Chronological Ordering of Posts

Requests for new features. You cannot post to this forum because new feature requests are not accepted any more.
Forum rules
New feature requests are no longer accepted, so you cannot post to this forum any more.
danof89

Re: Chronological Ordering of Posts

Post by danof89 » 19 Jul 2010, 19:05

Thanks for responding so promptly. Also, thank for the site reference pointing out some of the flaws in my site. I wish I knew how to address all of the issues. Perhaps with a little more research, I can. As far as the load time for the site. Yes, it is long. I expect this somewhat, because of the nature of the site. I rely heavily on the Apture feature for visual reference for the reader. I wouldn't mind reducing the number of posts on the main page, but am unsure how to do so. I would like a rather large number to appear in excerpt view (perhaps 10 or so) Just because the site is very visceral in its presentation. As far as the "Chronological Order" of things. Yes, my "latest" post appears at the top. However, everything after that seems to be pulled from entries from about a year ago. Though they appear in order, they are NOT my latest posts. Does that help to clarify? I am sorry that I don't know more about code. I understand that I am relying heavily on plugins, but in order to perform the way I'd like, (offer the reader more "gadgets" or "things to do") it seemed necessary. I originally wanted to migrate my Blogger blog to the site ( http://gofiggr.blogspot.com ), because their text editor didn't rely so much on knowing code, but it wasn't possible with my host server (and Suffusion isn't available for Blogger) :D .

I would appreciate any more information you could give me to at least get the order of things corrected.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Warm Regards,

Dan L Freeburg ~ danof89 ~ http://gofiggr.com

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 19 Jul 2010, 19:21

Dan,
Let me reiterate a few things:
1. The theme orders things in reverse chronological order. Not any other way. If you are getting a messed up post order the theme is certainly not the culprit.
2. Your incorrect sequence can be caused by improper plugins - it is extremely likely. I can say with a degree of certainty that one of your several plugins is causing you this issue.
3. A lot of layout issues are caused by improper HTML. So the quicker you fix your validation errors the safer it is, particularly since the number of errors you have is abnormally high.

Your first course of action is to deactivate all your plugins. See if this fixes the chronology. If so, then obviously one of your plugins is messing things up.

Second, did you change any of the theme files? If so, roll back your changes.

Dark_Fox28

Post by Dark_Fox28 » 20 Jul 2010, 05:21

As already said the plugins are likely the cause, one of them is stopping the latest posts showing and its probably a configuration issue with how that plugin is setup.

Incidentally you should ditch things like Ultimate SEO and the Google analytics plugins, this theme comes with enough SEO and Google Analytics built in.

In your admin panel go to Suffusion, you will find it at the bottom left side of the page, open it and click on blog features and site optimization and make sure Enable GZip compression and minification, Enable GZip compression and Enable GZip compression are turned on, this will help the site a lot.

Under Blog Features then click Analytics and insert your Google Analytics code here, do this only after disabling the Google Analytics plugin you have. You can check all your stats from the Google Ads official site page.

After disabling your ultimate SEO pack go to Blog Features and SEO/Meta Settings and put your Meta Description and Keywords in here, i recommend Light SEO if you wish to change the home page description to a better one than just your site name showing up in the browser window, Light SEO works well with what is already available with Suffusion.

To use Excerpts for the front page go to Blog Features and Layout: Excerpt / List / Tile / Full.

Choose Layout Settings for the Front Page and Display Excerpt.

If you go to Visual Effects and Theme Skinning and scroll to the bottom of the page you will see an option to turn off the date, this can help with hiding your old posts while you try and figure out which plugin is causing the issue with the front page not displaying latest posts. If you can come back and name your plugins i might hazard a guess as to which one is causing the problem.

