Please Don't Update Daily!

Requests for new features. You cannot post to this forum because new feature requests are not accepted any more.
Forum rules
New feature requests are no longer accepted, so you cannot post to this forum any more.
technonow

Please Don't Update Daily!

Post by technonow » 26 Feb 2010, 09:31

Hi,

I like Suffusion.

I like it so much that I'm using it on ten separate websites.

I like it just as it is. It can't be improved. It's just what I want.

Unfortunately, you're making me so busy that I may have to use another theme!

That's because you are updating your theme almost every day. I know it doesn't take long to update, but with ten sites it all adds up, and it's almost a daily event. I don't need any additional items adding to the theme, but I have to update in case the update is to plug some security issue. With ten sites I can't afford to take the chance.

How about stopping updating Suffusion, and only updating it if there is a security issue?

If you want to keep developing it, why not call tomorrow's Suffusion 'Suffusion Plus' and leave 'Suffusion Original' alone unless there is a security rather than a cosmetic issue.

I don't want to leave off using Suffusion, but daily updates take time that I can't afford.

P.S. I'll keep using Suffusion for another week (another seven upgrades I suppose) to see what reply there is to this, but if upgrades continue at the same rate after that, I will regretably have to try a different theme.

Well done by the way. If this is your first theme, it's excellent. It's because it's so excellent I'm so peeved at possibly having to leave it, but I just haven't got the time to update the theme every day!

sayontan
Site Admin

Re: Please Don't Update Daily!

Post by sayontan » 26 Feb 2010, 11:00

Well, I really don't know how to answer, but let me try.

1. You are not obligated to do an upgrade. Everytime there is a new release I post the changes for that release on the announcements page. You can take a look and decide if you want that feature or not and only then decide to upgrade. I am not holding you at gunpoint or holding your site to ransom if you don't upgrade.

2. There are tons of feature requests in the queue, a lot of things that need to be fixed / patched, a lot of improvements to be made by general consensus and quite a few things that I as a theme developer want to add. Weird though it may sound, the last category is what gets the least attention. Here are some samples in the other categories - a lot of users want to use WPML with the theme, but full compatibility with WPML is not there. Users want to use this with WPMU and BuddyPress, and again, there are gaps in that bridge (though the only gap I am aware of is TimThumb integration). Users want more widget areas. The general list is simply too large to put down here. As far as I can remember security patches have almost never been required, so without the so-called cosmetic changes the theme wouldn't be as feature-rich as it is and you wouldn't be using it.

3. Splitting the theme into two is not an option, because WP doesn't accept two themes from the same author with the same layout. I did try to submit it initially as two themes, but the WP reviewer rejected it. Two different themes also puts an incredible load on me as a developer.

A lot of these don't apply to you and might never apply to you, but almost all have been added or have to be added due to requests from different people.
P.S. I'll keep using Suffusion for another week (another seven upgrades I suppose) to see what reply there is to this, but if upgrades continue at the same rate after that, I will regretably have to try a different theme.
I have stressed time and again - this theme is a part time hobby for me. I work on it when I get time and when I am fit. As it happened I had some free time for a couple of weeks about a month back. That is when you saw a spate of releases from me, almost one each day. But during the last 2 weeks there have been only 2 releases (one more might happen today). I don't expect you to believe me, but here is the technical change log for the last few releases (the informal log on the site is more informative). The dates are dates of submission to WP, not the actual date of release, which in some cases might have been a few days after submission:
Version 3.3.6 - 19th Feb 2010
=============================
1. Added a "sliding panel" capability to Top Bar Right Widgets.
2. Added some "option grouping" in the administration screens
2. Fixed a bug that was hiding the top navigation bar if the header was not "open".
3. Fixed a bug in the Royal Blue theme where visited links upon hover were not getting the blue background.

Version 3.3.5 - 17th Feb 2010
1. Fixed an issue that was causing the Single Left Sidebar template and Single Right Sidebar template to misbehave when the blog had 2 sidebars
2. Custom image size was not working for the featured posts widget. This has been fixed.
3. New options for full-width header
4. New options for full-width main navigation bar

Version 3.3.4 - 15th Feb 2010
1. AdSense short-code bugs fixed
2. Thumbnail bug fixed for situations where the Post Thumbnail capability is being used.
3. Set the "Continue Reading" link to be in a span instead of a div
4. Changed the Twitter tweet icon from a "bullet" to a comment bubble
5. Fixed a sidebar positioning issue with the Single Left and Single Right sidebar template
6. New Estonian translation, thanks to Viljar Hera

Version 3.3.3 - 12th Feb 2010
1. Added widget area "Left Header Widgets" to left of main navigation bar.
2. Added "language_attributes()" call to header.php.
3. Added auto-resizing capability for images, so that they will not flow over the edges of posts.
4. Solved page "locking" issue in IE7
5. Removed the option "Enable Widget Area on right side of navigation bar". If you choose to hide the default search widget there,
the widget area will automatically disappear.
6. Major bug fix for bug inadvertently introduced in 3.3.1 regarding sidebar templates.

