hide closed comments even for Intense Debate

Requests for new features. You cannot post to this forum because new feature requests are not accepted any more.
Forum rules
New feature requests are no longer accepted, so you cannot post to this forum any more.
marcnyc

hide closed comments even for Intense Debate

Post by marcnyc » 13 May 2010, 16:30

I know it is not your responsibility to ensure that third party plugins work with Suffusion but I was wondering if you would consider tweaking the lovely Suffusion feature that hides the "closed comments" text at the bottom of posts for which comments have been disabled even when Intense Debate is installed...

I have been testing the Intense Debate and Disqus enhanced commenting systems for WordPress and I had decided to use Intense Debate because it integrates better (especially on the admin side) and it is owned by the same company who owns WordPress... However unfortunately Intense Debate seems to have its own comment closure system and so when comments are disabled you can still see their "comments disabled" section at the end of the posts. It would be great if Suffusion could be tweaked to remove those as well...

If you have a minute to install Intense Debate you'll see exactly what I mean and hopefully you will consider this feature request.
Thanks

Connie

Re: hide closed comments even for Intense Debate

Post by Connie » 13 May 2010, 23:39

why not identify the CSS of that "comments are closed" and set that to visibility:hidden, display:none in the Custom CSS?

I think you should try that first and not put all burden on Sayontan's shoulder.
It can be easily acchieved by custom CSS, I guess

marcnyc

Post by marcnyc » 14 May 2010, 07:43

I had thought of that but unfortunately they use a javascript and so I'm unable to see what CSS definitions they use from looking at the source code

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 14 May 2010, 08:25

Marc,
The more I think about it, this feels like a question for the Intense Debate guys rather than Suffusion. Shouldn't they provide an option to hide the message if comments are closed? After all it is not a stylesheet tweak that you are asking from me, but you are asking me to integrate that plugin's features with WP as a whole (not just Suffusion).

Sayontan.

marcnyc

Post by marcnyc » 14 May 2010, 08:34

Hey Sayontan, I have asked the question there several times.
They do provide the option to close the comments but when comments are closed you get a message that says "comments are closed". Suffusion allows you to remove this message when the regular WP comments are used so i was only asking if you could tweak the code a bit so that it ALSO hides the "comments are closed" message that Intense Debate spits out.

Connie

Post by Connie » 14 May 2010, 09:25

Marcync,

you can't expect that Suffusion does everything what other people are too lazy to ;=)

but there are some ways to get rid of that message:

- if they do not react to support, don't use it
- you can check whether this plugin has language files, by that you can erase the text which you do not want to see
- you can read over the javascript to find the relevant text and erase it in the javascript if it is in the Javascript

I get the impression that Suffusion support covers more and more real life problems than Suffusion-own problems ;=) :D

marcnyc

Post by marcnyc » 14 May 2010, 09:58

Connie you don't have to be so snappy all the time...
I am not EXPECTING anything, I am merely ASKING for Sayontan to CONSIDER IT... expecting and asking to consider are different words and different attitudes...
now you can continue to criticize me for asking to consider, but the fact is that if there were thousands of people using Intense Debate then I am sure Sayontan might consider this more than if there's only a few people... however there is no way for him to know if there are thousands or a few if none of them lets him know that they use Intense Debate... right?
Now consider the fact that Intense Debate is owned by Attomatic, the same company that owns WordPress, so it is possible, if not likely, that use of Intense Debate might become much more widely embraced or maybe even integrated in WP3, who knows... in which case I am sure Sayontan MIGHT consider...

If he tells me that he won't consider it for whatever reason I will probably use Disqus instead of Intense Debate, although I think the rather is better integrated with WP, especially on the admin end where it looks just like WP instead of using an iFrame like Discqus does

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 14 May 2010, 10:31

Now consider the fact that Intense Debate is owned by Attomatic
Definitely a point worth consideration. My main barrier against supporting plugins is that they have often been written in a very weird manner, with all kinds of sweeping assumptions - a classic case is the NextGEN widget, which can really butcher your theme's layout (not just Suffusion's).

If Intense Debate is indeed owned by Automattic chances are that there will be some hooks that I will be able to use straight out of the box and this might not be a toughie after all.

marcnyc

Post by marcnyc » 14 May 2010, 10:35

just let us know if you think you can support it... if not let me know either way so I know...
thanks for your time and for warning us about nextgen... I'll try to remember to stay away from that!

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 14 May 2010, 10:44

Well, NextGEN works (though I have never used it). It is just that its widget (which is just one part of the plugin) goes wonky under certain conditions, like enabling web-slices etc. Also it assumes that the widget header is a h2 tag, which is rubbish, because it tends to ignore standard WP variables.