extra images/thumbnails

Reports about issues that you encounter in Suffusion. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is being officially closed with effect from 3rd February 2019. Future support requests can be posted on the GitHub page at https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion/issues.
jmz1964

extra images/thumbnails

Post by jmz1964 » 12 Apr 2014, 16:31

Hello, I have been a happy Suffusion user for many years. I usually find that it does what i need if i look among its many options. I am not sure if this latest issue I have on my blog is related to Suffusion but I thought I'd ask.

Lately, my uploads folder has been filling up with images. I delete them and they appear again. And a thumb-cache folder has appeared filled with images too. So i am trying to figure out if this a setting I may have left on, with Suffusion or perhaps a plugin.

Firstly, is this likely to be Suffusion? and if not, does anyone have advice of how to figure out what it is? a way of seeing which plugin made the phantom images?
thanks in advance for any help
james

mbrsolution

Re: extra images/thumbnails

Post by mbrsolution » 12 Apr 2014, 17:17

Hi James,

The issue you are experiencing is not coming from Suffusion.
does anyone have advice of how to figure out what it is?
Very hard to tell with out more information.

Can you let us know what plugins you have installed? If you removed any recently can you let us know which plugin you deleted?

Kind regards

drake

Post by drake » 12 Apr 2014, 18:25

The images can come from Suffusion and WordPress. Thumb-cache is the folder used to generate images for excerpts/tiles/mosaic and widgets thumbnails. If you don't use any of this the images can be disabled at Suffusion Options -> Other Graphical Elements -> Miscellaneous -> Thumbnail Generation. Can also use Photon from Jetpack for resizing the images on wordpress.com servers.

Otherwise, this is the way of resizing images in WordPress - on your server is generated a set of images with different sizes for any image you upload.

jmz1964

Post by jmz1964 » 12 Apr 2014, 19:26

thank you so much for your speedy replies.

I think my upload folder has a ton of old images, old thumbnail sizes etc. So i am trying to clean it out. But something regenerates some NEW images. I am puzzled what is doing this.. Is there anywhere I can look (cpanel etc) to figure out which plugin is making them? they are at an unusual size I don't use on my site.
j

Thanks for your tips. I will check those settings.

drake

Post by drake » 12 Apr 2014, 19:29

Try Force Regenerate Thumbnails plugin which will clear the old thumbnails and will generate only actual necessary sizes.

jmz1964

Post by jmz1964 » 12 Apr 2014, 19:35

PS: HERE is a list of all my plugin (active and inactive) so see if any of these are known to you guys as places for me to look.
j

Add From Server

AddThis Social Bookmarking Widget

Akismet

Auto Post Thumbnail

Bad Behavior

Broken Link Checker

Change Memory Limit

Clean Up Images

Dean's Permalinks Migration

Facebook Share Statistics

Google Webmaster Tools

Image Cleanup

Link Library

Link Manager

MailPoet Newsletters

NextScripts: Social Networks Auto-Poster

Official StatCounter Plugin

Optimize Database after Deleting Revisions

Regenerate Thumbnails

Responsive Add Ons

Shadowbox JS

Shadowbox JS - Use Title from Image

Simple Facebook Connect

Social Analytics

Spammer Blocker

Subscribe Button by AddToAny

Subscribe to Comments Reloaded

Verify Google Webmaster Tools

Virtue ToolKit

Wiziapp

WP-Mobilizer

Yet Another Related Posts Plugin

drake

Post by drake » 12 Apr 2014, 19:42

Any plugin which deal with images can have influence. I don't know all your plugins, but seems reasonable to check "Auto Post Thumbnail" and "Yet Another Related Posts Plugin". First of them for sure generate some thumbnails, the second can generate images if it display related posts with thumbnails. "Link Library" I know that use thumbnails, probably those plugins for mobiles can generate some for be served on mobiles...

But can be any other... Any plugin which deal with images or use images can have it's own set...

The standard procedure of debugging WordPress say to disable ALL plugins, check if the problem is solved, then re-enable them one-by-one, checking when the issue reappear. Then you've found the culprit.

jmz1964

Post by jmz1964 » 12 Apr 2014, 19:58

thank you. I will look into those plugins..

Another clue is the way some of these new files are labelled: image-name@2x.jpg and with about 4 size variations. Is that a retina display thing? I recently installed the VIRTUE theme and use a theme switcher for mobile visitors to my blog, so that suffusion is on tablets an computers but virtue is on mobile.

drake

Post by drake » 12 Apr 2014, 20:24

I don't know, I don't use any of these mobiles plugins - Suffusion is responsive by itself...

jmz1964

Post by jmz1964 » 12 Apr 2014, 21:35

hmm.. maybe I should look into suffusion as a mobile theme? but i use 3 fixed-width columns at full size and that does not work so well on a mobile.