Thanks and feature tip

Requests for new features. You cannot post to this forum because new feature requests are not accepted any more.
Forum rules
New feature requests are no longer accepted, so you cannot post to this forum any more.
JesperWe

Thanks and feature tip

Post by JesperWe » 30 Jun 2010, 10:32

I have been running Wordpress on many site for years, but this time around when I was redesigning my own site I discovered your theme.

Great Stuff!! Thx.

What I found missing in order to accomplish my desired site structure was a template that was a crossbreed of "Page of Posts" and "1 Left 1 Right Sidebar". I wanted a home page on the site with some full and some excerpt posts, and 2 sidebars. The rest of the site should have only 1 sidebar.

So in the end I activated 1 sidebar for the site in the settings, and copied most of the code from posts.php to 1l1r-sidebar.php, and used that as the template for a static home page in the WP settings.
Since you are selecting actions based on what file name is used this worked fine.

Next thing that annoyed me is I wanted to use the "Below Header" sidebar on the home page, but not on the other pages. I haven't found a way to accomplish this yet.

So I guess the request or tip or whatever you want to call it is to allow "Page of Posts" to have a different set of sidebars activated than the rest of the site. That way you get a very easy to configure CMS type feature with the front page layout different from underlying pages.

/j

sayontan
Site Admin

Re: Thanks and feature tip

Post by sayontan » 30 Jun 2010, 10:35

You can use the Widget Logic plugin for this.

JesperWe

Post by JesperWe » 30 Jun 2010, 10:54

Mmm yeah, that removes the widget. But it doesn't remove the (now empty) sidebar.

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 30 Jun 2010, 14:42

:? :?
Not sure what you mean. The widget area below header does disappear when there are no widgets in it. That is the way it has been since version 3.3.1 in early February. At this point I cannot help further without your URL.

JesperWe

Post by JesperWe » 30 Jun 2010, 21:02

Actually it doesn't on my site, which is at http://journeyman.se.

It runs WP3.0 and your theme, the only code modification is the above mentioned change to 1l1r-sidebar.php.

In WP Settings>Reading this modified template is used for the front page. The posts page uses the default template.

My applicable Suffusion settings are: 1 Sidebar to the right. Area Below Header enabled, 1 column, flattened.

I have a small custom css file that modifies some fonts and margins at http://journeyman.se/suffusion-overlay.css

Thanks for your really quick responses by the way!

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 30 Jun 2010, 23:20

I looked at your site. You have a widget in the "Widget Area Below Header" even on your front page, which is why the widget area is there. Am I missing something?

JesperWe

Post by JesperWe » 30 Jun 2010, 23:39

Sorry I did not explain that well. The hole point is that on the front page the widget should be there, but on all other pages it should not.

So the front page is correct.

All other pages have no widget, but the widget area is still there.

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 30 Jun 2010, 23:48

What happens if you remove the widget from the sidebar (instead of using Widget Logic)? Does the widget area still remain?

JesperWe

Post by JesperWe » 30 Jun 2010, 23:56

No it goes away like it should.

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 01 Jul 2010, 00:02

Interesting. I guess something is not working correctly between the Widget Logic plugin and WP 3.0. But here is what you can do. Create the following custom styles:

Code: Select all

#horizontal-outer-widgets-1 {
    display: none;
}
body.home #horizontal-outer-widgets-1 {
    display: inline-block;
}