanks for the work on the theme. I will try to see if I can figure out the alignment issue.

-Frank

fchang

Post by fchang » 23 May 2012, 11:24

Hi,

I've disabled all the plug-ins, still the same problem. Now, I just realized that under the Suffusion options welcome page, the top-left says version 4.1.5.b4??? Is that right?
The Theme page says 4.2.0. I've delete the Theme and re-install the theme, same thing.

Thanks!

drake

Post by drake » 23 May 2012, 11:59

Regarding the version of Suffusion see this announcement of Sayontan, near to bottom: http://aquoid.com/news/2012/05/suffusion-version-4-2-0/

Regarding to your alignment problem you can try:
1. switch between options for height of widgets at Suffusion Options -> Templates -> Custom Layout Template - especially between "All widgets in the same row in this widget area have the same height" and "All widgets in this widget area have the same height"
2. If the first adjustment don't work you can try to set explicit a min-height for widgets at Suffusion Options -> Backend -> Custom Includes -> Custom Styles:

Code: Select all

.cl-widget {min-height:182px;}

SteveMcN

Post by SteveMcN » 23 May 2012, 16:06

I'd like to chime in to say I'm having the same problem since updating to Suffusion 4.2.0 with the welcome page on this site: http://www.theoldmarket.com/

The custom layout is as it should be if viewed in Firefox on a mac, but in Safari (and Omniweb and Chrome), the widget layout is erratic, it changes on a page reload, but rights itself if you adjust the window. We didn't have this issue with the previous version of Suffusion. Also, previously I had "no height adjustment" selected in custom layout, but now only the Jquery masonry option will actually allow 3 columns of widgets, any other selection makes the widget (a category query) span the page.

I tried disabling plugins, re-uploading Wordpress, and Drake, I tried the custom includes suggestion re widget height limits: nothing is working... so any other other suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Steve

drake

Post by drake » 24 May 2012, 00:12

Steve, you can try to add this at Custom Styles:

Code: Select all

.cl-warea {min-height:580px !important;}
In your case is even harder to align widgets by custom CSS because after all defined styles came masonry and overwrite all definitions with it's own calculated heights.

SteveMcN

Post by SteveMcN » 24 May 2012, 01:04

Drake: thank you, that may have worked (just tried it on my offline copy of the site). I added these custom includes:

.cl-widget {min-height:580px;}
.cl-warea {min-height:600px !important;}

I had to deactivate masonry, and reactivate it (only way to get 3 columns at the moment), but then the layout seemed to stick... will try it on the live site shortly... many, many thanks!

Steve

SteveMcN

Post by SteveMcN » 24 May 2012, 01:14

OK, Drake, gone live with that fix at www.theoldmarket.com: I hope this has helped fchang too, sorry to hijack your thread, but it does look like we're having the same issue... it remains that selecting multiple columns in custom layout does not work unless jquery masonry is used.

Thanks again

Steve

fchang

Post by fchang » 24 May 2012, 18:32

Great! Since I don't know much about CSS, I guess I'll put that two lines in and give it a roll...

Result: The 'custom include' did force all custom layout widgets to have a minimum height, which kind of get around my problem as long as my post's custom excerpts are not too long.

Now, the interesting thing is that on initial load, my cl-widget heights are 146px (too short). But if I 'inspect the css element' using firebug, I can see that the correct calculated value of 182px showed up and the widget height will be fixed (just like resizing the window). Simply refreshing the page does not fix the issue.

Yes, the problem happens on Chrome & Safari only. On Firefox, the cl-widget-row seems to have some extra white space on the bottom.

Anyway, I am happy that there's a workaround for now.