Start sidebars collpapsed?

Requests for new features. You cannot post to this forum because new feature requests are not accepted any more.
Forum rules
New feature requests are no longer accepted, so you cannot post to this forum any more.
patmccarthy68

Start sidebars collpapsed?

Post by patmccarthy68 » 08 Jan 2010, 12:03

Hi Sayontan. Great theme.
One question I haven't seen asked: Is there a way to have the collapsable/expandable sidebar widgets START collapsed by default for new visitors? Thanks in advance.

Patrick

sayontan
Site Admin

Re: Start sidebars collpapsed?

Post by sayontan » 08 Jan 2010, 15:01

In the file actions.php you will see a function called suffusion_include_dbx. There is one line of JS code there that says:

Code: Select all

'open', 		// default state ['open'|'closed']
Change it to:

Code: Select all

'closed', 		// default state ['open'|'closed']

patmccarthy68

Post by patmccarthy68 » 08 Jan 2010, 23:57

thanks sayontan! you're the best. when i get paid for my current project, i'm buyin you some coffee. Bank on it.

Patrick

Jeroen

Post by Jeroen » 08 Feb 2010, 07:42

Dear Sayontan,

Absolutely fantastic theme, I started working with it only recently and I think it´s the best. One question; in response to the threat ´start sidebars collapsed´; is it possible to start with the page navigation itself collapsed to show only the top level pages? I am using the left sidebar for page navigation, and with several pages and more subpages, up to 3 hierarchical levels deep, it becomes a long list of pages if they are not collapsed. check www.nobleman.nl.

Thanks in advance,

Jeroen

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 08 Feb 2010, 09:15

Jeroen,
Your question is different from the one on this thread.
What you need is a plugin that will help you collapse the pages. A Google Search showed me this one: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/collapsing-pages/

Sayontan.

Jeroen

Post by Jeroen » 08 Feb 2010, 10:14

Dear Sayontan,

Thanks for the quick reply. I already had a hunch that I was asking something else, sorry for that. I tried the plugin you mentioned, and it does not really work, it freezes all the collapsing/expanding, so I restored the page navigation from your theme. Anyway, I know where to look for a solution, so probalbly I will be installing a couple of other relevant page navigation plugins. Meanwhile, if you know of any collapsing page navigation plugins that are working fine, please keep me on cc....

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Jeroen

patmccarthy68

Post by patmccarthy68 » 13 Mar 2010, 11:50

Sayontan,

a quick follow-up to the first question: is it possible to set each sidebar box as either open or closed by default, when a first-time visitor arrives? If it is possible, maybe down the road you could make it an option inside the widget settings area? I can picture it right under my widget logic settings. That'd be sweet!

As always, thanks a million for the spectacular theme and help.

Patrick

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 13 Mar 2010, 13:59

Pat,
That is incredibly hard to implement without a plugin. This kind of functionality requires changing the table structures of WP, which the WP approvers do not allow to do in a theme. Any other approach is extremely cumbersome and way beyond what I can support.

Sayontan.

patmccarthy68

Post by patmccarthy68 » 14 Mar 2010, 13:06

OK thanks for the reply. If I may pick your brain a bit: Am I right in thinking that the opened/closed state of each box is set and saved via cookies? If that is the case, could you 'pre-set' each box to open/closed that way? Excuse me if this is a dumb question. My grasp of cookies is crumbly at best. :-)

Patrick

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 14 Mar 2010, 16:56

Pat,
Please take my word and drop this. As I mentioned in my previous post, this is impossible without a plugin. Even if I were to use cookies for this I would have to store the cookie information somewhere. Where? You would need to have the widget-specific information somewhere to build your cookie.

Sayontan.