Replace Featured Content with premium Slider?

General questions pertaining to how certain issues can be resolved. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.

1. No offensive language and no mocking
2. Please do a thorough search before you post something. Trust us, there is a high probability that the question you are asking has been asked previously.
3. No soliciting. You cannot post here soliciting bids for people offer you quotes, or even offer money to people for some work. You will be moderated if you do so. If you are looking for help, please post your request on http://jobs.wordpress.net or http://codepoet.com
4. Please be reasonable. You are getting software and support. For free. Complicated requests from a general purpose theme are not welcome and some volunteers might lose patience with you.
5. Please do your due diligence. If you posted a query and we answered with a link, take the trouble to go through the link contents.
6. Please post with complete information. Requests for help MUST be accompanied with your URL, particularly if you are asking something like "Why am I seeing a blank space?"
OuweAap

Replace Featured Content with premium Slider?

Post by OuweAap » 07 Nov 2012, 04:42

Hi Sayontan et al,

First of all, great theme! My absolute favourite. :D

Only thing I wanted to replace was the default Featured Content Slider. Instead I acquired a premium WordPress plugin called Slider Revolution (http://codecanyon.net/item/slider-revol ... in/2751380).

So I started trying to replace the space where the default Suffusion Featured Content is located with this Slider Revolution plugin. After hours of fiddling, no succes :( I hope you, or any other reader, can help me out because I’m really out of ideas here.

In the “How To Use” section of this premium Slider it says:
From the theme html use: <?php putRevSlider( "alias" ) ?> example: <?php putRevSlider("Slider1") ?>
From the widgets panel drag the "Revolution Slider" widget to the desired sidebar
From the post editor insert the shortcode from the sliders table
Can you advise me on how to elegantly replace the Featured Content Slider with the Premium Slider Revolution plugin? Preferably using the Custom Includes so that the new Slider will stay perfectly intact after a Suffusion update?

Or maybe you have a better/different approach, like using widgets?

Thanks in advance!

André Schild
http://www.techfreak.nl

drake

Re: Replace Featured Content with premium Slider?

Post by drake » 07 Nov 2012, 04:56

From the widgets panel drag the "Revolution Slider" widget to the desired sidebar
Don't use at all the Featured Slider of theme. Put your widget in Widget Area Below Header and you will have your slider on top of all your pages - extended to all wrapper width. If you wish to select the pages where you wish to appear, use a plugin like Widget Logic (Dynamic Widget is easier to use).

If you wish that slider to be only on the top of main column, you can use Custom Layout for your pages, where in the first widget area add also the widget for your slider.

OuweAap

Post by OuweAap » 07 Nov 2012, 05:02

Hi Drake,

Thanks for the quick reply. ;)

Already tried to place the new slider in the Widget Area Below Header. Problem is that it takes up all the horizontal space, so the sidebar (cloud tag on my site) appears below the new slider, not besides it. If you have a solution for this, please let me know :)
If you wish that slider to be only on the top of main column, you can use Custom Layout for your pages, where in the first widget area add also the widget for your slider.
Sounds good, want that! :lol: How do I do that? (sorry bit of a semi-noob here :D ) What do I need to insert into the Custom Includes section for this?

Appreciate the help Drake! :P

drake

Post by drake » 07 Nov 2012, 05:23

Pages -> Add New.
Give a title to your page. From the Page Attributes -> Template dropdown (on the right of edit screen) choose Custom Layout. Publish.

Appearance -> Widgets.
Drag your slider widget in Custom Layout Widget Area 1.
Depending on what you wish on the page drag widgets in the other Custom Layout Areas (by eg. for list posts you can use Query Posts widgets, for static text - simple text widget).

For formatting your template (how many columns you will have in widget areas - for first let the default 1 for your slider) go to Suffusion Options -> Templates -> Custom Layout Template.

OuweAap

Post by OuweAap » 07 Nov 2012, 07:03

Thanks Drake, will give this one a try ;)

So I have to make a complete new Frontpage, just so I can have this Slider? Seems a bit devious (lot of work)?
There is no easier way?

drake

Post by drake » 07 Nov 2012, 08:19

This is the easiest and safest way. For this kind of tasks exist Custom Layout. You will see - is a matter of minutes - it is much more time consuming to explain than to do :)

Editing the theme files is much harder and more risky.

OuweAap

Post by OuweAap » 07 Nov 2012, 08:45

:D :D :D

MilleSabords

Post by MilleSabords » 30 Nov 2012, 09:22

A small question to a "Revolution Slider" user :
Can you tell me if it can take the slides from the "featured image" of posts. I'm looking for a beautiful slider to replace the one included in Suffusion because it dosn't work on tablets/touch screens (can't slide with the fingers), and it must be also responsive.