This is an easy one, thanks to the recently updated “Query Posts” widget. The “Query Posts” widget offers you a lot more in terms of what you can use it for, so be sure to play around with all the options there.
Here is what you do:
- Do not include the standard “Recent Posts” widget in your sidebar.
- Add the “Query Posts” widget to the sidebar.
- Set the number of posts you want to display.
- Set the order to be “Descending”, and order by “Creation Date”.
- Set the “Post Display Style” to be “Thumbnail and title” or “Thumbnail, title and excerpt”.
- Pick the right size for the thumbnail and pick an excerpt length.
- Set the categories to be shown as “Any Category”