Conditional Navigation? Or multiple blog installs

Requests for new features. You cannot post to this forum because new feature requests are not accepted any more.
Forum rules
New feature requests are no longer accepted, so you cannot post to this forum any more.
peter.lurie

Conditional Navigation? Or multiple blog installs

Post by peter.lurie » 10 Feb 2010, 05:53

Hi!

On one CMS-install for a series of 3 courses being offered, I am working mostly with pages (and one category/posts).

There are 3 main pages, each of which has multiple sub-pages.

The sub-pages are all named similarly, as they reflect course details.
for example:

Course A
  • A:Times
    A:Location
    A:Prices
Similarly for Course B & C.

There are also some Categories for each Course: eg. A:Calendar

What I would like to display in the Nav Bar would be this:

When I select Course A from a Drop down, to then only see the following page & category tabs:
Course A | A:Times | A:Location | A:Prices | A:Calendar(Categ)

I realize this is really complex. I fear that if this isn't possible, I'll need to set up 3 separate blog installs, probably with subdomains.

I am hoping I am being dumb, and that an easy solution is staring me in the face.

Many thanks, Peter

Connie

Re: Conditional Navigation? Or multiple blog installs

Post by Connie » 10 Feb 2010, 08:22

Peter,
I am hoping I am being dumb
I don't see a quick solution ... :cry:

scottb

Re: Conditional Navigation? Or multiple blog installs

Post by scottb » 10 Feb 2010, 09:19

If I am understanding your setup correctly, I would suggest that you only use pages in your Nav Bar. When you want to display a category in the drop-down menu, create a page that redirects to the category. I am currently using the "Quick Page/Post Redirect" plugin to perform the redirects, but "Page Links To" works well also. With Quick Page/Post Redirect, the redirect option displays just beneath the page edit area, which makes it more easily accessible.

So what you are doing is, where you want your calendar (which is a category) to show up in the Nav Bar drop-down, with what otherwise are pages, you create a page that will be placed in the Nav Bar where you want the category to display, and you have that page redirect to the category URL. So when that page drop-down link is clicked, it is taken directly to the category.

The title of the page would be the title of the category, but the content of the page is irrelevant as it will never be seen, its only purpose is to display in the Nav Bar, and redirect to the category.