Menu mess after update to WP 3.7

Reports about issues that you encounter in Suffusion. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is being officially closed with effect from 3rd February 2019. Future support requests can be posted on the GitHub page at https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion/issues.
mlun

Menu mess after update to WP 3.7

Post by mlun » 29 Oct 2013, 06:52

I'm aware that there are some posts about this issue, but after having tried various methods for cleaning up, I'm still not where I were at the beginning, and simply cannot see how I et there. This is quite tedius, and a thing that can make one start to consider alternative menus if this is a struggle you have to go through after each WP update.

Is this possibly something that will be corrected via a Suffusion theme update? In that case the best advise might be to restore from backup and wait till suffusion has been updated.

Colin

Re: Menu mess after update to WP 3.7

Post by Colin » 29 Oct 2013, 07:50

Of the in excess of 1 million users of Suffusion only a very small number of people have been affected by this issue, unfortunately you are one of this exclusive group. Everyone to date has been able to resolve the problem by following Drake's advice on this post: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28545#p72122

Have you run through all the steps on that post? It may be worth trying again following each step carefully.

If you have and you still have the problem then PM either Drake or I with an Admin login to your site along with the url and we will take a look for you.

richard sisk

Post by richard sisk » 29 Oct 2013, 15:55

I have tried to fix my menu also which now includes categories. I have those in the sidebar. I have used suffusion for years but the suggestions on how fix this are confusing and I have wasted a lot of time trying to correct the problem... Please help remove the category listings as I am thoroughly confused and frustrated by this mess. Thanks :oops:
HDR360pro.com
Never mind I think I have sort of fixed the major problem... PITA

mophilly

Post by mophilly » 01 Nov 2013, 13:28

richard sisk wrote:Never mind I think I have sort of fixed the major problem
What changes worked for you?

drake

Post by drake » 01 Nov 2013, 14:49

The problem of categories need to be fixed after upgrading to WP 3.7.1. as this new version addressed the bug of exclusion of categories from WP 3.7.

The menu problem is confusing because it not have an apparent reason and appear suddenly, only for few sites. I see the problem only on 3 sites from 36 which I monitoring currently. On these sites WP consider that all Custom Menus defined at Appearance -> Menu need to be assigned by default to all available navigation bars.

In other words, if you have a menu defined only for using on the sidebars, but for Navigation Bar use the Suffusion Menus defined at Other Graphical Elements, WordPress will not respect your decision, but will add the Custom Menu to both Navigation Bars - even if one of them or both are hidden and inactive.

The solution is simple - go at Appearance -> Menus and edit the problematic menu. Assign it to both Navigation Bars and save. Uncheck the box for the navigation bar where you don't wish to have the menu and save again the menu.

haggis

Post by haggis » 11 Nov 2013, 05:44

Thanks Drake, this problem affected one of my websites and your solution worked

LilisNotes

Post by LilisNotes » 13 Jul 2014, 10:22

drake wrote:The problem of categories need to be fixed after upgrading to WP 3.7.1. as this new version addressed the bug of exclusion of categories from WP 3.7.

The menu problem is confusing because it not have an apparent reason and appear suddenly, only for few sites. I see the problem only on 3 sites from 36 which I monitoring currently. On these sites WP consider that all Custom Menus defined at Appearance -> Menu need to be assigned by default to all available navigation bars.

In other words, if you have a menu defined only for using on the sidebars, but for Navigation Bar use the Suffusion Menus defined at Other Graphical Elements, WordPress will not respect your decision, but will add the Custom Menu to both Navigation Bars - even if one of them or both are hidden and inactive.

The solution is simple - go at Appearance -> Menus and edit the problematic menu. Assign it to both Navigation Bars and save. Uncheck the box for the navigation bar where you don't wish to have the menu and save again the menu.
Hi drake,

The solution you shared has been helpful several times. Right now I have a site (carlosmruano.com) that has 2 sets of: Bio, Exhibitions, Press, and Contact. Under "Appearance", "Menu Settings" there is nothing selected under "Naviagation Bars. I figured I needed to change something in Suffusion, but I can't seem to be able to change this. I'd appreciate any help.

Thank you!!

Colin

Post by Colin » 13 Jul 2014, 13:43

I must admit that I now find it easier to use Appearance > Menus rather than Suffusion Options > Other Graphical Elements > Menu below header.

If I was you I would go to the Suffusion option and unset all the menu and then create a new Wordpress menu You have probably duplicated some elements in the Suffusion option.

LilisNotes

Post by LilisNotes » 15 Jul 2014, 17:21

Thanks, Colin. I'll do what you suggest.

~L.