Creating a header image folder

Requests for new features. You cannot post to this forum because new feature requests are not accepted any more.
Forum rules
New feature requests are no longer accepted, so you cannot post to this forum any more.
miserygoat

Creating a header image folder

Post by miserygoat » 31 May 2010, 11:29

I am trying to use the rotating header image functionality of Suffusion and having trouble getting the folder set up.

I uploaded a couple images to the following folder I created:

/home/content/87/6171287/html/wp-content/headerimages

The "use rotating set of images" option is checked under Header Customization and the file path above is used.

When I save the changes the header is blank.

I am new to Wordpress (and Suffusion) so I appreciate your patience with me. :D

Connie

Re: Creating a header image folder

Post by Connie » 31 May 2010, 12:06

Forum rule #6. Post with complete information. Requests for help MUST be accompanied with your URL, particularly if you are asking something like "Why am I seeing a blank space?"

miserygoat

Post by miserygoat » 31 May 2010, 12:28

my apologies.

miserygoat.com

Connie

Post by Connie » 31 May 2010, 13:11

your site blocked my complete CPU .. why are you using so big imagefiles?

it's not funny to land on a site which takes minutes to load and which blocks everything..

161 graphic files on one page .. that's absolutely too much load! Your page contains of 161 graphic files, all together 22MB!

And you wonder why your rotator is not working? I wonder how my connection managed to load all these files...

check the speedreport of your site:
http://www.websiteoptimization.com/cgi- ... oat.com%2F saying: "The size of this web page (3154721 bytes) has exceeded the maximum size of 3000000 bytes." and refusing to analyze further on

now finishing joking and complaining, the images are wonderful, but please reduce your site to show only 10 photos on one page.. there are pagination functionalities around

the photos are beautiful! I was in Afghanistan 30 years ago and I remember these landscapes. Great!

now your problem:

you say you created that folder, I guess it should be http://miserygoat.com/wp-content/headerimages/ from the root of your domain
but that folder does not exist, that's the first point

the second point: did you check "custom styles" at the top of the header-customization"-section??

the third point: Suffusion asks for the path like this:
"Enter the path to a folder under /var/www/web3xxx/html/xxx/wp-content"
so you should enter

Code: Select all

headerimages/ 
check it out!

miserygoat

Post by miserygoat » 31 May 2010, 13:49

The images load reasonably quickly for me on the most specious of wifi connections in Mexico so I don't understand why you're having problems. When I'm home in the states the images load without delay.

I entered the entire path so that's why it wasn't working. :lol:

Thanks for your help. :clap

Connie

Post by Connie » 31 May 2010, 23:25

but remember: a starting page with 22MB is absolutely beyond the limits!

Beleave me, I know that.

Dark_Fox28

Post by Dark_Fox28 » 04 Jun 2010, 07:42

You might want to do what i do for my full hd blu ray screencaps which can be over 1 megabyte each and i usually have between 15 and 21 per page. ( that would be huge if i just put them directly on the page )

I use thumbnails created in Photoshop which link to each larger file so they can be viewed separately.

In fact your site would benefit from that as you can have lovely looking thumbnails of three per row with each thumbnail being 230px wide and it would help with page load times.

As for rotating headers, i use them at my site, i simply have a folder called pics with seven images in.

Put your folder in the wp-content section of Suffusion and in Suffusion Theme Options - Visual Effects - Header Customization scroll down to Folder for Rotating Header background and simply put pics in the section where it asks for your link.

I originally made the mistake of trying to add a full link, you don't need it.

Just name your folder and stick it in the wp-content folder and name it within the suffusion options page above.

In my case that would be this. as my folder for the rotating images is called pics.

Suffusion Theme Options - Visual Effects - Header Customization - Folder for Rotating Header background - pics

You should try to make the background images something like 1000px by 126px as at the moment you are using full size images for your rotating headers which are massive in size, the last one i looked at was 458kb, ideally try and get the header images to under 30kb each. if you want help you can send me the images and tell me which part you want saved i will do it for you as it doesn't take long to do. Also you might want to change the background text so its visible, once again you can go into the suffusion theme options and under Header Customization just change the blog title/header colour.

miserygoat

Post by miserygoat » 04 Jun 2010, 13:38

Thanks for your help but we figured out I was including too much of the url in the header folder path input box. It works now.

I'm experimenting with using the display excerpt option for my posts so fewer images load. I also like only displaying one post per page which I may end up using as well.

Cheers.
Mark.

Connie

Post by Connie » 05 Jun 2010, 07:05

Mark,

one reason why you do not experience that slow loading of the page is because you have the images in the browser cache already.
Others have not.

Using exerpts and miniature images for the execrpt will help a lot and will keep the experience of your wonderful photos as well

Cheers, Connie

tmsrDD

Re: header image-can't get to work

Post by tmsrDD » 16 Jun 2010, 03:48

New to Suffusion; sorta new to WordPress; not new to web or rotating images in general. Trying to implement rotating header images on this developing site:
http://dev.arizonamountaininn.com/

I have made a folder named headerImages directly under wp-content via FTP.

At the moment, the 5 images are 1000 x 300 (each about 60-65K).

I tried to set the Header Customization =>> Folder for Rotating Header Image background the way you post in this forum by just putting in headerImages, and then anything close to it (like headerImages/ ), but nothing works.

I did set the Custom Styles option at the begining of the Header Customization. Are there any other settings I need to choose to get this to work?

In desperation, I went into Sizes and Margins and made the header area overly large to accommodate the image size. May reduce this height if I can get this to work.

I am on deadline to show this today so I would greatly appreciate a prompt response. I must be missing something small, since the template's options have been very straightforward otherwise.

THANK YOU in advance,
tmsr