Home Page

General questions pertaining to how certain issues can be resolved. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.

1. No offensive language and no mocking
2. Please do a thorough search before you post something. Trust us, there is a high probability that the question you are asking has been asked previously.
3. No soliciting. You cannot post here soliciting bids for people offer you quotes, or even offer money to people for some work. You will be moderated if you do so. If you are looking for help, please post your request on http://jobs.wordpress.net or http://codepoet.com
4. Please be reasonable. You are getting software and support. For free. Complicated requests from a general purpose theme are not welcome and some volunteers might lose patience with you.
5. Please do your due diligence. If you posted a query and we answered with a link, take the trouble to go through the link contents.
6. Please post with complete information. Requests for help MUST be accompanied with your URL, particularly if you are asking something like "Why am I seeing a blank space?"
L_Ahrens

Home Page

Post by L_Ahrens » 19 Jun 2010, 11:12

How do i make the home page for this theme show up in my pages?

I have set the nav bar to show a home page tab but I can't figure out how I can access this page to edit it's content. I have tried making a new Home page and going into the Setting>reading then designating my new home page as the static front page but then I still have the original home page and I don't want that?

Kinda confusing question. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Leo

sayontan
Site Admin

Re: Home Page

Post by sayontan » 19 Jun 2010, 13:39

Forum rule #6, please.

Connie

Post by Connie » 19 Jun 2010, 23:09

Leo, don't shout here, even if you think you are desperate ;)

sbolton

Post by sbolton » 23 Jun 2010, 16:09

Hello,
I have the same exact question as Leo, and I'm wondering if someone would take a pass at answering it.

Thank you!

Sarah

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 23 Jun 2010, 16:12

Sarah,
Your question might be the same as Leo's, but like the original it is very vague. Hence I am pretty sure the answer is bound to be very vague. All pages are editable through the Admin menu, under Pages -> Edit. Look for your home page there and edit it.

Sayontan.

christian15213

Post by christian15213 » 19 Jul 2010, 21:34

sayontan wrote:Sarah,
Your question might be the same as Leo's, but like the original it is very vague. Hence I am pretty sure the answer is bound to be very vague. All pages are editable through the Admin menu, under Pages -> Edit. Look for your home page there and edit it.

Sayontan.
Hey Sayontan,

Under Page > Edit there is no option for the "home" / "main" page that comes with the wordpress. As an example in the Blog Features -> Main Navigation Bar Setup there is a section that looks like this:
Show "Home" page? You can show a link to your blog's home page. This could either be an icon or a text link. This setting is ignored if you are hiding your navigation bar.

Don't show a home link (default)Show a text linkShow an icon."Home" page text
If you have opted to show a text link above, you can set the text to show. The default is "Home". This setting is ignored if you are hiding your navigation bar or if you have chosen to not show a home link or to show a home icon.
As you see, it calls for the showing and defining/editing of the "home" page. The problem is when you go to Page -> edit that page is not there to edit or setup i.e. with a template or what not.

Further, when you go to Blog -> Featured Content it too gives refrence for the "Main" page. This is the section here:
Main (default) page
You can enable the Featured Posts slider on your main page. This is also the default page:

EnabledDisabled.Category view
you get to add the feature of the Featured Content but other than this option there is really no way to edit the "main / default / home" page.

I am wondering if this is an error or perhaps it is WP 3.0's error for not showing the edit of that page. I don't know if I ever seen it on any theme I have tried out.

Does this make sense?

Sorry for the long post but I think this is what the other people where trying to say.

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 19 Jul 2010, 21:57

Does this make sense?
Frankly, no.
Under Page > Edit there is no option for the "home" / "main" page that comes with the wordpress.
I never said there would be a home / main page "that comes with the wordpress" (and this is one of the dangers of hijacking others' threads saying "I have the same problem"). Look at the original post here:
I have tried making a new Home page and going into the Setting>reading then designating my new home page as the static front page
That "home" page that the user created is the one I am referring to in the edit menu. If it is a page you have created, you will see it in the Edit Pages list. No exceptions.

If you haven't created a custom page for your home then WP displays your latest posts as your landing page. That qualifies as your home page. If you decide to add the featured content to your "Main (default) page", the landing page with your posts is where the featured content will get attached to. The home menu icon in the navigation bar will point to whatever the home page is - a static page (that you can edit from the Edit Pages screen) or a dynamic page with your posts. From the reading settings you can put in a separate Front Page and a Page of Posts, in which case the Page of Posts is the "home". However if you don't have a Page of Posts your Front Page is the "home".

christian15213

Post by christian15213 » 19 Jul 2010, 22:12

That actually answersa lot. To fix my setup to what I am trying to do is I should create a Home page, setup the template as "magazine" i.e. for what I want. and go to page edit and make it my "home page"? Does that sound right?

sorry for the noobness. If you ever need me to create something for your graphically I would be more than willing. My thing is PS and Illustrator.

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 19 Jul 2010, 22:14

and go to page edit and make it my "home page"?
Actually you would go to Settings -> Reading to make it your home page.

Your PS offer sounds good, because I have PS on my Mac, which I see only during the weekends (plus I suck at graphics as is fairly obvious from the site design).

christian15213

Post by christian15213 » 19 Jul 2010, 22:21

sayontan wrote:

Your PS offer sounds good, because I have PS on my Mac, which I see only during the weekends (plus I suck at graphics as is fairly obvious from the site design).
Let me know, all I need is the px sizes and I am assuming you'll want it to be a .PNG file.

Logo in illustrator is ultra easy nowadays because of live trace for more complex designs.

As a super aside I am working on something a whole lot more serious that would require some serious site design and capability for the next billion dollar invention. If you're interested in that PM me and I will let you know what it's about.