German Translation 3.1.5

Translations of Suffusion into other languages. This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Forum rules
This forum is closed with effect from February 2019. Please post future requests on https://github.com/sayontan/suffusion.
Connie

German Translation 3.1.5

Post by Connie » 05 Jan 2010, 03:58

Unfortunately there is a misunderstanding.

The last-actual german translation which I did was included in release 3.1.5 as de_DE-sie.po and de_DE-sie.mo
This translation will never come active because the german language shortcut is de_DE.

So why this misunderstanding? It is my fault, I was not clear enough.

We have 2 grammatical forms to adress people in german language, the informal "Du" and the formal "Sie".
Because of misunderstood american and english "style" many german people tend to use "Du" in the internet as standard.
I am an old-school person and I think the formal approach is better.... if I respect people.
When I translate a language file I do this in the formal version.
But the result, whether informal or formal, should be "de_DE-files"

Users who just downloaded the fresh Suffusion Release 3.1.5 can rename the files de_DE-sie.mo and will get a nearly complete translation,

As the new version came with 4 new untranslated text-snippets, I translated these and attach them here. Users who want to the topmost actual version can use these and download them to their wp-content\themes\suffusion\translation-directory.

I hope I cleared some points. Please excuse the confusion.

Cheers, Connie
Attachments
de_DE.zip
de_DE.mo and de_DE.po for Version 3.1.5 (using formal approach: Sie)
(14.84 KiB) Downloaded 600 times

sayontan
Site Admin

Re: German Translation 3.1.5

Post by sayontan » 05 Jan 2010, 12:10

Connie,
That is not entirely correct. You can actually go to your wp-config.php and put in this:

Code: Select all

define ('WPLANG', 'de_DE-sie');
Your strings will automatically be translated as per the de_DE-sie file. For missing texts the translation that will be picked up is English. WordPress is flexible and so it allows you to use non-standard localization file names; there is nothing preventing you from doing this.

Sayontan.

Connie

Post by Connie » 06 Jan 2010, 02:53

Sayontan,

if WordPress behaves like this and accepts also invalid Mime-Declarations (is this the right word, I am not sure),
then

1. there should be 2 versions: de_DE_Sie and de_DE_Du (which is the informal version)
2. one of that should be delivered as de_DE, because that is the most common statement if there is one in the config-file
3. it should be explained in the changelog

by now, the de_DE-version (which is the oldest and most incomplete one) is activated as default, because it is also in the package

There was a poll at the german WordPress-Side, which version should be choosen as standard, and unfortunately 70% voted for the "Du"-version, 30% voted for the "Sie"-Version

I can do an informal "Du-"version as well, but you should decide which version should be standard (de_DE) and it will need an explanation in the release notes.

Cheers,
Connie

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 06 Jan 2010, 05:21

I have an updated Du version from Manfred. It will be included with the next version.

swopo

Post by swopo » 08 Jan 2010, 12:13

hey @ all!

I was carefully reading the language chapters. But now I am more confused than before. In one post was said, that it is not possible to change the language of the theme-administration surface to another language but what I read here is the contrary. Ok, I am not so "in" the subject, but I am a standard-experienced user of WP.
Now please tell me: How can I change my Theme settings to German? My config-php already contains that line to a German file, but this refers to the general blog menu. Is there any setting for the Theme? Hope I did not ask too stupid.. :oops:
ThanX for any help!

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 08 Jan 2010, 16:05

Swopo,
These are very good questions that require answering. The key in your question is "it is not possible to change the language of the theme-administration". There are many aspects of Suffusion, but largely they can be grouped into 3:
  1. The theme options (theme administration)
  2. The widgets (blog administration)
  3. The theme (what your visitors see)
The theme options are what you see when you click "Suffusion Theme Options". Suffusion has an incredibly large number of options - well over 200. The file that controls theme options is almost 3500 lines long. If I was to make this file translation-enabled, not only would I go mad, but the theme translators would hate me. So I will not make the theme options (theme administration) translatable.

Suffusion comes with a handful of widgets. These can be seen in Appearance -> Widgets. These have been made translatable, in keeping with the other widgets that you have.

The theme is what your users get to see when they visit your site. This has been made fully translatable too. To give you an example, take the string "Posted by abc at 7:00 pm", that you see at the bottom left of each post. This is something that comes with the theme, but is not a theme option. This has been made translatable, so that the German translation file, when loaded, will show you this string in German.

Now, here is what you need to know. When a visitor is seeing your site, really what matters is the translation file for your theme (of course, if you have some other plugins / widgets from other places, then their translation files matter, too), because that is what is seen by the visitors. Everything else is something that only you will see, like the theme options and the widgets.