Version 3.3.1 - 11th Feb 2010
1. Added capability to Export / Import theme settings.
2. Added widget areas to left and right of top navigation bar.
3. Changed the structuring of the Search widget, to omit the before_title and after_title tags if title is blank (earlier it was the opposite).
4. Positioning option for drop-down list in the top navigation bar.
5. Added code to not print a widget area if it has no contents.
A few things:
1. A mathematical nit, but I don't see how you get "another seven upgrades I suppose". There were 5 releases in the last 16 days, and never has there been 7 in 7. Might not make much of a difference to you, but one submission in 3 days is quite different from one in one day. And the last submission was about a week back (excluding the submission last night)

2. A lot of these changes were quite big and significant. E.g. exporting / importing theme settings, support for a bunch of new layouts etc. Can't help it if they don't apply to you.

3. Frankly, a statement like "if upgrades continue at the same rate after that, I will regretably have to try a different theme" is tiring and is going to get neither of us anywhere. If anything, you will stand to lose a fair bit from reworking all your 10 sites. I will lose a user, you will probably post on all your 10 blogs about how I stink and I will get the negative publicity. But that will not really stop me from making updates about once / twice a week, though I must say I have been tiring of the development of late. I am not forcing you to upgrade, so why are you trying to force me to not update, particularly since I don't have the luxury of free time?

4. Lastly, I would like to stress my very first point. Why upgrade if you don't need it? I publish a very public change log that is there for everyone to see, so it is not like I am slipping you something without warning. The best examples of not upgrading are the theme's home page (http://www.aquoid.com) and the author's home page (http://mynethome.net/blog). The former is at 3.3.0 (9th February) and the latter is at 3.2.0 (20th January). And there are several people who don't upgrade after reading the change log.

technonow

Post by technonow » 26 Feb 2010, 14:06

OK. Sorry if my post seemed a bit blunt. If i do change themes, I wouldn't be slagging you off. I really like the theme.

Part of my problem was that over the past few weeks I've changed every one of my sites over from Drupal, and that itself was quite a bit of work, and then it appeared that the WP theme I'd chosen was always changing at the same time I was trying to get to grips with everything else. I can see from your change log that the perception was wrong, and that you've also indicated future releases at about one a week. That's not so bad.

I notice that at the top of each theme release you put a header. For example at the top of the 3.3.6 theme release you wrote:
After a week long hiatus version 3.3.6 of Suffusion is out. The following are key aspects of this release
Any chance of future headings being changed to something like:
Version 3.3.6 of Suffusion is out. This IS NOT a security release. The following are key aspects of this release
or
Version 3.3.6 of Suffusion is out. THIS IS A SECURITY RELEASE. The following are key aspects of this release
I'll stick with you in any event as I really do like the theme, but something like the above would be a great help. Hundreds of users are using your theme, and I'm sure the vast majority of them, like me, are extremely please with it as it is, so this would perhaps be a suitable compromise? :)

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 26 Feb 2010, 14:24

Since I have never had any security releases that kind of a message is probably always going to read, "This is NOT a security release". Nonetheless I will see what I can do.

factotum

Post by factotum » 26 Feb 2010, 18:14

small update = excellent

why:
any programmer, even a very good, mistakes in the code. Updates that address minor bugs give stable releases later, instead of one large update with lots of errors
sorry for my English, but I hope the meaning of my message is clear

technonow

Post by technonow » 27 Feb 2010, 01:08

That's clear, your English is quite good.

Seems I may be in a minority!

I'll just go with the flow. :)

DrDan

Post by DrDan » 28 Feb 2010, 10:23

I think it's wonderful to have such an active developer who clearly spends so much time fine-tuning and improving what is already a great theme.

To the developer I say: Keep up the good work!

To the OP I say: Read the release info and then decide if you want to update. Or move to WP Mu or WP 3.0 alpha (this should update the theme across all 10 sites with only one update). Or just relax about the security concerns (can a theme cause security issues?).

Dan.