SEO is no longer there after upgrade

General questions pertaining to how certain issues can be resolved. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.

1. No offensive language and no mocking
2. Please do a thorough search before you post something. Trust us, there is a high probability that the question you are asking has been asked previously.
3. No soliciting. You cannot post here soliciting bids for people offer you quotes, or even offer money to people for some work. You will be moderated if you do so. If you are looking for help, please post your request on http://jobs.wordpress.net or http://codepoet.com
4. Please be reasonable. You are getting software and support. For free. Complicated requests from a general purpose theme are not welcome and some volunteers might lose patience with you.
5. Please do your due diligence. If you posted a query and we answered with a link, take the trouble to go through the link contents.
6. Please post with complete information. Requests for help MUST be accompanied with your URL, particularly if you are asking something like "Why am I seeing a blank space?"
bucks

Re: SEO is no longer there after upgrade

Post by bucks » 18 May 2016, 10:17

Thank you for the reply here and on your blog (I had missed seeing the replies until now). I had to put off dealing with this for a few days and had planned to revisit the issue this week. So it is great to see your response that the data is still in the database and that I can use your migration method and AIO SEO going forward without having to restore a backup or anything like that.

I'll be taking care of it this week and will report on my experience here in this thread.

Thanks again.

bucks

Post by bucks » 18 May 2016, 13:13

<UPDATE>

After installing the AIO SEO plugin and the Migration Tool plugin from Drake, I've run into a snag.

The following statement appears in the settings area of the Migration Tool as well as in the README.TXT file that was in the tool's zip folder:

"Copy manually the informations from Suffusion Options ->Backend -> SEO/Meta Settings to corresponding fields from All In One SEO -> General Settings. The plugin is intended to migrate only the SEO META DATA for all individual posts."

I don't understand this statement at all. The 2 problems I have with it are:
1. Since updating the Suffusion theme, there is no Suffusion Options ->Backend -> SEO/Meta Settings. What am I supposed to do in this case and what in fact is being referenced here?

2. If the tool is only meant to migrate keywords, what happens to <META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT=, and <META NAME="ABSTRACT" CONTENT and page titles and other SEO things, etc?

Also, the AIO SEO Plugin settings area is incredibly detailed with a huge number of options. Are there any things, beside "set the SEO plugin keywords to enabled" that I should do in the SEO plugin settings?

*Please note that I am a very basic user and use automated updaters, installers, etc and I don't edit code or themes in the backend or anything like that. So if I need to do anything that doesn't involve just clicking a check box or something like that, I'd REALLY appreciate some detail in your instructions. Apologies for my ignorance.

Thanks very much for your continuing help on this issue - hopefully it will prove useful to others also.
Cheers,
Buck

drake

Post by drake » 18 May 2016, 15:22

1. You have to complete manually those 2 fields... They are the title and the description of your site, you cannot forget them...
2. Who's said that the plugin is meant to migrate only the keywords??? I don't care about keywords at all... Google don't care about them... don't read them... Why I bother with them???

But my plugin still move all meta tags defined in Suffusion SEO metafields for each post to the AIO SEO Pack... Not sure what is meaning meta-name="Abstract", this not coming from Suffusion. Are you sure that you not use some other plugin or functions for SEO?

To resume... after using my plugin - your SEO title, SEO description, SEO keywords previously defined in Additional Options for Suffusion will be live under AIO SEO Pack meta fields.

About AIO settings, the fields from setting are pretty self explanatory. But can let almost anything as are settled by default, the default settings are good enough.

bucks

Post by bucks » 19 May 2016, 10:51

drake wrote:1. You have to complete manually those 2 fields... They are the title and the description of your site, you cannot forget them...
OK, I think I understand.
drake wrote:But my plugin still move all meta tags defined in Suffusion SEO metafields for each post to the AIO SEO Pack... Not sure what is meaning meta-name="Abstract", this not coming from Suffusion. Are you sure that you not use some other plugin or functions for SEO?

To resume... after using my plugin - your SEO title, SEO description, SEO keywords previously defined in Additional Options for Suffusion will be live under AIO SEO Pack meta fields.
Note that the default setting in AIO SEO is for "Autogenerate Descriptions" to be selected. (see screen cap attached) If I use the migration tool to bring in the descriptions I used to have in Suffusion, does this setting overwrite them? I can't figure it out from the plugin's own documentation. It does not explicitly say how it will be handled.

Thanks
Attachments
autogenCapture.PNG
autogenCapture.PNG (22.07 KiB) Viewed 4390 times

drake

Post by drake » 19 May 2016, 13:40

Yes, let that option selected... Is meaning that IF you don't supply your own customized description, AIO will generate one from your content.
BUT, if you add a customized description (or import those from Suffusion with my plugin), AIO will use the customized descriptions.... That easy...

Please, go and edit a post... any post without SEO title or SEO description... Below edit area will find AIO section. Even if you didn't added any description, you can see a snippet which look exactly as on Google search... It already contain a title (post title), and a description generated from post content... Below, the fields for title and description are already filled with these information, in a gray color.

But try to write something instead of those grayed texts... Wow... the snippet is changed as you write...

So... if you import the old metadata from Suffusion with my plugin, those metadata will overwrite the automated metadata... If not, all your posts will use the metadata generated automatically by AIO.

Bucks... the best SEO approach is to write the post for users as for crawlers. The crawlers come and read your post... The SEO plugins, or SEO options from a theme let you to fool the crawler... Under some circumstances this will works, but on the long term, better is for crawler to find exactly what the users find...

By eg. looking at the "keywords" thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK7IPbnmvVU
The presentation is very old, from 2008 as I remember... Meantime Google changed the algorithm... Panda and Penguin look to penalize spammers and black hat SEO... Now, it read keywords... for penalize your site! If keywords are present, but they aren't relevant for the real content, your site is penalized... the same strategy is used for links and for anything... Google consider all of us "guilty by nature" and their algorithms only reduces our guiltiness...

Trust me... the best strategy for Google is "write your content for humans, not for crawlers"...

fajmp

Post by fajmp » 30 Nov 2016, 14:03

I have to say I panicked when I made a post and the seo was gone! It took a few minutes of clearning my mind and realizing that I had updated and that must be the cause. But coming on here has always solved my problems and it was no different this time. I just don't want to let go of suffusion (although there seems to be a lot of errors when I check the html etc) I tried others and they just don't cut it after using Suffusion. I downloaded the migration tool from Drake http://www.drafie-design.nl/migrating-s ... for-posts/ and the All in One Seo https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/all ... -seo-pack/ and it worked like a charm. Phew :D Thank you!