UPDATED! Displaying different when logged in vs. not

Reports about issues that you encounter in Suffusion. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is being officially closed with effect from 3rd February 2019. Future support requests can be posted on the GitHub page at https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion/issues.
kgreenbaum

UPDATED! Displaying different when logged in vs. not

Post by kgreenbaum » 18 Aug 2014, 09:01

Hello. I have managed my church's website (http://www.stmartinschurch.org) for about three years using Suffusion (and I've been installing the updates as they come out). I'm flummoxed by this, however. When I'm not logged in, the header logo graphic does not display. I see this behavior in Chrome, Firefox and Safari on the Mac, and on Chrome on the PC (haven't tested other browsers on PC).

UPDATED: It appears this happened when I installed the iThemes Security plugin...but I really want to use that plugin. Do you have any idea why this is affecting Suffusion this way?

Additionally, the slider at the top either displays differently than how it should or (in Safari) does not display at all.

I hope to be attaching a screenshot that shows how it should look (this is a screenshot taken while logged in).

I also noticed that in the settings, there's an option to "Migrate settings from version 3.0.2 or lower" and again, "Migrate settings from version 3.4.3 or lower." I do not know whether I should do this. I installed this theme in autumn of 2011 and I think I've been keeping it updated, but if this will help, please let me know.
Attachments
ff-notloggedin.jpg
How it looks on Firefox when not logged in.
ff-notloggedin.jpg (160.81 KiB) Viewed 14304 times
safari.jpg
How it looks in Safari, when not logged in.
safari.jpg (162.58 KiB) Viewed 14304 times
chrome.jpg
This is how the home page should appear.
chrome.jpg (174.22 KiB) Viewed 14305 times

sportydave

Re: UPDATED! Displaying different when logged in vs. not

Post by sportydave » 22 Aug 2014, 05:19

Are you using or have you added any caching plugins or speed optimization plugins?

mbrsolution

Post by mbrsolution » 30 Aug 2014, 18:57

Hi kgreenbaum,

In regards to your comment....
UPDATED: It appears this happened when I installed the iThemes Security plugin...but I really want to use that plugin. Do you have any idea why this is affecting Suffusion this way?
You might like to use the security plugin I use on all my websites from Tips and Tricks HQ. Here is the http://wordpress.org/plugins/all-in-one ... -firewall/.

Kind regards

dimitrison

Post by dimitrison » 10 Nov 2014, 03:58

Hello,

has anyone found out what causes the conflict between suffusion and ithemes plugins?

Thanks

drake

Post by drake » 10 Nov 2014, 20:35

There are thousands plugins out the world... no theme can be compatible with all of them. If a plugin is not compatible with a theme either change the plugin with another one with the same functionality, either the theme if the plugin cannot be replaced. Only if you need to keep the theme and the conflicting plugin you need to find your own way for avoid the conflict. Sometimes is enough to change some settings, sometimes you need to hack the files for correcting the source of conflict.

But I doubt that there is any conflict between any security plugin and Suffusion... My thought is that you have activate a setting in plugin which block the functionality of theme. I don't use iThemes Security now, but as I remember, it has an advanced section where you need to activate options carefully as they can block some functionality - by eg. if you block long url's or query strings in url's you practically block the access to some stylesheets, so, your site may not look as you want.

So, either enable in plugin only the features which not break things - either move to other security plugin - by eg. I always use Wordfence Security which never brpke anything on my sites.

dimitrison

Post by dimitrison » 11 Nov 2014, 01:35

Thanks for the reply.

I understand how combinations of plugins and themes work (or don't work). I was asking if someone has seen this and whether they addressed it somehow.

I tried deactivating some options (XML-RPC for example) but it didn't work. Eventually, I replaced the security plugin with something else - even though I'd prefer to keep a set of specific plugins to maintain (maintenance work adds up after running upwards of a number of sites ).

Anyway thanks again.