Responsive navigation from non-menu screens (e.g. posts)

Reports about issues that you encounter in Suffusion. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is being officially closed with effect from 3rd February 2019. Future support requests can be posted on the GitHub page at https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion/issues.
JPay

Responsive navigation from non-menu screens (e.g. posts)

Post by JPay » 16 Sep 2014, 04:52

Hello,

When the responsive option is used, the navigation menu changes to a drop-down selection on a smartphone, which is fine. But the problem occurs on non-menu screens, such as posts, search results, author details and so on. On these screens, when you try to navigate away, the drop-down menu shows the last item as being selected (ticked), which for me is my 'contact us' page.

As it appears to think that I am already on the 'contact us' page, I cannot navigate to it directly from a post. Surely the drop-down menu should not have the last menu item selected (or any menu item selected) when you are viewing a post/author details/search results or any other non-menu screen?

And so the bug is that the last item on the (responsive) drop-down menu is selected for non-menu screens.

Any help would be very much appreciated many thanks.

drake

Re: Responsive navigation from non-menu screens (e.g. posts)

Post by drake » 17 Sep 2014, 03:16

It is more a bug of jQuery plugin used for transforming the menu in select list at lower resolutions. I didn't find a solution for this. But you can try my plugin Suffusion Collapse Menu from WP Repository which replace the select list with a button - nothing selected by default.

JPay

Post by JPay » 17 Sep 2014, 06:43

The plugin does allow me to navigate to the contact page from a non-menu page, but it has a few drawbacks.

On my iPhone, the highlighting on the drop-down menu appears to jump around with a life of its own. When I scroll down to see the lower options on the drop-down menu the highlighting jumps around and often ends up on selections that were nowhere near my finger.

Using the back arrow takes you back to the previous screen but with the drop-down menu expanded. This is not very nice.

The plugin is a nice attempt, and so many thanks for trying to find a solution, but it is not for me. I also now realise that this is a jQuery problem rather than Suffusion code. But if this is the case, why haven't all other WordPress users complained about this problem? Very strange!

drake

Post by drake » 17 Sep 2014, 07:55

Because this jQuery plugin (TinyNav by Viljami Salminem) is used in Suffusion and not necessarily in other themes (and for sure isn't part of WordPress). Also my plugin only load Viljami's Responsive Nav jQuery plugin for transforming the select list to that menu.

JPay

Post by JPay » 17 Sep 2014, 13:11

Many thanks for investigating.

I've just looked at a couple of other WordPress sites, and on my iPhone their drop-down menus start with 'Go to...' or 'Navigate to...', and this first option is selected by default. I guess this must be due to different jQuery code.

Can the jQuery in Suffusion be changed/fixed or can nothing be done?

mbrsolution

Post by mbrsolution » 17 Sep 2014, 14:05

Hi @JPay, I understand your problem and I also experienced this.

What I did to over come this inconvenience which is just a minor glitch. I created a home link in the menu. So when ever anyone is using their mobile device and go to the menu, they immediately are taken to the page or post they choose since the Home page link is now selected by default .

This is the only work around I found so far.

Kind regards

JPay

Post by JPay » 17 Sep 2014, 17:53

Hi @mbrsolution,

I'm afraid I don't understand how that solves the problem. Surely if the home page is selected by default then users will not be able to navigate to the home page from any post or search results or author details or any other non-menu screen.

Would this not just shift the problem from not being able to navigate to one page to not being able to navigate to another?

mbrsolution

Post by mbrsolution » 17 Sep 2014, 19:58

Hi @JPay,

I understand what you mean. The reason why I have implemented this feature as mentioned in my previous post, is to allow anyone when they click on the navigation menu on their mobile device to click on another link.

For example by having the Home link as the default, no one would click on the Home link since they are already on the home page. Hence they would click on another link when using the navigation menu.

This method works for me. Perhaps it is not the best but it makes me happy :D

Regards

JPay

Post by JPay » 26 Sep 2014, 16:01

Hi @drake,

Presumably this bug affects all Suffusion websites, or at least all the ones that want to work on mobile phones?

As such, I'd have thought it was a serious bug. Some people may consider this a minor bug because the user can navigate to a different page, which will then allow them to navigate to the desired page. Whereas this is true, it makes all Suffusion sites appear a bit naff.

If I can figure out a fix I'll post the solution here. I think the drop-down menu should start with "Go to..." and this should be selected (ticked) as the default option. This would allow any menu page to be selected.

I'd love to hear if anyone out there has already figured out how to do this?

JulietLindt

Post by JulietLindt » 03 Oct 2014, 14:55

I'm having the same issue when I use responsive, in search results etc. when navigating away from the page as the menu has the last item selected. Hopefully this JQuery bug gets sorted soon, but in the meantime anyone have a temporary solution?