Can responsive nav menu be collapse instead of dropdown?

General questions pertaining to how certain issues can be resolved. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.

1. No offensive language and no mocking
2. Please do a thorough search before you post something. Trust us, there is a high probability that the question you are asking has been asked previously.
3. No soliciting. You cannot post here soliciting bids for people offer you quotes, or even offer money to people for some work. You will be moderated if you do so. If you are looking for help, please post your request on http://jobs.wordpress.net or http://codepoet.com
4. Please be reasonable. You are getting software and support. For free. Complicated requests from a general purpose theme are not welcome and some volunteers might lose patience with you.
5. Please do your due diligence. If you posted a query and we answered with a link, take the trouble to go through the link contents.
6. Please post with complete information. Requests for help MUST be accompanied with your URL, particularly if you are asking something like "Why am I seeing a blank space?"
drake

Re: Can responsive nav menu be collapse instead of dropdown?

Post by drake » 02 Jun 2014, 19:16

Then check the triggers resolutions from Suffusion Options -> Layouts -> Responsive Layout, from where the Navigation Bar became a select list? And also, try to see if you don't have any function/js added for implementing another solution for select lists.

andersonmultimedia

Post by andersonmultimedia » 02 Jun 2014, 20:06

I settled the Nav Menu trigger to 480 (was set at 980). I didn't have any function/js for any other solution on this site. I also changed the position: on the #nav from fixed to relative because some of the nav <li>s were hidden off the screen between 480 and 900. This isn't perfect because now the nav menu scrolls vertically, but it's better than cutting off the nav bar and the collapse menu looks better.

drake

Post by drake » 02 Jun 2014, 22:55

Need to work with fixed position too, as it is on my site... In fact I think that the best combination is a fixed nav+collapse menu because it maintain the nav button always on screen even on small devices.

andersonmultimedia

Post by andersonmultimedia » 11 Jun 2014, 07:02

Hi Drake. I put it back to fixed. But do you know why the expanded responsive nav is in-front of the page content, instead of pushing the content down below the nav as it does where I installed your plugin on other sites?

drake

Post by drake » 12 Jun 2014, 11:16

When you fix the navigation bar you put it on another layer, above the content. Only in this way the content can flow below the navigation bar. Of course, when expand this layer, the collapsible menu is over the content layer, and cannot push it down. Think a little in 3D this case :)

I don't consider this to be a problem... a user expand the menu to move on another page, not to admire the content in the same time (and we already have decided that the navigation can cover the content when we fixed it). After selecting the menu item, the new page will be opened and it's content will be visible.

andersonmultimedia

Post by andersonmultimedia » 12 Jun 2014, 11:47

Thanks Drake. I agree - it is not a problem. But I kind of like the effect of the content sliding down, and then, up when the nav gets expanded/collapsed. But maybe it's not so simple to have the fixed nav sticky header as well - huh?

drake

Post by drake » 12 Jun 2014, 11:53

It is impossible to have a fixed header and a sliding content, at least only by CSS... Maybe can obtain something by Javascript, but I don't break my head on this wall :lol:

andersonmultimedia

Post by andersonmultimedia » 12 Jun 2014, 12:16

Thanks x100! I will not be pursuing a Javascript solution for this. At least now I know what is (not) possible with CSS.

andersonmultimedia

Post by andersonmultimedia » 02 Jul 2014, 11:31

Hi Drake,

I am having 2 issues with your new plugin on http://sandbox.andersonmultimedia.com/

1. When I collapse browser past 480, no menu appears. I tried adding .nav-toggle:before {color: #000000;} but no luck.

2. Images in page content do not scale proportionately. If you look at http://sandbox.andersonmultimedia.com/popmart/ you'll notice that some of the page images squish horizontally. But with the plugin deactivated, they all scale proportionately.

Could you shed any light?

Thanks!

drake

Post by drake » 02 Jul 2014, 11:48

You have a plugin or something for scrolling which is broken and break all javascripts which follows, starting with suffusion.js. Without suffusion.js the navigation is broken and my plugin don't have what element to transform....