Google Advertising Slot Above Header and Speeding up Site

Requests for new features. You cannot post to this forum because new feature requests are not accepted any more.
Forum rules
New feature requests are no longer accepted, so you cannot post to this forum any more.
Dark_Fox28

Google Advertising Slot Above Header and Speeding up Site

Post by Dark_Fox28 » 11 Mar 2010, 10:54

Hi Again

Still loving this theme and the fact you are constantly updating it.

I recently updated my site at http://www.darkrealmfox.com/film_reviews/ and i am getting about 126 sql queries and according to the view page source the page is being generated in 1 second to 1.4 seconds which seems slow.

Obviously my server and internet speed and probably the widgets and Google ads all play a part in speed of the site.

I have had to do away with the excellent Featured Content slider as the page load was high due to each image being around 40k and i now have just 6 excerpts on the page with each image optimized to around 4k to 6k each. I also have a NextGen gallery sidebar with six images also optimized.

The page loads fast enough for me but thats probably due to it being in the cache and i use DB Cache Reloaded to try and help with keeping things running smoothly. I used to use WP Super Cache but i found the pages loaded faster using DB Cache Reloaded and WP Super Cache stopped working for me after the last update they did.

My hosting company is Inmotion Hosting and i have a VPS hosting account with them.

Basically i'm wondering if it's possible to optimize the JQuery as it seems to be over 100k according to a website optimization page i checked. I had to disable bad behaviour plugin to actually get the optimization page to read my site which is a little worrying but i'm getting visitors so the page must be visible.

Does Google Ads cause any slowdown that is significant. I only run ads due to the high cost of a VPS server and the fact my hosting company has issues with a large number of SQL queries and basically forced me onto their VPS plan.

Regarding Google ads i would like to run an ad at the very top of the page above the header and wonder if this is possible.

Another alternative to ads in the header is to be able to add a links section to the bottom footer of the page and have links on one side of the footer and run adds on the other side next to the links but unfortunately it only lets me add the ads below the links and not next to them. Is there a waorkaround for this or can you add the ability to allow this in a future update.

As i say i love this theme but i'm currently experiencing a little slowdown of the site and i'm not sure if it's JQuery or my hosting company to blame.

Anyway i look forward to further additions to your theme and wish you a fab evening.

sayontan
Site Admin

Re: Google Advertising Slot Above Header and Speeding up Site

Post by sayontan » 11 Mar 2010, 12:01

I am not seeing an issue with your page load time - it is very quick. Also the JQuery file is already compressed and it is 55KB, not 100. I ran your page through Pingdom and looked at the link hierarchy. If anything could be called a problem, it is the time taken to establish the connection and download the first byte for all the content in your page. Once the first byte is loaded things happen pretty quickly.

Lastly, the speed of query processing is quite good I would say. And given the type of content you have on your page, 126 queries is quite less.

Dark_Fox28

Post by Dark_Fox28 » 11 Mar 2010, 13:58

It must just be my internet connection then.

I see the scripts run to just over 100kb not the JQuery so my mistake for thinking JQuery was over 100kb - The CSS seems high at 94kb ( not intended as a criticism ) but i don't have a clue how to optimize scripts and CSS files or even if it's possible.

I take it the time taken to establish the connection is beyond my control and is a hosting issue. Any tips on how to improve this and keep my current web host provider ?

If there is a way of having two widgets next to each other on the footer section that would be great as per above i would like to be able to add a links section on the left side of the footer and on the right side of the footer have Google ads. Looking at the features i'm thinking i may actually be able to add Google ads to the header ( although i'm not sure )

Anyways it's good to know the site loads fast and it must just be my connection tonight.

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 11 Mar 2010, 21:26

Not sure where you got the CSS figure, because if I add up all the CSS content it is around 60KB. Also most of the CSS files start loading in parallel except one pair which needs to load in serial. I had dabbled with CSS compression earlier, but the reduction wasn't significant enough to sweat about.

Frankly I wouldn't put much stock in the analysis, because unless your site is slow as molasses (which yours is definitely not) you don't have much to worry about. The best indicator for this is to check the Pingdom report and click on the "Show Link Hierarchy" button at the top, because that shows you what the sequence of loading the content is. What loads last are really small things like bullets etc and they have minimal visual impact. As an FYI I loaded your site from a rather slow connection on a flight and found no problems with the load speed.

For the footer you could use the Widget Area Above Footer. It behaves roughly the same way as the Widget Area Below Header. You cannot explicitly put widgets into the footer itself. There is no way to put in ads above the header without hacking into the code.

Dark_Fox28

Post by Dark_Fox28 » 12 Mar 2010, 00:29

The Pingdom site is where i see the CSS mentioned. I pasted and copied the info it told me below.

When i check the link hierarchy it doesn't actually correlate with the information below near the bottom of the page so i'm not sure why it says CSS is 94kb or why scripts are 105kb since it doesn't appear to show anything loading on the top part of the Pingdom page that is that size although maybe it's adding things together. I'm probably reading something wrong and as long as the page loads fast i'm happy enough.

I tried adding a link widget and text widget ( containing the Google adsense code ) to the widget area above footer but they just go on top of each other and i was hoping to have the ads on one side with the links on the other in the same way i have done with the bit below the header section of the site. it doesn't seem to work like the section below the header where i have four category post widgets side by side.

My site is 1280px wide so a 790px Google ad and the links should play friendly and sit side by side.

I'll have another go though and report back if i can get it to work.

Website information

Total loading time:
7.7 seconds
Total objects:
59 (288.7 KB)
External objects:
2 (35.8 KB)
HTML (X)HTML:
1 (37.8KB)
RSS RSS/XML:
CSS CSS:
9 (94.7KB)
Scripts Scripts:
6 (105.2KB)
Images Images:
43 (51.1KB)
Plugins Plugins:
Other Other:
Redirected Redirected:

Dark_Fox28

Post by Dark_Fox28 » 14 Mar 2010, 10:28

Just to report back on my problems with the footer area.

I had forgotten to go to the suffusion theme options and select more than 1 column hence not being able to see them side by side.

Silly of me but i thought i would post in case others do the same as me.