Two ideas, should be pretty simple

Requests for new features. You cannot post to this forum because new feature requests are not accepted any more.
Forum rules
New feature requests are no longer accepted, so you cannot post to this forum any more.
orpheus42

Two ideas, should be pretty simple

Post by orpheus42 » 19 Jul 2010, 21:20

First, when I installed the Buddypress pack you included, it didn't have the login form/profile link that's in the BP default template, so I copied the code from it into the sidebar page template I'm using (two right-side sidebars). That might be a good thing to add for BP compatibility, though it would pretty much require doing the BP pack as a child theme (which is how you recommend anyway, so no biggie there).

Second, it would be awesome if the category blocks on the magazine page could be arranged in different ways, such as by slug (which is how I have them in the header navbar via the Widgets Reloaded plugin).

Love the theme, looking forward to seeing something that's already great get even better. In my spare time I'm working on a wigitized version of the magazine page for my child theme, that's been kinda fun actually.

Peace,
Jason

sayontan
Site Admin

Re: Two ideas, should be pretty simple

Post by sayontan » 19 Jul 2010, 22:11

Not sure what you mean by your first point - on both Suffusion's BP pack and the BP default theme I get taken to the WP login page if I click Login.

Your second request is doable, but I don't intend to do that for the magazine layout. Instead there is a long-standing task on my to-do list to give more flexible layout option, but that is way more complicated and hence it has been languishing behind.

orpheus42

Post by orpheus42 » 19 Jul 2010, 22:42

On the BP default theme's sidebar there's a login form just above the widget area. If you're logged in it shows your avatar with a link to your profile with a logout button. I didn't see anything like that on the Suffusion BP pack. This is the code straight out of the BP default theme:

Code: Select all

<?php do_action( 'bp_inside_before_sidebar' ) ?>

<?php if ( is_user_logged_in() ) : ?>

<?php do_action( 'bp_before_sidebar_me' ) ?>

<div id="sidebar-me">
			<a href="<?php echo bp_loggedin_user_domain() ?>">
				<?php bp_loggedin_user_avatar( 'type=thumb&width=40&height=40' ) ?>
			</a>

<h4><?php bp_loggedinuser_link() ?></h4>
			<a class="button logout" href="<?php echo wp_logout_url( bp_get_root_domain() ) ?>"><?php _e( 'Log Out', 'buddypress' ) ?></a>

<?php do_action( 'bp_sidebar_me' ) ?>
		</div>

<?php do_action( 'bp_after_sidebar_me' ) ?>

<?php if ( function_exists( 'bp_message_get_notices' ) ) : ?>
			<?php bp_message_get_notices(); /* Site wide notices to all users */ ?>
		<?php endif; ?>

<?php else : ?>

<?php do_action( 'bp_before_sidebar_login_form' ) ?>

<p id="login-text">
			<?php _e( 'To start connecting please log in first.', 'buddypress' ) ?>
			<?php if ( bp_get_signup_allowed() ) : ?>
				<?php printf( __( ' You can also <a href="%s" title="Create an account">create an account</a>.', 'buddypress' ), site_url( BP_REGISTER_SLUG . '/' ) ) ?>
			<?php endif; ?>
		</p>

<form name="login-form" id="sidebar-login-form" class="standard-form" action="<?php echo site_url( 'wp-login.php', 'login_post' ) ?>" method="post">
			<label><?php _e( 'Username', 'buddypress' ) ?><br />
			<input type="text" name="log" id="sidebar-user-login" class="input" value="<?php echo attribute_escape(stripslashes($user_login)); ?>" /></label>

<label><?php _e( 'Password', 'buddypress' ) ?><br />
			<input type="password" name="pwd" id="sidebar-user-pass" class="input" value="" /></label>

<p class="forgetmenot"><label><input name="rememberme" type="checkbox" id="sidebar-rememberme" value="forever" /> <?php _e( 'Remember Me', 'buddypress' ) ?></label></p>

<?php do_action( 'bp_sidebar_login_form' ) ?>
			<input type="submit" name="wp-submit" id="sidebar-wp-submit" value="<?php _e('Log In'); ?>" tabindex="100" />
			<input type="hidden" name="testcookie" value="1" />
		</form>

<?php do_action( 'bp_after_sidebar_login_form' ) ?>

<?php endif; ?>
It isn't something that's terribly necessary, I suppose, I just found it a helpful part of the default theme and thought I'd float it your way. I didn't see anything like it in the Suffusion BP template pack.

orpheus42

Post by orpheus42 » 19 Jul 2010, 23:10

Disregard above post. I think it's the web design equivalent of when I write a paper at 2 am and it looks great to me, but then I go to edit it the next day and there are whole paragraphs that make absolutely no sense.

Your idea sounds good, and I'll look forward to it whenever you are able to put it into practice. Until then, what's there works well enough.