SEO is no longer there after upgrade

General questions pertaining to how certain issues can be resolved. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.

1. No offensive language and no mocking
2. Please do a thorough search before you post something. Trust us, there is a high probability that the question you are asking has been asked previously.
3. No soliciting. You cannot post here soliciting bids for people offer you quotes, or even offer money to people for some work. You will be moderated if you do so. If you are looking for help, please post your request on http://jobs.wordpress.net or http://codepoet.com
4. Please be reasonable. You are getting software and support. For free. Complicated requests from a general purpose theme are not welcome and some volunteers might lose patience with you.
5. Please do your due diligence. If you posted a query and we answered with a link, take the trouble to go through the link contents.
6. Please post with complete information. Requests for help MUST be accompanied with your URL, particularly if you are asking something like "Why am I seeing a blank space?"
masteringmeatless

SEO is no longer there after upgrade

Post by masteringmeatless » 05 Mar 2016, 11:52

Hello, I just upgraded my Suffusion theme today and now on new and existing posts, under the "Additional Options for Suffusion" section, my SEO settings are no longer there.

How do I enter my meta description and add my SEO terms now? Maybe this is a bug. Has anyone else noticed this? I don't want to make any new posts until I get it back. Please help if I'm missing a setting somehow or something.

Thanks!

Colin

Re: SEO is no longer there after upgrade

Post by Colin » 05 Mar 2016, 12:22

It is covered in the release notes. SEO had to be removed as the WPTRT insist that SEO should be done by a plugin not the theme.

You need to add one of the SEO plugins. See this post on Drake's site about what you need to do http://www.drafie-design.nl/migrating-s ... for-posts/

masteringmeatless

Post by masteringmeatless » 06 Mar 2016, 19:00

Thank you so much. I am not familiar enough to see the release notes - I didn't see them. I'm sorry about that. Thanks again!

Colin

Post by Colin » 07 Mar 2016, 00:25

You should check the release notes on themes and plugins before you update them to ensure you have any problems like this covered before you update. They are contained in the Details link when you are offered the upgrade in your Wordpress dashboard and are also on the appropriate page on the Wordpress.org site.

bucks

Post by bucks » 12 May 2016, 09:22

Hi,
Can I please get some clarification on this situation? I accidentally just applied the 4.4.9 update and of course, now there are no SEO options. I had been postponing doing this until I better understood what losing the SEO Options within the theme would mean to me. But I got a bit click-happy today on updates and boom, it's done.

Does the fact that I applied the update mean that I have LOST all the meta data and other SEO related tagging, etc on ALL the posts in my entire blog or does it just mean that until I install some sort of SEO plugin, I won't be able to apply meta data to NEW posts? I wasn't able to figure that out from the info provided about the change.

I have a full backup from yesterday. Should I have my host re-install that and THEN install an SEO plugin?

Will installing an SEO plugin grab and preserve all of my current meta data on all existing posts? I saw the post about Drake's work around but I didn't really understand what I was reading and didn't understand what the end result would be.

Your help is much appreciated as always. Thank you.

Colin

Post by Colin » 12 May 2016, 12:33

You should not have lost your old SEO. Follow the instructions in my OP above about reading and following Drake's blog post.

bucks

Post by bucks » 13 May 2016, 10:11

Colin wrote:You should not have lost your old SEO. Follow the instructions in my OP above about reading and following Drake's blog post.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

There are two things that are in question:

1. When I view the source of my blog posts now (since applying the Suffusion update), none of my pages have any metadata at all - no page descriptions, no keywords, nothing. That is in contrast to "You should not have lost your old SEO." When I view the source of the same posts via the "Waybackmachine" on the internet archive, there is meta data there, such as the page descriptions and keywords. See screen cap here: http://screencast.com/t/ZIQN5LqnjZ This shows the html for our blogs home page now and in March (prior to update).

2. Re Drake's post, there is nothing in there (and so I still don't know) about whether the process must be done BEFORE the update was applied. I don't see how doing it now, after the update, can have any effect since as far as I can tell, all of my meta data is gone. Please confirm whether I must restore my blog from a backup PRIOR to the theme update before I go through with Drake's process.

As I see it, unfortunately, this is what I must do. Please let me know if I'm right or wrong and please correct any mistakes in my assumptions or steps.

1. Restore my blog from backup taken BEFORE the Suffusion 4.4.9 update was applied.
2. Download and install an SEO plugin to my WP installation (such as "All In One SEO Pack")
3. Use Drake's method and tool to move all meta data from my blog & posts (within the Suffusion theme) and INTO the SEO plugin.
4. Update Suffusion again to 4.4.9
5. Done

Thanks very much.

Colin

Post by Colin » 13 May 2016, 11:06

Never having had the problem I don't know for certain.

It is highly likely that the metadata is in the database and has not disappeared it just cannot be displayed as the functionality has been removed.

If it was me I would start at number 2 on your list and run from there. If it doesn't work you can always start again at number 1. I am pretty certain that starting at #2 will get you where you want to be.

Make sure you report back when you have finished so that everyone else can benefit.

bucks

Post by bucks » 13 May 2016, 18:37

I will definitely report my methods and results here.

In the mean time, before I move ahead - has ANYONE successfully attempted Drake's work arounds, or added All-In-One-SEO AFTER applying the 4.4.9 update?

Figured I'd ask one more time before I proceed with whatever I attempt on Monday.

BTW, I found that my blog's backup system - Updraft - will allow me to restore JUST the theme if I wish, so that may be the first thing I try.

drake

Post by drake » 14 May 2016, 15:05

Hi Buck,

I replied to your comment on my blog. In short, you could use any of my methods to migrate the SEO data, even if you already upgraded the theme. Your old Suffusion SEO metadata are still present in the database and can be moved to a plugin.

You will not see them anymore neither in backend neither in the page source as Sayontan removed the functions for adding or printing these fields, but he didn't remove them from the database.