Passing certain parameters to Photonic with the
gallery short-code you can make unauthenticated API calls on SmugMug to display the following:
You can also control various skinning aspects of how the thumbnails are displayed.
gallery short-code has to be invoked with
type='smugmug' to invoke the SmugMug functionality. Click on the links above to see examples. Note that you need to obtain an API key from SmugMug for this. The API Key has to be entered in Settings → Photonic → SmugMug → SmugMug Settings.
Obtaining an API Key (🔗)
As written above, a SmugMug API key is required for showing content from SmugMug. Obtaining the key is a straightforward process:
- Login to your SmugMug Account. Then go to the page to “Apply for an API Key“. Fill out the requisite details:
- Once you click on “Apply” in the above, you will be shown the details for your API key:
- You can save the above in Photonic → Settings → SmugMug → SmugMug Settings → SmugMug API Key and Photonic → Settings → SmugMug → SmugMug Settings → SmugMug API Secret.
- But hold on! You are not done yet! If you notice the setting, Photonic → Settings → SmugMug → SmugMug Settings → SmugMug API Key, it talks about adding a “Callback URL”. This setting is required if you wish to enable “Private Photos” on your site, or if you have private albums and need to find their IDs through Photonic → Helpers. Without setting the Callback URL you will not be able to get these features to work. To update the callback URL, go to your account settings from your SmugMug page:
- Then, in the resulting window, you can set the Callback URL correctly:
Now you should be done. If you had created your API keys before December 2016 (i.e. before version 1.57 of Photonic), please read the following section.
Accessing SmugMug in Photonic 1.57 and Higher (🔗)
In Photonic Version 1.57, the SmugMug interface was updated to use the latest version of Smugmug’s API, v2. This can cause your API keys to stop working unless you provide some authorization. Don’t worry – it is a lot easier than it sounds. This is what you do:
- Login to your Smugmug account.
- Go to the API Terms of Service at https://api.smugmug.com/api/developer/accept.
- You will be presented with this screen:
- If you accept the terms of service, select the two checkboxes and click “Accept”.
That’s it. Your galleries will now show up!