issue with random grid and gallery sorting ( 500px )

General questions on how to do things using Photonic.

This forum is not actively monitored. For support topics please post them to https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/photonic/.
ronthedon

issue with random grid and gallery sorting ( 500px )

Post by ronthedon » 08 Feb 2016, 10:55

Hello,

first of all THANKS A LOT for this plugin. Really appreciate ur hard work :).

I have installed it and things are working pretty well. I am using it with 500px exclusively atm and with that I am using the random grid option as well as calling the contents of a certain gallery.

I am having two issues with it atm unfortunately though.

1. the random grid order leaves random unfilled spaces where i.e. two larger photos are shown that don't fit next to one another which then causes further trouble downwards from that.

&

2. the pulled in images don't keep the order of images I set in my gallery on 500px.

Is there fixes for this and if so how would I fix it?

thanks a lot for your help
Ron

sayontan
Site Admin

Re: issue with random grid and gallery sorting ( 500px )

Post by sayontan » 17 Feb 2016, 18:19

Do you have a URL that I can see? As far as I am aware, there is no known issue with layouts in the random grid. The plugin automatically figures out what heights it should assign and does very precise arrangements. I have tested this with literally hundreds of photos across all the providers and on multiple themes. The only issue I can foresee in your case, without looking at a URL, is that you might have some sort of padding / margin defined that is overriding the plugin's settings.

Regarding your second question, The plugin tries to respect the order, but when you have different sizes, and when you try to achieve the perfect fit, more often than not the sizing algorithm will arrange things its own way.

Note that though this forum is hosted here (and the plugin links to it), I don't actively monitor it. Photonic has only about 1/5 the number of active users as Suffusion, and while Suffusion's volunteers are plenty, Photonic's aren't. Your chances of a response are going to be a lot higher if you post directly on the WP website (https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/photonic)

ronthedon

Post by ronthedon » 23 Feb 2016, 09:36

Hi Sayontan,

thanx for the answer and the link to the wordpress site.

I am stil dev'ing locally, so no link yet sorry. However, for some reason a couple days later a simple reload fixed the issue - no changes on that part of the site from my end, so no idea what the issue was.

The order issue I have fixed using the "collections" and "votes_count" feature:

[gallery type='500px' view='collections' feature='user' username='xxxxxx' view_id='portofolio' sort='votes_count' rpp='100']

I will ask this on the wordpress plugin site as well, but maybe somebody else here has some hints as well....

I would like to style the images displayed as in have them drop shadows. From what I saw that needs to be done within the plugin itsself or is there another way? "Another way" being preferred so the changes don't get killed when updating the plugin.

cheers

sayontan
Site Admin

Post by sayontan » 23 Feb 2016, 09:57

Shadows are controlled by CSS, which you can add to your child theme. That will keep it safe from plugin updates.