Featured Content and Wibiya Bar conflict

Reports about issues that you encounter in Suffusion. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is being officially closed with effect from 3rd February 2019. Future support requests can be posted on the GitHub page at https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion/issues.
ogijima

Featured Content and Wibiya Bar conflict

Post by ogijima » 26 Jun 2011, 08:17

Hi,

I have an issue with the Wibiya bar and my featured content box.
Actually, everything works fine when they're on together, but I've been wanting to remove the wibiya sharebar as it's increasing the load time of the page for not much benefit, and this is when I deactivate the plugin that the problem occurs : the featured content stops working. The box will show up, but it will be empty of content (the "Previous Post", "Pause" & "Next Post" link still appear, but that's all).
I assume this has to do with Javascript (are some lines getting removed when I deactivate the wibiya plugin?), but as I'm pretty ignorant in coding, I'm not sure how to proceed to get the original code back (if this is what's happening.)

My blog's url: http://ogijima.fr

Dark_Fox28

Re: Featured Content and Wibiya Bar conflict

Post by Dark_Fox28 » 06 Jul 2011, 12:37

ogijima wrote:Hi,

I have an issue with the Wibiya bar and my featured content box.
Actually, everything works fine when they're on together, but I've been wanting to remove the wibiya sharebar as it's increasing the load time of the page for not much benefit, and this is when I deactivate the plugin that the problem occurs : the featured content stops working. The box will show up, but it will be empty of content (the "Previous Post", "Pause" & "Next Post" link still appear, but that's all).
I assume this has to do with Javascript (are some lines getting removed when I deactivate the wibiya plugin?), but as I'm pretty ignorant in coding, I'm not sure how to proceed to get the original code back (if this is what's happening.)

My blog's url: http://ogijima.fr
I tried that bar, it did indeed cause a lot of load and slowdown, shame as i kinda liked its look.

Also in Suffusion Options - Back End Settings - Site Optimization try choosing regular version of JQuery cycle.

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 06 Jul 2011, 12:50

This has nothing to do with JQuery Cycle. The problem is that one of your plugins is including a CDN version of JQuery from Google and that version is reporting JS errors. That is causing the rest of the scripts to not execute.

ogijima

Post by ogijima » 06 Jul 2011, 15:55

I use the "use Google Librairies" plugin. Could it be that? Should I take it out?

Also, I just found out that if I deactivate both the wibiya plugin and my "JS & CSS Script Optimizer" plugin, everything works fine (no more wibar and featured content works fine).

So I guess that could mean I should get rid of either "use google librairies" or "JS & CSS Script Optimizer"?
What choice is the best in your opinion (I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to JS ).

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 06 Jul 2011, 16:01

I am not familiar with any of the plugins. Maybe the JS & CSS Optimizer has an option to use CDN libraries from Google. If so, then that will cause an issue, and simply turning off that option should be fine without deactivating the plugin. WP's recommendations are that you should use JS files distributed with WP.

ogijima

Post by ogijima » 06 Jul 2011, 16:19

After a few more testings, now that I could figure out the culprits, the problem was that "JS & CSS Script Optimizer" prevents the Featured Content to work (but didn't when the Wibar was activated).
This plugin doesn't have options, all it does is:

"Features: Combine all scripts into the single file, Pack scripts using PHP version of the Dean Edwards's JavaScript Packer, Move all JavaScripts to the bottom, Combine all CSS scripts into the single file, Pack CSS files (remove comments, tabs, spaces, newlines)."

So I guess this is conflicting with some of the ways Suffusion deals with those (maybe I didn't configure properly the way Suffusion deals with JS and CSS, I'm close to clueless with those, and as such with the "Site optimization" part of Suffusion).

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 06 Jul 2011, 16:41

I have pretty much got rid of all optimization options that deal with script placement. The true culprit is probably the "Packer" script, because unlike regular minification this script does code obfuscation as well. And if it tries to obfuscate an already minified file then there may be issues.

ogijima

Post by ogijima » 07 Jul 2011, 02:08

Thanks a lot.

Dark_Fox28

Post by Dark_Fox28 » 07 Jul 2011, 04:40

ogijima wrote:Thanks a lot.
If you want to help with page speed i recommend W3 Total Cache, it will pretty much do what that script you had running does and it plays friendly with Wordpress and Suffusion.

ogijima

Post by ogijima » 07 Jul 2011, 04:47

I used to use W3 Cache, but at some point it really messed things up for my blogs. So now I'm using Super Cache. I'm not against going back to W3 if it works fine now, but Super Cache is much easier to configure for me.