Incidentally SEO wise the ultimate pack isn't needed, my site is darkrealmfox.com and for a small site i'm doing ok with getting into the Google browser for some search terms. For example put into Google browser Naomi Watts Picture Gallery and i'm on the front page of the results, not bad considering the competition and this is purely down to Meta Description, enabling tags under each post helps a lot too. Put blu ray screencaps or bd screencaps or indeed a post i just did yesterday, put in hd screencaps predator and you will pull up my site too. Pretty pleased about that, it shows the right Meta Description can beat bigger sites on some search terms. ( not all )

The thing about SEO is the competition is huge, therefore pick terms which have less competition to begin with and build from that.

danof89

Post by danof89 » 20 Jul 2010, 14:27

Thanks for helping, but I am finding that the 500+ validation errors is a bit overwhelming. . . I am uncertain how (or even WHAT) I am supposed to be doing. Every time I try to delete a plugin, it doesn't go anywhere. I have tried Wordpress.org and various forums, but am at a loss. . . I don't know where to begin. I've looked at the site you recommended to see all of the problems with various code, but as I explained, I am no computer programmer. It is unfortunate. The site has been pretty popular, but since I've moved it to its own dot-com, these problems seem to have affected the numbers to which I was accustomed. Do you know of a forum for people like me. Perhaps "Html Code for Dummies?"

Thanks,

Dan L Freeburg ~danof89~ http://gofiggr.com

danof89

Post by danof89 » 20 Jul 2010, 14:29

your latest reply didn't appear until after I posted my own helpless response. I will try what you've suggested.

Thank you

Dan L Freeburg ~danof89

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 20 Jul 2010, 15:13

Did you modify any of the theme files?

danof89

Post by danof89 » 20 Jul 2010, 15:48

HELP! I followed all of your suggestions (including the Gzip compression) and got this error:

Warning: ob_start() [ref.outcontrol]: output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression' in /hermes/web06/b2890/moo.danof10/public_html/site/wp-content/themes/suffusion/header.php on line 15

To answer your question, I believe I did change the theme under header.php when I tried to enter the google analytics code. When you stated I didn't have a <head> section, I was (and still am) unsure what that means or how to remedy it. I understand I probably screwed up the code by entering the code in the header.php, but that seemed like the only place I could enter it, per their instructions. I seriously have NO IDEA how to fix this. (I'm sure that's obvious) I just want a clean,workable,functioning site. You have been EXTREMELY helpful, I am just such a novice, it's frustrating. As far as deactivating all of the plugins, I suppose I can, but I don't know how that is going to affect the site during the "down time". Do you think I'm going to have to tear the whole site down and start from scratch? I ended up canceling the Gzip compression, because it was causing me to be unable to open the site altogether.

Thank you - sorry

~danof89

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 20 Jul 2010, 16:06

Dan,
Your host probably has zlib compression turned on, which is fine - you don't have to use GZip.

As for the rest, please follow these steps:
1. Restore ALL of the theme files to their original. If you want you can simply reinstall the theme. It is dangerous to modify code when you yourself admit that you aren't good with it. Your fiddling with the header.php is essentially catastrophic, since you deleted the </head> tag.
2. Deactivate ALL your plugins. I would even suggest deleting them to avoid clutter on your site.
3. See if you can trade off some functionality or you would swap some functionality. An example would be the docked bar you have at the top - you might want to use the inbuilt "Follow Me" widget and put it in your sidebar.
4. Do thorough research for the next batch of plugins you will use. If any plugin suggests that you should modify code, drop it. Find an alternative.

Beyond this I am afraid we will not be able to help you. The simplest solution for you is to hire a developer to fix your stuff. I don't know what your budget is, but I think it is unfair to expect volunteers on a free forum to solve all your issues, particularly when your support questions have well and truly nothing to do with this theme.

Sayontan.

danof89

Post by danof89 » 20 Jul 2010, 16:17

I wasn't EXPECTING anything, but I truly appreciate your time, patience and help. I have zero budget, but I thank you for your advice. I will attempt to reinstall the theme. I have already dumped a bunch of plugins.

have a nice day

~danof89

Dark_Fox28

Post by Dark_Fox28 » 21 Jul 2010, 08:19

danof89 wrote:I wasn't EXPECTING anything, but I truly appreciate your time, patience and help. I have zero budget, but I thank you for your advice. I will attempt to reinstall the theme. I have already dumped a bunch of plugins.

have a nice day

~danof89
Try these forums.

http://www.webmaster-talk.com/

They could offer much needed help, the best advice is to slim down your home page and try and have less scripts and redirections which really affect site speed and useability. This will mean cutting back on some plugins but a lot of them are not needed and the theme itself comes with some features already built in. Its certainly a few plugins causing issues and you need to locate them and de-activate and delete them, its possible there are better plugins that do the same thing but take up less resources, trial and error really and that web forum above should help you more.

Hope this helps you a little more.