"Preview" not working since WP 4.0/Suffusion 4.4.7 /Solved/

Reports about issues that you encounter in Suffusion. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is being officially closed with effect from 3rd February 2019. Future support requests can be posted on the GitHub page at https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion/issues.
Zaphodbeeblerock

Re: "Preview" not working any more since WP 4.0/Suffusion 4.

Post by Zaphodbeeblerock » 29 Oct 2014, 14:03

Hi
As I also ran out of ideas I just tried a downgrade to WP 3.92, and now things seem to work properly again.
Till now just on my test-server, but I guess this is going to work also "in real".

I am a little afraid Suffusion is not going to updated anymore ...

Kind regards, and thank you for helping me
Alexander

drake

Post by drake » 29 Oct 2014, 21:09

Ok, I also saw this behavior last days. Without Suffusion installed. But on a very poor hosting plan. First, the server was IIS on Windows. In this case could be an adventure to set permalinks. Second I had only 2 databases available.
So, I tried to install a test site on a subfolder, using one of existing databases with a new wp prefix for tables. All things seems to go fine until I tried to enable pretty links... From here become a nightmare. The site goes down with a 500 error and I revived it by editing web.config (equivalent of .htaccess from Apache servers). But the permalinks don't works... all existing page/posts was reported as 404 errors by the main site (not by test site). Preview of posts/pages didn't works anymore, but if I switch a post as Draft, I can see it with the Preview button (because Preview of drafts call a native link with ?post_id=.... in it, not the actual url of the post as for published posts)

I ended by removing completely the test installation - files from server and tables from database - then installing the test site on a subdomain created for this scope. Until now, all things goes fine, I even was able to install Suffusion and changes in posts/pages can be previewed. But I lose 2 days on this Windows server for something which works on Linux in 5 minutes out of the box.

So, I still think that the problem, like in my case, come from poor servers with lack of resources or not really adapted for hosting WordPress. Version by version WordPress ask for more and more resources - a year ago 96MB for php memory was more than enough, now is recommended to set 256MB.

Might help to add in wp-config.php immediately after WP_DEBUG line this code:

Code: Select all

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'CONCATENATE_SCRIPTS', false );

Zaphodbeeblerock

Post by Zaphodbeeblerock » 30 Oct 2014, 02:42

Hello

Unfortunatelly I was wrong.
Its not working, not with 3.9, not with 3.6 (which was the last working setup). The downgraded Setup only had the same backgroundcolour than the error-message so I thought its gone ... what a pitty.

Now I am completely out of Ideas...
Shall I try to put your code as you mentioned although its is not running on WP 3.6?

kind regards

drake

Post by drake » 30 Oct 2014, 11:07

You can use the code for any version of WP

Zaphodbeeblerock

Post by Zaphodbeeblerock » 03 Nov 2014, 11:30

Hello

I had a backup with WP 3.5 and Suffusion 4.4.4. Yesterday I decided not to care about WP 4 and reinstalled the backup. Everything fine now ...
But in long terms I don´t really know what to do.

Kind regards
Alexander

Colin

Post by Colin » 03 Nov 2014, 13:06

I would create a development site and use the backup to create it and then work through the issues to get it running on WP 4.0

Zaphodbeeblerock

Re: "Preview" not working since WP 4.0/Suffusion 4.4.7 /Solv

Post by Zaphodbeeblerock » 13 Feb 2015, 16:54

Hello

After long time I got it running :D
Latest Suffusion/WP 4.1

Solution:

I made a backup from my running System with the "duplicator plugin" (great plugin btw.), then I created a new database on my testerver, did the upload, then the updates, and it worked!!!

So there was sth. wrong with the database ...

Then the same backwards: Backup with duplicator, new database on my real server, upload, finished

So, thank you for helping me!!!

Btw: I really hope there will be future suffusion-updates! For me it is still the best theme, and I really don´t see any alternatives.

Kind regards
Alexander

drake

Re: "Preview" not working since WP 4.0/Suffusion 4.4.7 /Solv

Post by drake » 14 Mar 2015, 16:07

I think that finally I was able to isolate the initial problem and I provided a simple solution: http://www.drafie-design.nl/solving-ill ... ing-posts/