Suffusion chosen for new cruising site

Requests for new features. You cannot post to this forum because new feature requests are not accepted any more.
Forum rules
New feature requests are no longer accepted, so you cannot post to this forum any more.
rodeime

Suffusion chosen for new cruising site

Post by rodeime » 23 Jan 2010, 21:19

Hi, I liked your theme and have chosen it for my new cruising site www.adventurecruiseguide.com

I would like to get a quote from you to do some quick tidy-ups

Please e-mail me privately

Thanks

Rod

Connie

Re: Suffusion chosen for new cruising site

Post by Connie » 24 Jan 2010, 01:11

Rod,

this is not the idea of a forum: you ask everybody for help, advice and suggestions but you want these reactions privately.

Sorry, If you want support, you must stand the answers in public. So that others can benefit from that as well.

If you want it privately, you can ask for commercial help.

By the way: there is nothing special with your site, except that I would not write "feature articles", I would call it "featured articles"

Be adventourous! Accept public critics and suggestions :lol:

latestar

Post by latestar » 24 Jan 2010, 21:31

I think what Rod wants (and Rod please correct me if I'm wrong) is for someone to message him, telling him a "quote"--a price of how much it will cost-- to help him finish the design of his site. So, I understand his coming on to this forum to ask if anyone would be willing to submit their "estimates" "quotes" to him privately, as no business person would, in any logical world, post a quote for everyone to see.

I am actually looking for the same thing Rod. If someone contacts you privately, gives you a good price, and you are happy with their work, please tell them to contact me as well. I need someone to design my site with Suffusion. I had a friend doing it, but she's having a hard time, and I have a deadline.

Connie, I know it can be frustrating seeing different users post the same questions day in and day out, but you really should try to be nicer and more tactful in your words. Rod, came to this post seeking help from people, and he's already frustrated as it is--web design gives me a huge headache as well since I am a beginner. It does not help that frustration when you must come back to your post hoping to find the answer to your problem, but instead see someone putting you down.

If I am not mistaken, messaging is allowed on this forum. You can click on the person's name and send them a private message if they have that enabled. So, if messaging is a feature of this site, I see no problem in coming to the forums and asking people to use said feature to help with one's problem.

Rod, I will do vice versa. If I find a designer first, and I am happy with him or her, I would be glad to refer him or her back to this post so that he or she can send you a private message.

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 25 Jan 2010, 10:11

Latestar, Connie, Rod,
Thanks for clarifying the point about the "quote". That being said, I have to insist that soliciting paid services publicly on this forum is off limits. You can directly PM someone if you want a quote, but no public requests, please. I have a very simple reason for this - avoidance of cruft. It is difficult coming to grips with the volume of requests and there are 2 volunteers apart from me who help out (Connie and Scott). If the forum starts getting flooded with requests for quotes, the query volume will become unmanageable. People will start offering their services here and mayhem will ensue.

Let me tell you from experience - I have received more than a few PM messages offering money for help, but it is something I cannot take on.

This forum is intended to be a support portal for Suffusion. For paid services please post on places like elance etc. I will update the forum posting rules to reflect this. Sorry if you don't like this, but since it is a forum I run, I get to have some say in the rules, right? :)

Sayontan.

latestar

Post by latestar » 25 Jan 2010, 10:38

Thank you for clarifying and being respectful/tactful in your response.

You most definitely have a say!

With that said, I have found it extremely hard to find anyone besides you who works with Suffusion as a web designer. I am sure there are a lot of professionals out there who do. Can you create a directory page of recommended Suffusion web designers? That way people like me who need some tweaking and whatnot can have a place to go to look for someone to take on our project.

Like you said, you only have Connie, Scott and yourself. So maybe it would be a good idea to have a directory of other professionals to direct people to when you guys can not take on projects or answer our questions quick enough due to other obligations.

Thank you for your constant and consistent help,
latestar

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 25 Jan 2010, 11:00

From what I know there isn't any such thing as a "Suffusion web designer" and I have no idea who makes it a profession to build sites with this. Given that it has touched almost 50,000 downloads on WordPress at the time of writing this, I guess you will find people out there who do this, but I have no idea who they are. Connie and Scott just maintain their own sites (as do I) and help out with queries here.

I am not sure how familiar you are with the other WP themes, but each has its own focus. The way Suffusion is designed, the only technology you need to know is grassroots CSS, that too if you absolutely hate the way something looks or are really nit-picky. What I have done with the theme is to take one feature and offer all kinds of customizations possible on it, then I have chosen a new feature and repeated the same with it. To give you an example, take a look at the static "Featured Content" or the Featured Content widget, which are really hyper-flexible in what you can do with them. That way Suffusion is meant to be a beginners' theme. There is a caveat, though. You have to put in a little bit of effort to learn at least the terminology. E.g. you cannot use "featured content" without knowing what it is meant for. At a more basic level you have to know what a "navigation bar" is, or what sidebars are, or what widgets are. If people start posting questions regarding the basic concepts, obviously the volunteers will feel nettled.

latestar

Post by latestar » 25 Jan 2010, 11:08

Well, thank you so much for your timely response. I am toying with learning it myself. However, I will surely lose a great deal of my audience if I do not meet my deadline, so I am kind of sad about that. :cry: :D

Connie

Post by Connie » 25 Jan 2010, 12:23

latestar, just do a search in Google for "freelancer, WP, design" and you will find thousands of hungry and efficient helpers

so do not loose courage, be adventurous and you will keep your dateline.

laceygriffen

Post by laceygriffen » 21 Apr 2010, 00:16

Suffusion is an elegant browser-safe theme with a power-packed set of options a multi-featured theme with several customizable options.The cruising site you selected for your new cruising site is quite attractive i like this theme a lot also it’s very clean and elegant.

squirrel

Post by squirrel » 04 May 2010, 15:24

Thank you to the people who have designed this theme and give their support daily
I am a novice; this is my first word press website

http://rescueremediesdogs.co.uk/

All I have learnt is from this forum and I envy the skills of the designers
I have a thirst for Suffusion and no way do I want professional help as I am addicted to reading Sayontan and Connies replies.
The forum is an excellent tutor and I look forward to breathing in the Suffusion air!!

It’s addictive!!

ps I might need counselling soon :lol: