Featured posts struggle

General questions pertaining to how certain issues can be resolved. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.

1. No offensive language and no mocking
2. Please do a thorough search before you post something. Trust us, there is a high probability that the question you are asking has been asked previously.
3. No soliciting. You cannot post here soliciting bids for people offer you quotes, or even offer money to people for some work. You will be moderated if you do so. If you are looking for help, please post your request on http://jobs.wordpress.net or http://codepoet.com
4. Please be reasonable. You are getting software and support. For free. Complicated requests from a general purpose theme are not welcome and some volunteers might lose patience with you.
5. Please do your due diligence. If you posted a query and we answered with a link, take the trouble to go through the link contents.
6. Please post with complete information. Requests for help MUST be accompanied with your URL, particularly if you are asking something like "Why am I seeing a blank space?"
appdroidnl

Featured posts struggle

Post by appdroidnl » 07 Dec 2010, 14:02

Hi fellow bloggers,

From the beginning on, I struggle with the featured post, I dont seem to grasp how I make the different images look nice.
I tried it with using featured images, an image resize, without an featuring image, insert an image at it's actual size, for the widget, like the box is 720x400 so i created an image that size. I'm getting really confused about what to do..or not...
Would someone like to tell me how they post a story with using the featured post? Thank you very kindly in advance!

MMar

Re: Featured posts struggle

Post by MMar » 07 Dec 2010, 18:54

Hi, Sanyosan and the volunteers here,

(I hope that I am posting this the correct way, as I could not find any button that said "post", only "reply.")

First, I want to congratulate you on the best theme I have yet seen or tried in WP. It is excellent and allows so much customization that I am really happy with it. You have a fantastic ability to organize many and complex features into really easy systems to deal with. You also took the time to do an excellent theme that allows for most of a blogge'rs needs and wishes! My deepest appreciation. :D

I only have a couple of problems with the slide sorter.

Here is my site:
http://dreamalchemist.com/blog

1. When I change graphics on a post, the slide sorter stays with the old ones no matter what I do.
2. When I place two photos or graphics on a post, one large at the top and a smaller one within the text, the slide sorter chooses the small one and then gets so attached to it and even if I take it out, it still shows it and will not show the new one.
3. Even when I specify a featured image in the post, the sorter stays with whatever image it got obsessed with! :roll:

I have removed the refreshed the page, removed the cache and brought up a new tab, but the sorter still shows the same old pages.

As I just imported my old blog to this one, I have a lot of updating to do and I am posting new graphics, so this has quickly become an issue.

4. Finally, I would love to place the graphics in the slide sorter at the center, as they are not all as large as the available space, and they look really bad to the left, with empty space to the right. (Because my excerpts are 110 words long, they don't look good to the side.) I don't see anywhere to specify a central location to the images in the slider. I've tried specifying "center" in the image media center both for the post image and the featured image, but it does not seem to affect the slider. Is there a code I can simply place somewhere to get this effect? If it is not possible to specify a central location, is there any other creative way to allow different size graphics to look good with my set up?

I have the following settings:
Slide sorter:
custom size
Total side :500
Picture side: 300
Slide transition: Fade
Title with excerpts at the bottom. My excerpts are 110 words.

I appreciate your time and energy and once again want to express my gratitude for your excellent work!

Light and love,
MMar

appdroidnl

Post by appdroidnl » 08 Dec 2010, 08:27

@MMar: When you tap on "Support Requests" at the top of the Forum you see a link start new topic :)

On topic: I did manage to figure out what i did wrong, i thought it was enough to use wp featured image, seems i did totally oversee the box for the suffision theme... :oops:
I was really confused with it :roll:
Anyway it works like a charm as you can see on http://www.appdroid.nl Nice featured post with high res images!! :mrgreen:

A word of thank you to sayontan, for making, creating and maintaning such a fine theme, a donation is on its way! :)

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 08 Dec 2010, 12:45

On topic: I did manage to figure out what i did wrong, i thought it was enough to use wp featured image, seems i did totally oversee the box for the suffision theme...
You should be able to do this with the next version. Mind you, the featured content functionality predates the WP featured image, and in version 2.9, when the WP featured image was introduced, it used to be called "Post Thumbnail", hence it was never tied to the featured content slider.

MMar,
Your best option is to use the custom Featured Image field where it says "Additional Options for Suffusion"

appdroidnl

Post by appdroidnl » 08 Dec 2010, 16:52

Thank you for the explanation, would be awesome to have that feature in a next version. I switched from Joomla to Wordpress, seems my brain didn't grasp that yet completely :)