Front Page and Category Listing Request

Requests for new features. You cannot post to this forum because new feature requests are not accepted any more.
Forum rules
New feature requests are no longer accepted, so you cannot post to this forum any more.
Dark_Fox28

Front Page and Category Listing Request

Post by Dark_Fox28 » 26 Nov 2009, 08:48

Hi

This is an excellent theme which i have enjoyed tinkering with. My site is http://www.darkrealmfox.com/film_reviews/

I like to have just one full post on the front page with a featured content above it. This works well for me.

This does mean when a category or archive is clicked only one post shows up. I have archives and categories set to show only an excerpt of the post and i would like to be able to show 5 posts in excerpt form on categories and archive listings while retaining 1 full post for the front page.

Is it possible to do this for a future release ?

One minor thing. Is it possible to work on the javascript code for the featured content and get the file size down and reduce the queries a little more. I have Super_Cache installed but i note my page does 120 queries.

Thanks for a fantastic theme and have a great day.

sayontan
Site Admin

Re: Front Page and Category Listing Request

Post by sayontan » 26 Nov 2009, 10:33

Hi,
Instead of a "post" on one page will you be okay with a "page"? This is a lot easier to implement for me (and it is in my plan). You could basically take a template that I will provide with featured posts at the top, then add your content to it.

Regarding your second query, the JS itself does no querying, but the PHP does. I will look at optimizing it.

Sayontan.

balaenidae

Post by balaenidae » 26 Nov 2009, 15:09

I second this, having 2 posts on my front page it would be nice if when viewing the categories more than 2 would show up.

Is there no way to set the maximum for the front page in the theme options and have the "Blog pages show at most (x) posts" (in the reading options of wordpress) affect everything else? Just a thought.

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 26 Nov 2009, 16:26

I am unlikely to deliver this. You will probably be better off looking for plugins to do this. "Posts per page" is a pretty generic topic (not theme-specific) and I am sure there are several plugins to help you attain the results you wish.

balaenidae

Post by balaenidae » 26 Nov 2009, 16:33

OK thanks for the info.

balaenidae

Post by balaenidae » 26 Nov 2009, 17:50

For anyone with the same problem the Custom Post Limits plug-in works a treat.

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 26 Nov 2009, 19:22

Thanks for the info!

Dark_Fox28

Post by Dark_Fox28 » 27 Nov 2009, 16:07

The Custom Post Limits add on does exactly what i wanted. Thats perfect as now as i can control the posts separately.

I didn't realise such a plugin existed and i am now a very happy bunny.

I look forward to further revisions of this theme and thank you for your quick replies.

Dark_Fox28

Post by Dark_Fox28 » 28 Nov 2009, 12:33

Incidentally i just checked my site here. http://www.websiteoptimization.com/serv ... index.html

I am getting an http error 403 on the site title. I use Greg's High Performance SEO plugin and have added a change in the title section so that wordpress actually has more content regarding what my site is in the browser head and i also removed the wordpress version title section since i read it can present a security risk as it tells people what version of wordpress you are using.

Perhaps i should direct this to the owner of the above plugin but i wonder if you have any advice for getting the 403 error message to vanish.

Can everyone on the internet see my site except the above website optimization service ? I checked out ismyblogworking and it sees the site so i assume it's the title which is causing headaches for the website optimization service.

Title: HTTP Error 403
Date: Report run on Sat Nov 28 14:25:20EST2009

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 28 Nov 2009, 14:28

I can see your site alright. Maybe you should try using another SEO plugin? Try All-in-One SEO.