Top 6 Feature Request for Suffusion for WordPress

Requests for new features. You cannot post to this forum because new feature requests are not accepted any more.
Forum rules
New feature requests are no longer accepted, so you cannot post to this forum any more.
christian15213

Top 6 Feature Request for Suffusion for WordPress

Post by christian15213 » 18 Jul 2010, 16:18

First, Again, I want to say WOW! Thank you for such a great piece of work that is on the wordpress community.

I would like to put my top 3 or 5 suggestions and let other either tell me, DUH you can already do that and teach me how, or perhaps you might find it of value to add the feature in the future.

1. Header customization:
a. It would be great to have better control on where a logo / custom icon / add banner is placed in the header area. Currently if you change the foreground image area you have to click over to customizable sizes tab and then choose to add more px's than the default 55 to proper place the image.
ai. I would suggest the header should have two areas of customization that can ultimately put images and other content to anywhere in the header (this would be instead of calling it foreground and background (although I understand why you have it set up that way). For example. Lets say I want to have a custom logo on the left, a banner for AdSense or something else in the middle and a follow me on twitter, FB, etc on the right side of the header.
For this to happen I am not thinking of my objects as background image and foreground image. Don't get me wrong, if I want a background color i.e. blue or a background image that is just a web background repeating image the background functionality is great and should be kept but to add the other parts of my header I would need further options to do this. So more options and links to the objects and further customization would be great.

2. Images for the menu/page tabs instead of a gradient .
a. As an idea it would be nice to give a png file and a hover png file to replace the standard tab settings. This would allow people to really get the customization to their sites their looking for. I would love to hep and make a few of these png files if given the specifications
2b. Or at least a rounding for the menu/page tabs

3. Images for the widgets tabs/menus that are on widgets
Again, a main image and a hover image would be awesome to upload and use.
3b. Or at least rounding of the gradient for the widget tabs.

4. An upload folder for all images that are requested.
I guess it is not a big deal to use a path but a place to upload images would be a nice feature.
4a. Again, as an idea, don't know if it can be done, when asking for the image i.e. header logo1 image there would be an upload your file feature that would upload to a folder on your sites root and the image would be pointed to that location. Keeping it organized and easy to access.

5. An entrance page,
almost like a "gallery theme" or a 404 page but instead of getting the page error this would be the "home" page when people come to your site. Could give your logo and incoming message to enter your blog. Would be like opening a book. Just an idea.

6. The faded out / blurred effect for portions of post's as seen on MSNBC's blog's and wordpress's home page.
6a. This would be truly amazing and I don't even know how to begin to do this but if you could add the blur effect (honestly I don't know what it is called truly) so that when the majority of the post is hidden and a person can see it faded/blurred away and a "click here" to see the remainder of the post. That would be some serious 6 star rating for your theme. and or is this already a plugin that someone knows about?

Please let me know what everyone thinks and if any of my suggestion can be done now. :mrgreen:
Last edited by christian15213 on 19 Jul 2010, 13:38, edited 2 times in total.

Faolan

Re: Top 5 Feature Request for Suffusion for WordPress

Post by Faolan » 18 Jul 2010, 22:58

Point 5 can be done already, just create a static page. However landing pages are a useless exercise on several levels:

Another barrier to your users visiting the site.
Most people visiting the site won't see it if they are linked from a search engine.
It's a dated concept from the days of Flash design where a user was asked to choose.
It may rank you down on SEO, landing pages was used by Spammers as hidden link farms.

christian15213

Post by christian15213 » 19 Jul 2010, 02:47

Faolan wrote:Point 5 can be done already, just create a static page. However landing pages are a useless exercise on several levels:

Another barrier to your users visiting the site.
Most people visiting the site won't see it if they are linked from a search engine.
It's a dated concept from the days of Flash design where a user was asked to choose.
It may rank you down on SEO, landing pages was used by Spammers as hidden link farms.
HMMM

I see what you are saying, however, there is a cool plugin called custom login page which I think would do what I am asking.
As a question, if I did set up the "custom login page" would that go against SEO landing pages rank?

To the aside, WHERE THE HECK DID MY LOGIN PAGE GO. i installed a couple plugins and i can't get my original wordpress login page to come up any more.

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 19 Jul 2010, 04:39

You can do #2, #3 and #4 yourself using custom CSS or the native media library upload feature of WP. I know it feels nice to have a UI for everything and #2 and #3 are on my list for configurations - it is just that they are extremely low priority in the face of all the other stuff I have to do.

As for #1 that is something we would call "bloat the customizability to death". I submitted the next release that will let you put a widget area in the header, but that is about it. I have no plans to let you create something akin to an image map in the header. You are welcome to make use of the theme hooks and child themes for it.

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 19 Jul 2010, 04:41

To the aside, WHERE THE HECK DID MY LOGIN PAGE GO. i installed a couple plugins and i can't get my original wordpress login page to come up any more.
Wrong place to ask. Shouldn't you ask the plugin authors?

christian15213

Post by christian15213 » 19 Jul 2010, 13:04

sayontan wrote:
Wrong place to ask. Shouldn't you ask the plugin authors?
Yea, I am such a noob on this thing I just can't find where the option to have that is originally anyhow.

Meaning, when I go to the page of my blog I can't log in anywhere. I was wondering is that a setting in suffusion or a general setting that I am not finding? I know it is my noobness. I had installed the Ajax login widget and didn't like it didn't take me back to the dashboard and I had the sidebar login widget and didn't like when I choose "YES" for show avatar it didn't coinside with the bulletes that are automatically installed for widgets. <<--- is there anyway to change that?

Again, I am just navigating around here.

As for asking for #1 on the customization of the header perhaps I am asking for way to much but in concept I feel at the very least an additional portion to add a logo where you want it and or a banner with link capabilities that you can customize would be amazing! Which since your theme is already amazing this amazingness would put you in the cloud 9 of amazingness. lol I appreciate your help NTL

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 19 Jul 2010, 13:07

Meaning, when I go to the page of my blog I can't log in anywhere. I was wondering is that a setting in suffusion or a general setting that I am not finding? I know it is my noobness. I had installed the Ajax login widget and didn't like it didn't take me back to the dashboard and I had the sidebar login widget and didn't like when I choose "YES" for show avatar it didn't coinside with the bulletes that are automatically installed for widgets. <<--- is there anyway to change that?
Again, anything specific to a third-party widget or plugin should be addressed to the widget or plugin author, not to the theme users here.

If you simply want to access your login from your blog you can use the inbuilt Meta widget, or you can append "wp-admin" to your blog address.

christian15213

Post by christian15213 » 19 Jul 2010, 13:16

sayontan wrote:
Again, anything specific to a third-party widget or plugin should be addressed to the widget or plugin author, not to the theme users here.

If you simply want to access your login from your blog you can use the inbuilt Meta widget, or you can append "wp-admin" to your blog address.
Thanks, that helps for now.

While your here I wanted to ask how if possible to change the font style for the comments. I am not finding it no matter how hard I look.

christian15213

Re: Top 6 Feature Request for Suffusion for WordPress

Post by christian15213 » 19 Jul 2010, 13:39

Changed post to top 6... See sixth feature request. Me thinks awesome

sayontan
Site Admin

Re: Top 6 Feature Request for Suffusion for WordPress

Post by sayontan » 19 Jul 2010, 13:55

Unfortunately I have no clue what you are referring to in #6. Care to share a snapshot?