Hidden or Default Featured Image?

General questions pertaining to how certain issues can be resolved. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.

1. No offensive language and no mocking
2. Please do a thorough search before you post something. Trust us, there is a high probability that the question you are asking has been asked previously.
3. No soliciting. You cannot post here soliciting bids for people offer you quotes, or even offer money to people for some work. You will be moderated if you do so. If you are looking for help, please post your request on http://jobs.wordpress.net or http://codepoet.com
4. Please be reasonable. You are getting software and support. For free. Complicated requests from a general purpose theme are not welcome and some volunteers might lose patience with you.
5. Please do your due diligence. If you posted a query and we answered with a link, take the trouble to go through the link contents.
6. Please post with complete information. Requests for help MUST be accompanied with your URL, particularly if you are asking something like "Why am I seeing a blank space?"
bucks

Hidden or Default Featured Image?

Post by bucks » 23 Apr 2013, 15:05

Hi,

I usually have photos in my posts and I set it up so that the first image in the post is the one that I'd like to show up in the summary on the home page, show up on Facebook if I link to it, etc. I do NOT use the featured image option. However, everytime I have a post go live, it's pulling an image unused in the current post (it's always the same image) from the media library and showing that on the home page summary instead. The only way around this has been to go in and manually SET the featured image after the fact. BUT using the featured image screws up the layout of my posts - especially since now I have the same photo showing up twice at the top of the actual post.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going on or where I need to look to find this pointer to that image in the media library? I don't want to delete the image file because it's from a post a while ago.

It's located here http://blog.justpoppin.com

You can see the current effect of me invoking the featured image by clicking on the first and second posts on the home page (most recent). This is a NEW problem as you can see it's only happened in these last 2 posts. So I'm not sure what got tweaked between the 2nd to last and 3rd to last posts. There were no Suffusion updates as far as I know and I don't use any other SEO tools on the site.

And incidentally, these problems do not show up during the preview/draft process - only when I publish live.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this issue.

drake

Re: Hidden or Default Featured Image?

Post by drake » 23 Apr 2013, 23:17

You have a plugin where you settled a "default" image for posts to be used for sharing if no featured image is settled. Suffusion don't have such an option. Suffusion will use only in posts displayed on your website just images from those posts (and have nothing to do with sharing/opengraph metatags and so - all of these are controlled by plugins)

Anyway, you can hide the featured image in full posts by selecting "Don't show any image" at Suffusion Options -> Layouts -> Layout: Excerpt / List / Tile / Mosaic / Full -> Thumbnail Settings -> Show featured images for full content.

bucks

Post by bucks » 24 Apr 2013, 07:45

Hi thanks for replying.

My only plug-ins are Akismet, security, back up, sharing, stats, and printing. So I'm confident it's not stuck in a plug-in.

Thanks for the instx on getting to the "featured images for full content". If I'm not able to find the image anywhere, I may be able to use this feature as a way to fix it - but if I could avoid this across the board choice, I'd like to as I know that in the past, I'd used "featured image" in a number of posts and the fact that they showed up as the first pic in those posts was planned. I'd have to go through my whole blog to find those posts. Ugh.

Any other ideas of where it could be hiding?

Thank you again.

bucks

Post by bucks » 24 Apr 2013, 11:13

So, I'm still confused about what's happening with the images and it seems to come down to the area that Drake directed me to.

I've attached a screen cap of the settings in Suffusion Options.

1. "Image attached to the post" - THIS seems to be what's causing the problem but it doesn't make sense to me. I don't understand the logic of how it's picking. You can see from the screen cap the order the images show up in my media library (these 4 images are associated with the post in question). Additionally, the image it's picking is NOT even in the post. The top 2 images are actually IN the post. So of all images to pick to show in the excerpt, why wouldn't it pick the first one that is actually in the post, rather than work it's way down the list and pick from the bottom? I've already deleted several images in the media library that it was picking before this one and it just kept working its way DOWN - it never picked from the top of the list or from the images actually IN the post, which would make more sense.

2. What is the difference between the "Image specified through custom featured image field" and "Native WP 3.0 featured image"?

Thanks
Attachments
Captureb.JPG
Captureb.JPG (16.1 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (169.23 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (106.22 KiB) Viewed 3173 times

drake

Post by drake » 24 Apr 2013, 12:40

- "Image specified through custom featured image field" is that one specified at Additional Options from Suffusion -> Images, below edit area in edit post screen.
- "Native WP 3.0 featured image"? is that one specified in WordPress featured image section, on the right-bottom of edit post screen.
- "Images attached to the post", are those images included in edit area (in post). But keep in mind that WordPress still remember all images which it was in a post and still remember them, even if you remove those images from post, or even from media library. Why? When you upload an image, WordPress will make copies with dimensions settled for thumbnails/medium/large sizes, and for sizes settled in Suffusion Options (as Suffusion use the same engine). When you delete an image from a post, that image still stay in library... when you delete the image from library, the copy for featured image size will remain on server, associated with initial post... and will be picked...

You will need to use a plugin like Force Regenerate Thumbnails for regenerating thumbnails.

That order from where you made the screenshot is reffering to Featured Images showed in Suffusion Excerpts. Knowing the behavior of image engine in WordPress, Sayontan provided this option and the "Image specified through custom featured image field" for letting users to overwrite the wrong thumbnails generated by WordPress in Suffusion Excerpts...

But I doubt that this option help you too much in case of sharing... the sharing plugin will pick the usual image generated by wordpress... or... as I said in my first post - some of sharing plugins let users to specify a "Default Image" when a post don't have the image generated by wordpress... You have a sharing plugin....

bucks

Post by bucks » 24 Apr 2013, 13:22

Thank you for the tips - that is really helpful. Did not know that about the images being all over the place - that's obviously what's happening.
drake wrote:- But I doubt that this option help you too much in case of sharing... the sharing plugin will pick the usual image generated by wordpress... or... as I said in my first post - some of sharing plugins let users to specify a "Default Image" when a post don't have the image generated by wordpress... You have a sharing plugin....
The sharing thing I mentioned is "addthis" - it's not an auto feed to Facebook or anything like that. And feedburner scans the site for new stuff. That's it.

I think I'll have to get that thumbnail regenerator - never heard of it. And I'm guessing it plays nice with Suffusion? :-)

drake

Post by drake » 24 Apr 2013, 14:07

It is a plugin. In my configurations "play nice" with Suffusion, in yours maybe not. If not, you can disable it and remove it from your server... What you have to loose? You can find the plugin here: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/for ... humbnails/

bucks

Post by bucks » 24 Apr 2013, 14:29

Thank you Drake. I have no customizations on my blog - only Suffusion standard along with those few plugins I mentioned expressly so I can minimize if not avoid entirely problems of things not playing nice together and things breaking during updates.

I really appreciate your help.

Cheers,
Buck