Shadow color

General questions pertaining to how certain issues can be resolved. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.

1. No offensive language and no mocking
2. Please do a thorough search before you post something. Trust us, there is a high probability that the question you are asking has been asked previously.
3. No soliciting. You cannot post here soliciting bids for people offer you quotes, or even offer money to people for some work. You will be moderated if you do so. If you are looking for help, please post your request on http://jobs.wordpress.net or http://codepoet.com
4. Please be reasonable. You are getting software and support. For free. Complicated requests from a general purpose theme are not welcome and some volunteers might lose patience with you.
5. Please do your due diligence. If you posted a query and we answered with a link, take the trouble to go through the link contents.
6. Please post with complete information. Requests for help MUST be accompanied with your URL, particularly if you are asking something like "Why am I seeing a blank space?"
WimScholtes

Shadow color

Post by WimScholtes » 28 Oct 2009, 14:37

Hi,

I'm using the theme for a few days now and I must say: I love it :) . I tweaked a few things in the style.css to change the width of the main column and then learned how to do so with the settings (Custom CSS... page). Because of historical reasons, the size of the thumbnails (photo's I add with the posting) I use is 470px and I like it when this fills the posting column.

What I want to know is if it is possible to change the color of the shadow of the page. Im using a custom background image and now I get a light grey background and I want this to be darker (of even better: dark grey with the background image shining through :shock: ). Is there somewhere a setting I can use for setting the shadow color?

Greetings...
Wim (http://www.ischoltes.nl)

PS I translated the po/mo file to Dutch but I have to check it sometime this week. If it is ready/checked I will post it.

sayontan
Site Admin

Re: Shadow color

Post by sayontan » 28 Oct 2009, 16:14

Wim,
This is quite easy (and I have been meaning to add an option for it since a very long time). You can go to the Custom Styles section and put in this:

Code: Select all

#wrapper.shadow {
	/* Shadows - CSS3 for browsers that support it */
	box-shadow: 10px 10px 5px #888;
	-moz-box-shadow: 10px 10px 5px #888;
	-khtml-box-shadow: 10px 10px 5px #888;
	-webkit-box-shadow: 10px 10px 5px #888;
}
Change the color from #888 to whatever you wish.

I will be very happy to include your Dutch translation - looks like I will have all the European languages pretty soon! Send it across when you are ready.

By the way, I am also planning to release 800px and 1200px width variants sometime soon. It needs a good bit of testing before I can release it.

Sayontan.

WimScholtes

Post by WimScholtes » 29 Oct 2009, 13:33

Sayontan,

Thanks for your quick reaction. I did put in the code in the correct place.......and it did not work. After a few tries, I changed the original style.css and even then: no change. Whatever I do, I always get a light grey shadow :( . Even when I place comment markers around the #wrapper.shadow, I still get the light grey shadow. So what's going wrong. I haven't a clue but I think you are far out more experienced so maybe you have an idea?

If you are making width variants like you mentioned, is it then possible to use variables in CSS so you don't have to use predefined widths like 800, 1000 and so on but you choose your own, like 775 (or something else with ofcourse a minimum width)? That would be pretty neat.

Greetings...
Wim

PS Will send you the Dutch translation soon.

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 29 Oct 2009, 13:54

Wim,
When I look at your page's code, I don't see the custom style that you put in. Are you sure you made the change? Or did you roll it back?

The trouble with providing a configurable width is that the theme will get messed up. If you notice, the only thing that is fixed in width is the calendar icon (where the date appears). When I did the initial design of the blog I hadn't envisioned so many users with so many requirements, so I used a fixed width format. Most users have been content with the overall width being 1000px, so it has not been a big issue yet. But a few users have asked for narrower settings and some have requested that it be made flexible width and that it occupy the full width of the page! It is tough to keep everybody happy. :?

I think I will have to provide 2 variants - fixed width and flexible (fluid) width. The fluid width layout will not have the calendar icon where it is currently. I will have to give this some more thought.

WimScholtes

Post by WimScholtes » 29 Oct 2009, 14:23

Sayontan,

Yes I did roll it back, sorry. I have added the code again and changed the color to #000000 (black if I am not mistaken).

I understand your thoughts and know it is pretty impossible to meet everybodies wishes. I am in IT myself and know that a lot of systems are perfect....... until the users are going to use it :lol: .

Greetings...
Wim

PS Where do you want me to send the Dutch translation to?

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 30 Oct 2009, 07:49

Wim,
I must have been half-asleep when I provided the code to you. Please remove the ".shadow" from "#wrapper.shadow" and you should be fine.

Regards,
Sayontan.

WimScholtes

Post by WimScholtes » 30 Oct 2009, 13:29

Sayontan,

Half-asleep, haha :lol: , no problem at all, I changed the code and it's working fine now. Thanks a lot!!

Greetings...
Wim

WimScholtes

Post by WimScholtes » 01 Nov 2009, 10:01

PS,

You referred to standard widths like 800px and 1200px but is it an idea to publish the layout (all the frames) of the theme like you do in the settings under 'Sidebar and Widget Area' and then with the widths you use now? That will be helpful if someone wants to change the widths to a very personal size ;) .

Greetings...
Wim

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 01 Nov 2009, 10:20

Hmm... Well, I made a release with a customizable outer width (2.5.4, not yet approved). So you can set any value above 600px for the outer width. I can try providing a breakdown of the individual widths for better customizability sometime later.

WimScholtes

Post by WimScholtes » 01 Nov 2009, 12:24

Ok, I'll wait patient ;) .

Greetings...
Wim