Mobile Usability Issues

General questions pertaining to how certain issues can be resolved. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.

1. No offensive language and no mocking
2. Please do a thorough search before you post something. Trust us, there is a high probability that the question you are asking has been asked previously.
3. No soliciting. You cannot post here soliciting bids for people offer you quotes, or even offer money to people for some work. You will be moderated if you do so. If you are looking for help, please post your request on http://jobs.wordpress.net or http://codepoet.com
4. Please be reasonable. You are getting software and support. For free. Complicated requests from a general purpose theme are not welcome and some volunteers might lose patience with you.
5. Please do your due diligence. If you posted a query and we answered with a link, take the trouble to go through the link contents.
6. Please post with complete information. Requests for help MUST be accompanied with your URL, particularly if you are asking something like "Why am I seeing a blank space?"
Ron B

Mobile Usability Issues

Post by Ron B » 12 Feb 2015, 11:14

I've been using Suffusion for a few years now and I really like it but today I got an email from Google stating that basically every page on my Suffusion themed blog has "mobile usability issues"; site "errors" prevent the pages from displaying correctly on mobile devices. Since Suffusion has not been updated for some time now, I was wondering if a future update might address these mobile display issues or do I need to use some sort of plugin to deal with these errors?

Just wondering which way I should go with this....

Colin

Re: Mobile Usability Issues

Post by Colin » 12 Feb 2015, 11:46

I got one of these too.

IMHO it is a load of b......ks.

The site it told me about is fully responsive using the appropriate Suffusion options. I don't know how they are testing but the site scales on all small screen devices properly.

Ron B

Post by Ron B » 12 Feb 2015, 12:46

Would adding a viewport meta tag help? I don't want to mess up the Suffusion CSS, but where might one put a viewport meta tag in a style sheet that would affect the entire theme? Or can an HTML meta tag be added?

I'm not a coding expert, but I'm willing to give it a "trial and error" attempt.

Google must have changed something because I've had this Suffusion themed blog for years. It's image heavy so I know it's not going to be the fastest loading page on the internet, but with so many errors, not sure what the deal is.

Colin

Post by Colin » 12 Feb 2015, 12:55

If you have Suffusion set up to be responsive don't do it. See http://css-tricks.com/snippets/html/res ... -meta-tag/

Also it is built in to Suffusion already this is automatically output in the page templates.

Code: Select all

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width,initial-scale=1.0">

Ron B

Post by Ron B » 12 Feb 2015, 12:58

Colin wrote:If you have Suffusion set up to be responsive don't do it. See http://css-tricks.com/snippets/html/res ... -meta-tag/

Also it is built in to Suffusion already this is automatically output in the page templates.

Code: Select all

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width,initial-scale=1.0">
I kind of figured it was in there somewhere, I just couldn't find it. Not sure what else can be done.

Colin

Post by Colin » 12 Feb 2015, 14:16

It is only there if you have the responsive options enabled.

bucks

Post by bucks » 12 Feb 2015, 17:23

Is there any consensus at to how to deal with this? I got the Google alert too, which incidentally states outright that the fact they consider the site to be NOT viewable in mobile WILL affect search results placements.

I don't mess with code or CSS or anything. I use Suffusion because I can get good results without doing any coding or CSS mods so I'm hoping someone can explain how to handle this situation.

BTW, we do NOT have the Suffusion responsive options enabled, but the site zooms and views beautifully on all devices. However, Google is forcing TRUE responsive - the complete removal of side bars, menus collapsing into tappable bars, etc. They consider any left-right scrolling to be out of bounds.

I've not ever investigated the use of the Suffusion responsive options so I'm not sure what the result would be on our site anyway.

Ron B

Post by Ron B » 12 Feb 2015, 21:11

I do not have Responsive Layouts enabled. As far as I can see on my 320 x 480 Android phone, my blog displays fine. Of course, with a 3.8" screen some of the objects, especially some of the fonts are hard to see in the portrait mode but are readable in landscape mode so I'm not sure what the problem is.

What exactly happens when a website does not conform to Google's standards? This statement; "These pages will not be seen as mobile-friendly by Google Search, and will therefore be displayed and ranked appropriately for smartphone users." sounds like a threat. What is the point of any SEO if Google is going to punish you for not meeting their standards? Everyone tries to get better search engine results and Google is the big dog, looks like either play ball or have your blog or website disappear from Google search results.

Colin

Post by Colin » 13 Feb 2015, 04:31

Given that Google now seem to be penalising this then I suggest cloning your site to a development sub-domain using something like the Duplicator plugin. The sort out the responsive in the development environment and then take those settings back to the live site.

Ron B

Post by Ron B » 13 Feb 2015, 09:19

Colin wrote:Given that Google now seem to be penalising this then I suggest cloning your site to a development sub-domain using something like the Duplicator plugin. The sort out the responsive in the development environment and then take those settings back to the live site.
I'll look into that but I think that Google frowns on the use of plugins. I'm going to play around with the Responsive Layouts and see if that satisfies the Google demands. Since I have a media heavy website, I've toyed with the idea of making a mobile-only site, but it's a lot of work and nobody seems to have any problems with it. I've not had a single complaint from visitors using mobile devices to the Suffusion blog about problems viewing the pages.