Unable to save changes

Reports about issues that you encounter in Suffusion. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is being officially closed with effect from 3rd February 2019. Future support requests can be posted on the GitHub page at https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion/issues.
Otter2

Unable to save changes

Post by Otter2 » 10 Apr 2014, 07:24

Hi, I'm using Wordpress 3.9 and have installed Suffusion 4.4.7. It looks like a great theme, but soon I noticed that no change in the options was ever saved. Some are saved in the admin interface (I mean, they stay as I set them), but not on the site itself; it never changes one bit.

I've googled around and read about the Suhoshin problem, but it appears there isn't any Suhoshin at all in my website, so I don't know how to solve this issue that makes Suffusion totally unusable.
Any help? Thanks in advance.

Colin

Re: Unable to save changes

Post by Colin » 10 Apr 2014, 09:18

Do you have a caching plugin? If so disable it.

Otter2

Post by Otter2 » 10 Apr 2014, 14:36

Nope, I only had the plugins that come with the default installation of Wordpress, and I removed them, as it was one of the advices I googled, but to no avail.

drake

Post by drake » 11 Apr 2014, 18:35

I tested Suffusion 4.4.7. on WordPress 3.9 RC1 and it works without problems. It is still something related to your installation.

Try to select "Auto-generate the CSS and print it in the HTML source (Least load on server, ugly page source code)" at the first option from Suffusion Options -> Backend -> Site Optimization (this will assure that your styles will be generated on the fly and not loaded from a file which can be eventually cached by your server). Also go at http://validator.w3.org/ and check your site for markup errors which can break the display of frontend of the site.

Otter2

Post by Otter2 » 12 Apr 2014, 09:09

The validator only gave me this warning:

"Using experimental feature: HTML5 Conformance Checker.

The validator checked your document with an experimental feature: HTML5 Conformance Checker. This feature has been made available for your convenience, but be aware that it may be unreliable, or not perfectly up to date with the latest development of some cutting-edge technologies. If you find any issues with this feature, please report them. Thank you. "

Anyway, thanks, after changing that option I also tried to revert it back to default ("Auto-generate the CSS and link it as a file (Low load on server, elegant page source code)") and installed some plug-ins, and it seems to be working fine. Well, so far I've only changed a couple little things, but unless some other issue pops out, for now it's good.

swanandprasad

Post by swanandprasad » 29 May 2014, 06:40

I have the same problem but an unable to solve it.
An example would be when i try to change the skin it apparently saves the change but when i go back a page the skin is unchanged. If i view the blog it is obviously also unchanged.
If i check at http://validator.w3.org/ it shows no errors.
After reading Drake 'Try to select "Auto-generate the CSS and print it in the HTML source (Least load on server, ugly page source code)" at the first option from Suffusion Options -> Backend -> Site Optimization (this will assure that your styles will be generated on the fly and not loaded from a file which can be eventually cached by your server)'
If i try to change those setting they also don't save!

The theme is fantastic so i don't want to give up.
I have 3 goals:
1. Get rid of the 'Comments off' and 'Category' button on top of the post.
2. Widen the page to full width
3. Change the skin.

I have tried the solutions on this forum which others have had for goal 1. but changes don't save so it is impossible.
If i try to widen the page it doesn't save.
I have turned off all the plugins and have even deleted suffusion and re-installed but that has remembered my changes. I am not sure how to make a clean re-install.

I tried the tips of Sayontan
http://aquoid.com/news/2011/03/using-th ... ion-3-7-7/
but that post is from 2011 and most of her paths don't exist anymore.
e.g. Other Graphical Elements → Sizes and Margins:

I think i must have done something wrong.
I use Firefox but i have same problem with IE.

drake

Post by drake » 30 May 2014, 08:53

First of all, check the version of theme. If you have updated WordPress to any version above 3.6 you need also to update the theme to 4.4.7. If this is not possible because you changed some files, read my post from the top of forum where you will find instructions and a link to download admin.js file needed for replacing the file from your server.

If you can confirm that your version is 4.4.7. then the problem come from a plugin which break the backend of WordPress. So, follow the standard procedure of debugging WordPress and disable ALL your plugins, check if the problem is solved, then re-enable them one-by-one until you find the culprit.

Then you will be able to make your settings:
- for skin at Suffusion Options -> Skinning -> Theme Selection;
- for comment and category links at Suffusion Options -> Other Graphical Elements -> Post and Page Bylines;
- for width of the site at Suffusion Options -> Layouts -> Default Sidebar Layout.

swanandprasad

Post by swanandprasad » 30 May 2014, 13:18

Thanks drake,
I have WP 3.9.1. and Suffusion 4.4.7.
As i said in my post i've disabled all plug-ins.
What next?

drake

Post by drake » 30 May 2014, 19:28

I don't know, the Save/Reset button works without problems in Suffusion 4.4.7. on WP 3.9.1. Some ideas:
- try to make changes and save them in other browser - maybe is something wrong with your browser cache;
- you may have an older version of php on your server (check to be at least 5.3.x, without Suhosin enabled);
- increase php memory on your server to 128M or more, see here how: http://dailyblogging.org/wordpress/incr ... ory-limit/
- if you use a child theme, switch to Suffusion (the parent theme) at Appearance -> Themes, maybe is something wrong with the child theme;
- if you don't have files changed in Suffusion, go to your server by ftp and remove completely "suffusion" folder - go then to wp-admin, at Appearance -> Themes and re-install Suffusion from repository, maybe the first installation was incomplete;
- while you are on your server look for "error.log" usually there can find more informations about the errors triggered on your site;
- for the same reason (to see the errors, if you can't find error.log) edit wp-config.php from the root of your WordPress installation, look for the line which contain WP_DEBUG, and change false word to true. After that will see all errors on the top of your site.

mbrsolution

Post by mbrsolution » 31 May 2014, 19:04

Hi @swanandprasad, I can confirm that Suffusion 4.4.7 and WP 3.9.1 do work well and I am able to save the changes.

These are my current settings locally and on some live servers.

Server = Apache
MySQL Version: 5.5.32
PHP Version: 5.4.19

In one of my test environment I am running Suffusion 4.4.7 and WordPress 4.0 Alpha with a few plugins and Suffusion works well.

In my other test environment I am running 40 to 50 different plugins and Suffusion works well. Also I am running Suffusion live on two different host and on many websites all running WordPress 3.9.1 and Suffusion 4.4.7 with various different plugins and also commercial plugins.

I just thought of sharing this information for any one concern.

Kind and warm regards