Consider the fact that I have an English blog, so I am using the default en_US localization. But I don't like some of the text and I would like to change it. Let's say I want to say "ABC posted this at 7:00pm" instead of "Posted by ABC at 7:00pm". I can actually take the English file en_US.po, make a copy of it as en_US-mine.po, define translation texts only for the above and save the new file. I can then change the line in wp-config.php to say

define ('WPLANG', 'en_US-mine');
That's it. Everything else will behave the same on your blog, only you will see "ABC posted this at 7:00pm" instead of the original text. The admin pages will not recognize the new translation file, so the admin pages will all default to the original English texts.

Now let us take an example that applies to this thread. There is the regular de_DE.po file (Du version) and the Sie version, de_DE-sie.po. I can put in this in wp-config.php:

define ('WPLANG', 'de_DE');
Then this is what will happen:
  1. The blog will get translated as per the de_DE.po file in the folder suffusion/translation
  2. If you have a German installation of WordPress from http://de.wordpress.org/, then all your admin pages will be translated in German. This is because the German installation of WP has a file called de_DE.po in the wp-content/languages folder. If you have the regular installation of WP from http://wordpress.org, your admin pages will continue to be in English.
  3. Your theme options page ("Suffusion Theme Options") will be in English, because that doesn't have translations available.
Now let's say you put this in wp-config.php:

define ('WPLANG', 'de_DE-sie');
Then this is what will happen:
  1. The blog will get translated as per the de_DE-sie.po file in the folder suffusion/translation
  2. It doesn't matter where your WordPress installation is from, http://de.wordpress.org/ or http://wordpress.org, you will only see English text in your admin pages. This is because there is no file called de_DE-sie.po in your wp-content/languages folder.
  3. Your theme options page ("Suffusion Theme Options") will be in English, because that doesn't have translations available.
Hope this helps.

swopo

Post by swopo » 02 Feb 2010, 07:14

sayontan wrote:
Hope this helps.
it did! ;-) Thank you...

BlogBomber

Post by BlogBomber » 10 Mar 2011, 14:05

sayontan wrote:Swopo,
These are very good questions that require answering. The key in your question is "it is not possible to change the language of the theme-administration". There are many aspects of Suffusion, but largely they can be grouped into 3:
  1. The theme options (theme administration)
  2. The widgets (blog administration)
  3. The theme (what your visitors see)
The theme options are what you see when you click "Suffusion Theme Options". Suffusion has an incredibly large number of options - well over 200. The file that controls theme options is almost 3500 lines long. If I was to make this file translation-enabled, not only would I go mad, but the theme translators would hate me. So I will not make the theme options (theme administration) translatable.

Suffusion comes with a handful of widgets. These can be seen in Appearance -> Widgets. These have been made translatable, in keeping with the other widgets that you have.

The theme is what your users get to see when they visit your site. This has been made fully translatable too. To give you an example, take the string "Posted by abc at 7:00 pm", that you see at the bottom left of each post. This is something that comes with the theme, but is not a theme option. This has been made translatable, so that the German translation file, when loaded, will show you this string in German.

Now, here is what you need to know. When a visitor is seeing your site, really what matters is the translation file for your theme (of course, if you have some other plugins / widgets from other places, then their translation files matter, too), because that is what is seen by the visitors. Everything else is something that only you will see, like the theme options and the widgets.

Consider the fact that I have an English blog, so I am using the default en_US localization. But I don't like some of the text and I would like to change it. Let's say I want to say "ABC posted this at 7:00pm" instead of "Posted by ABC at 7:00pm". I can actually take the English file en_US.po, make a copy of it as en_US-mine.po, define translation texts only for the above and save the new file. I can then change the line in wp-config.php to say

define ('WPLANG', 'en_US-mine');
That's it. Everything else will behave the same on your blog, only you will see "ABC posted this at 7:00pm" instead of the original text. The admin pages will not recognize the new translation file, so the admin pages will all default to the original English texts.
Sayontan,

I have been looking for a Portuguese or Spanish translation of the latest Aquoid release. I am pretty new to computers, but my employer has me running a blog for the company and I was hoping you may be able to help us as I build my blog. Thank you very much in advance for any advice you can give me. I hate having to [LINK EDITED - SPAM WARNING].

Hannah987

Post by Hannah987 » 14 Jul 2011, 03:04

You need not have to worry for your strings. It will automatically be translated as per the de_DE-sie file. This is what WordPress is best at for being flexible.

[LINK EDITED - SPAM WARNING]